CD storage racks?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jerry, Jun 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff Thread Starter

Thanks, that helps.:shrug:

2. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

3. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

I have a space issue and need to fit as much crap into a small and oddly shaped space as possible to hold my CDs and DVDs. Nothing I've seen will fully use the space I have available. I decided to build my own racks using 6.5" black heavy duty shelving brackets, and attendant tracks, I bought at Home Depot. I will make my own Oak shelving from veneered plywood and edge banding. Time consuming but worth it in the end and it will allow me to use all of my allocated space.

Real wood for real men :)

Just kidding of course.

4. Graham Start

Graham Start Forum Resident

Well, here's 12 x IKEA Benno. The two on the left are for DVDs and video games, all the rest are for CDs. Sorry about the lousy camera angle, but this is in a rather narrow hallway. My apologies to anyone in Toronto who is looking to get these in white, for I have cleaned out both the North York and Etobicoke locations. :)

Attached Files:

• cds.jpg
      cds.jpg
      File size:
      63.2 KB
      Views:
  5. filper

filper Forum Resident

Nice job !

How many of those little metal shelf plugs did you use ? :)

6. scott palmiter

scott palmiter Senior Member

i'm guessing...all of them:D

7. Graham Start

There are actually a few left over, both from surplus pegs and because I didn't use all the shelves on the ones with DVDs. :)

8. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Did you anchor them to the wall, and/or to each other? And how many CD's are you storing there?

9. Graham Start

Yes and yes. Normally I don't bother with the anti-tipping fasteners, but these units are very tall and narrow, so I secured each and every one to the wall.

I'm honestly not sure. Well over 1,000. I have a large number of CD singles in slimline or paper sleeves, so I can't really calculate by taking a sample and multiplying the area. At least now I have room for expansion. My previous arrangement used two different kinds of shelves (because I couldn't get additional matching units for either of them) and was overflowing, with piles of discs stacked on top of each one. Quite the mess it was...

10. dee

dee Senior Member

:righton:

11. mrlefty

mrlefty Forum Resident

My response isn't exactly timely, but I found a five shelf bookshelf at Wal-Mart for $30. I cut six additional shelves from plywood remnants I got at Home Depot (50 cents a remnant), drilled some extra peg holes, got some extra pegs, and a can of black spray paint. I cut the plywood myself, but Home Depot will do that for a small fee. So for less than $40, I have a shelving unit that holds over 850 jewel cases.

12. mrt2

mrt2 Active Member

Hey Jerry,

I have had good luck locally on Craigslist, as people seem to be getting rid of physical media like cds and dvds.

Last year, I bought a 7 shelf unit for I think $20. It is the kind you put together yourself with little pegs and two metal bars brace it in the back by forming an X. I also recently bought a 7 shelf dowel style wood unit for only $10. When I got there, they had two plastic verticle cd towers, asked if I wanted those. I said I might, but I only brought the $10 cash, so the guy just gave them to me. Each holds 60 cds, while each of the 7 shelf units hold about 350 cds each.

13. filper

filper Forum Resident

I bought another Benno today due to my expanding collection, and just a word of caution, you may want to purchase as many as you think you'll ever need at the same time...

It's only been just over a year, but they changed the finish on the black Benno to more of textured matte from smooth.

Barely noticable from a few feet away, but I know some of you are perfectionists. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

14. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Benno does not work for me since I will have to give up wall space. I will order a spinning CD storage that houses 1600 CD's shortly.

15. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

Bennos! :up:
    I have 7 for my CD collection, but I need more... :shrug:

16. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

This would be my recommendation also. I used them for years with great success. Very durable and I like the slightly industrial look.

17. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Indeed. I have 14. There are three on another wall.

18. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Here's my current CD storage system. It's extremely cheap, but I don't recommend it for anyone who wants to, uh, find a specific CD.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      33.1 KB
      Views:
  19. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Last Sunday in Best Buy they had 400 cd storage cabinets $30 marked down from $108.

20. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

That's probably because they only had 27 CDs left in the store to sell.:help:

21. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Probably right :laugh:
    Nowadays cds are only Walmart exclusives.

22. Khojem

Khojem Forum Resident

Sounds like a great idea!

One question though. What the heck is a billy?:help:

23. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

billy, benno etc - silly Ikea names.

24. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I am still waiting for a spinning tower with 1600 CD capacity to be available again ...

25. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Here's my first of two Ikea Billys with CD shelf add-ons (do a search, there's a thread that has the actual part number for the CD shelves). I also added the top extension, where I will put box sets, oversized, etc.

This is M-Z plus Various Artists.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.