Check out my David Bowie find! Tell us about your surprise finds!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KeithH, May 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Well, there was the Fisher KX100 amp that I bought at a church sale for $5. Of course it didn't work, sat in my closet for almost 10 years, was fixed a year ago for $100, and is now at NOS Valves waiting for an overhaul. :)

Nice score, KeithH. I only need a few more RCA Bowies to have a complete set...

2. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I just need "Stage" - I have all the others.

3. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now Thread Starter

Thanks for the kinds words, everyone.

DavidF,

I don't think the Avalon target one of the rarer ones out there, so keep looking.

Geoff,

I wonder if the price on the RCA Stage set has come down now that the remaster is out. Then again, I don't know how the sound of the remaster compares to the RCA version. I don't like any of the Virgin Bowie remasters released before Stage. By the way, isn't Stage also supposed to be coming out on DVD-Audio too?

4. kevin

kevin Senior Member

The remaster of stage is pretty darn good imho.

5. KeithH

Thanks! I have the RCA version, so I wonder if the remaster is an upgrade soundwise.

6. fyrfytrhoges

fyrfytrhoges New Member

quite off the beaten path, but maybe one that hardcore beck fans will appreciate. i found a sealed copy of the "golden feelings" cd at my favorite indie shop. this was released by a tiny indie label without beck's permission and they had to recall it soon after with only 500 copies rumored to exist. ive never broken the seal as i found a booted copy on cdr and listened to it and its really bad, imo, early early recordings that beck will never allow to be released. but it is really rare as far as i know in sealed condition as it is.

7. KeithH

Cool!

8. Leppo

Leppo Forum Librarian

Keith, your sealed Bowie RCA blister packs are the holy grail, IMO. Thanks for sharing.

Pardon the superlative, but Tommy James (1970) might be my new favorite all-time album! :eek:

9. JWB

JWB New Member

That is a great find. Beck.com says there were 2,000 copies...though I had no problem finding a sealed copy 2 years later. I suspect that there may have been even more copies, and it was kept hush-hush. (Beck was totally pissed off about the CD.)

10. Leppo

Leppo Forum Librarian

Tommy James and the Shondells final gatefold photograph from Travelin’ (1970):

Attached Files:

11. Charger

Charger Forum Resident

Nice score Keith. :righton: I've been trying to find a copy of "The Man Who Sold The World" for quite some time now to finally complete my RCA collection. It seems to be one of the tougher ones to get.

I think my best find was a MFSL Woodstock CD set with the blue labels that I found at a used shop for $50. Unfortunately it didn't have the slip cover but other than that it was NM. It was definitely worth the price even without the slipcover.

Mike

12. malachidjl

malachidjl New Member

I don't want to rain on anyones parade, but I'm a little skeptical because of the inclusion of the "Tonight" CD, "Tonight" never came in a 'blister pack' but a long picture cardboard sleeve. I'm huge Bowie collector and have rarely seen the RCA's in blister packs and most of them were fake. Is your blister pack made of thick "hard to rip" plastic or is it soft and flimsy. All of the original RCA blister packs were very hard to tear open hence the inclusion of the word blister in the name. I do hope your finds are original but beware of fake RCA blister packs. If you found the "Tonight" cd with the same vendor I would be highly skeptical, because during that release they had moved away from the blister pack packaging of CD's. Ask yourself this, why would the EMI release of Tonight have the same blister pack packaging as RCA who deleted their catalogue about a decade earlier?

13. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

My copy of Tonight came in a blister pack.

14. KBanya

KBanya Active Member

You know what...I was thinking the same thing when I saw the picture. I don't remember, ever, seeing the "completely blue" CD in a blister pack.

15. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Yep. mine (completely blue) came in a blister pack. EMI regularly imported discs and just stuck 'em in plastic rather than wait for a cardboard longbox to be printed up.

16. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

? The EMI (blue) release of 'Tonight' came out around the same time as the RCA titles - 1985, 1986 at the latest.

17. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

At the point of release of Tonight, EMI had never done a longbox. ALL of their imported CDs (and that meant all of their CDs--this was before Sony opened the first US CD pressing plant), came in blister packs. At this point, only Warners had longboxes, and they were still the original ones, with the internal plastic tray, where you could see the CD through the hole. I believe CBS was next with longboxes, but not at this time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.