CD storage racks?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jerry, Jun 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Billy does not work for me since it is too tall for my music room on the top floor of my (cape) house where the ceiling does not meet the wall at 90 degree angle.

2. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Gotcha. :thumbsup:

3. mattstrike

mattstrike New Member

http://www.avmechanica.com/Alpha_Series/Alpha_Series_Selector.htm
    I use these (I have two mounted together). They look great (have a bit of the Boltz modern metal design) and are flexible enough to grow the storage space parallel to your collection.

Not sure if you would consider a wall-mounted solution, but thought other folks would be interested as well.

[​IMG]

4. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I guess as long as you find the studs, you're good to go!

5. Another Steve

Another Steve Senior Member

For the frugal among us out there in Hoffman land, I bought a nice, king-size (6'3") water bed headboard for a few bucks ($5?) at a Salvation Army thrift store. (They have a hard time giving away their water beds.) The headboard matched my existing furniture. I then added a matching second shelf in the middle to accommodate the CD jewel box height. I mounted the headboard upside down on the wall with the now top in line with the top of the door openings. The headboard / CD shelf takes up no floor space and is conveniently located above all the equipment which is spread out on a narrow, 6' long sofa table. The 12' total a linear shelf space holds over 330 CDs. Photos are hung underneath the headboard / CD shelf. Not bad for an afternoon project.

6. mattstrike

mattstrike New Member

Toggle bolts, dude… 90lb toggle bolts.

7. RoyalScam

Or that. But I'd still feel more comfy with stud mounting.

Incidentally...for those (like myself) who have issues with baseboard heating getting in the way of bookcases, or just generally taking up valuable wall space, here's a great solution I came across recently:

http://www.cb2.com/family.aspx?c=118&f=3885

8. IKEA used to sell a bookcase that was made for paperback books c. 1988-1990. The units were about 6 inches deep, perfect for CDs. If you added a couple of extra shelf pieces yourself, you could get 500+ CDs in one rack. I have 3 of them. They came in black or white. I have 3 white ones. Wished I would have purchased a 4th one. By the time I needed it, they'd been discontinued. When I inquired, a sales person at IKEA said the shelving units which sold for $39.99 were discontinued when IKEA realised people were modifying them from bookshelves to CD racks as they're "official" CD racks/cases were much more expensive and held about 100 CDs.

9. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

This is a new IKEA item....the shallow BESTA bookshelf.

Look at its dimensions -- it's about 4 inches shallower than the regular Billy bookcase and it's perfect for CD storage. In fact, my local IKEA display it as a CD storage solution.

10. filper

filper Forum Resident

That looks great soundboy...

Anybody's guess if a 24" span would bend loaded with CD's ?

11. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

The regular Billy bookcase is almost 32" inches across and mine hasn't bend after 4 years or so. And that's with the now-discontinued CD storage inserts, which added even more weight onto the shelves.

12. GabeL

GabeL Forum Resident

So glad I saw this thread...I've been thinking about another rack :)

13. GabeL

GabeL Forum Resident

Billy bookcases definitely work well.

I've got four of these and I agree, they work quite well and if you put a 1x2 (or maybe it is 1x4??) board behind the cds, you can see all the spines with ease.

14. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I use three of these. Really upset they quit making the CD inserts.

15. mattstrike

mattstrike New Member

It says the max load per shelf is 29lbs.

16. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

which one ? I got 3 and they work perfect. Not the best quality of course but for the cost, they have a small footprint and do not crowd the room. no deeper than a cd case.

17. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

They make them again. I bought 12 last week.

18. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Do you happen to have the part #? Checked Ikea online and the only cd shelf that comes up has a width thats too small for a Billy.

***EDIT- Ignore this post...found them

19. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

I'm not finding these...?

20. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Do a search for Ikea Billy here in the forum. There's a thread with the part number.

21. RoyalScam

The Billy inserts are back, but are now a brushed metal look, disassembled in three pieces (two legs and the shelf). If you want the CDs to lay flush at the start of the shelf, you'll need to bring the inserts forward a bit, as they are a bit shallower than the old green/gray fake wood "step" type inserts.

But they do work quite well...however they will bow a bit at the center with a full rack of CDs on the top tier. I suppose you could get a square wood block to prop it up in the middle for better support.

And here's the link for the 30" ones: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20166725

22. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff Thread Starter

Thanks, but those Sauder racks are shorter (46") and wider (9.5") than I'd like.

In a perfect world, my cd cabinet would be similar to the Ikea Besta (thanks soundboy!) but with more rows. My goal is to find a rack designed for cds that is 70" or more high, 7" deep and 36" or so wide.

Thanks for all the great advice!

23. RoyalScam

You know...you CAN buy extra shelves for many Ikea bookcases right there in the store. You get a shelf and the four nibs that hold the shelf in place.

24. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff Thread Starter

If that's the case, and they have ones that fit the Besta, that may be what I've been looking for. Thanks!

25. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

I guess we're talking about two different inserts...the ones I have and was hoping they were making again are the ones that end up making eight cubicles out of each shelf. They are made of the same material as the Billy bookcases and came in the same various color shades. They were kind of pricey, but well worth it and unfortunately I need a bunch more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.