Chant. chant. chant. chant. chant. The Public Image Ltd. album-by-album thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by surfingelectrode, Dec 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seventeen

seventeen Senior Member

You bet, it's house music a decade before the first house track came out ! :)

2. pilcollector

pilcollector New Member

hi rottenstain i have many pil items some where around 120 albums 50 singles 12" and 7" acetates, demos, and test pressings, posters and tour programes.
    I have not listed any on other sites, so you are the first to share my collection. I hope everybody enjoys them if there is something you would like to see, if i have got it i will post it on here enjoy:edthumbs::edthumbs:

3. pilcollector

pilcollector New Member

pil 1st single

just some pics of pils first single
    [​IMG] AUSTRAILIAN WIZARD
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] JAPAN
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] FRENCH
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] GERMAN
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] ITALY
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] SPAIN
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] UK TEST PRESSING
    [​IMG] GREESE ONLY 100 PRESSED
    http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z121/djkingkenny/pilfirstsingle011-1
    [IMG]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z121/djkingkenny/pilfirstsingle019-1.jpg AUSTRAILAN VIRGIN LABEL
    [​IMG] NEW ZEALAND VIRGIN LABEL
    [​IMG] UK OLD GOLD LABEL

4. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Thank you for these pics!!!!

5. seventeen

seventeen Senior Member

6. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Beautiful pictures of your rare singles! I never knew that there that many variations on the 1st PIL single. I used to own the original UK "newspaper" sleeve, but it's long gone. :sigh:

7. seventeen

seventeen Senior Member

How many rare stuff was issued on vynil, but do not exist on CD ?

For instance, browsing the web, I came across a version of Happy? that is 7mn02s long and kills in all respect the album version...

This is stuff that should have been on Plastic Box instead of the recycled LP tracks which all the fans already have.

- Memories 12" version

- Seattle extended 12" (not the one on the blu 12", the 4mn32 long one vs the LP 3:40 version) KILLS THE LP VERSION

- Religion (renovations version)

- The Suit (renovations version)

- Disappointed 12" version (is on Greatest Hits so far CD)

- Happy extended 12" version 7mn of PIL nirvana KILLS THE LP VERSION

- Warrior instrumental 12" version

- USLS 1 instrumental 12" version I think there is an alternate instrumental on the japanese 3" CD

- Rise 12" version (any difference ?)

- Rise 12" instrumental version

More ?

8. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Um, not quite...

9. seventeen

seventeen Senior Member

Ask Jah, he will tell you about it :)

10. pilcollector

pilcollector New Member

Just got new metal box and plastic box both re packaged
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. hutlock

Just saying... House music started in Chicago in either 1984 or 1985 (depending on who you ask!)

So, no... not a decade after "Death Disco" came out in 1979 by any means, right? More like half of that.

Great record in any case! :righton:

12. surfingelectrode

surfingelectrode Active Member Thread Starter

Well, Wobble did play on "Higher than the Sun" off of Primal Scream's Screamadelica, so I guess you could say he had some impact on the creation of acid house.

13. hutlock

But... acid house was in 1988-1990! "Higher Than The Sun" didn't come out until 1991... well after the movement had peaked.

In fact, THE pioneering acid single was Phuture's "Acid Tracks" and that came out in 1987.

14. surfingelectrode

surfingelectrode Active Member Thread Starter

My mistake.

Was the Phuture song a hit, or was it an underground sort of thing? I was under the assumption that Screamadelica was really the first mainstream acid house album.

Either way, what do I know? I was only a year old when Screamadelica came out.

15. hutlock

Phuture was a big club hit, yeah, but not a big mainstream hit -- if you've ever heard it, you know why, the thing is VERY minimal -- and that opened the door to some other records that actually had major chart success in the UK: D-Mob's "They Call It Acieeeeed!" was a #3 chart hit, for instance, in 1988, and Bomb The Bass' "Beat Dis" was a HUGE record that same year. A Guy Called Gerald's "Voodoo Ray" was also a very big record.

So yeah, all of that stuff really pre-dated Screamadelica by a few years. Not sure I'd really call Screamadelica a truly "acid house" record either -- if you look up any of those songs I listed above, you'll find they bear very little resemblance to the Scream...

16. seventeen

seventeen Senior Member

Any mastering difference in Plastic Box ? I think they probably re EQed the whole discs -- I know by experience that EMI have this strange habit when doing reissues (I saw them in the act, they put the old CD in a player, apply a warmer, maxed more, louder EQ and re-record to the computer to get a new "remaster").

17. jsayers

Ouch!!! :eek:

18. pilcollector

pilcollector New Member

ime no expert with sound i can't tell if there's any difference but it really sounds great when played loud,
    i think we should move on to the next one,and i will post one of my goodies where your comments are much welcomed lets see what i can come up with??
    :righton::righton::righton::righton:

19. seventeen

seventeen Senior Member

Just listening to it and it does sounds better than the old CDs indeed --

20. jsayers

I'd really like to see some waveform comparisons for these reissues.

21. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Do you have any examples to warn us of? That would be really helpful!!!!

I can't believe they would do that!

22. seventeen

seventeen Senior Member

Ah yes, I have to add, this was a french CD which was recorded digitally, so probably the original CD was as good as the CD-R master, but I know this process also happens to other discs (I mean if I remember correctly, the Bowie remasters from 1999 were clones of the older CDs with different EQ - same process - wav can't match to the milisecond when the same tape is reused at several decades interval, their should be slight variations due to the different machines used to play it -- if the wave match exactly save the EQ, it means it's a re-recording of the old CD).

23. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Me too, because I've just heard the remaster of Metal Box, and to my ears there is very little difference from the Second Edition disc.

24. frank010

frank010 Well-Known Member

Second Edition is being reissued in the UK next week, and the 2009 replica tin Metal Box remaster triple CD is being deleted. I've been told the Second Edition CD uses exactly the same remaster as the Metal Box reissue, which figures.

25. frank010

frank010 Well-Known Member

I now have the reissue of Second Edition. As I suspected, it's basically a single CD version of the Metal Box replica remaster from 2009. Remastered by Sean Magee at Abbey Road.

It sounds much better than the tinny original CD, but it doesn't sound as good as a needledrop I made from the original vinyl and burnt to CD - let alone the vinyl itself. It also cuts off the the closed groove ending of Swan Lake/Death Disco.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.