"CD-format to be abandoned by major labels by the end of 2012..."

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MarilynsPickle, Oct 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Exactly what I was thinking.

I know 2 friends at work who have CD players, but can't afford to get a computer.

Darryl

2. readandburn

readandburn Active Member

What year is this?

3. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Some people can't afford a computer. Others don't want a computer or simply don't have a need for one.

4. Pdog

Pdog Forum Resident

I'm going to get so rich in 30 years when the kids get into CD's!!!

5. Ummm...sure...I guess it depends on what you have (or maybe I'm missing the sarcasm here).

Again, I could see this happening with catalog titles that aren't selling.

6. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

One of my friends has no desire to get a computer.
    Also he can't afford it, because he just bought his first house.

Darryl

7. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

How long did it take for vinyl LPs to die, in the face of an advertised, generally regarded to be superior product - The CD?

8. The problem is that most people truly don't care about sound quality as much as they want the latest trendy item or toy. Music has other competition from a wide variety of toys they didn't before and music has lost much of its value (it doesn't help that the industry overpriced themselves in a greedy grap in the first place)--ever since the downloading fiasco of Napster, etc. and the poorly handled situation by the major labels, music doesn't hold much "value".

It is ironic that vinyl "died" only to be given rebirth by the very format and the poor quality of mastering, etc. that has resulted from digital downloads, loudness stuff, etc. that "killed" it in the first place.

9. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

But downloaded music isn't advertised as being superior to CDs- just more convenient for some.

10. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

"By the end of 2012" is probably laughably inaccurate, but the eventual abandonment of physical media (especially digital) is, I think, inevitable.

Look around you - B&M stores were you used to get your CD's are cutting stock or closing their doors. Other physical media such as DVD and Blu-ray are similarly disappearing from the stores and prices on digital physical media are dropping everywhere. This isn't because companies and retailers have decided to become nice guys and cut prices down to $9.99/$7.99/$4.99 for your benefit, it's because CD's, DVD's and even Blu-rays are not selling and they think that if they slash prices they'll at least move some product.

Most people who use streaming services such as Netflix aren't going to buy DVD's. Most people who download music from iTunes or listen on Spotify aren't going to buy CD's. The major labels are surely aware of this and they will inevitably begin to adjust their strategy to compensate.

11. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

The end of 2012 isn't that far away. I see it happening eventually but not that soon. You're talking about a major shift in how they sell music and I don't think it's something they would switch to so quickly at this point in time.

CDs are still selling and making money for them.

Of course this is the music business and therefore you can never predict what they are thinking :laugh:

BTW I never heard of this site. Is it well known in the music circles? None of the other sites are going with this story.

Eddie

12. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

Not gonna happen. Vinyl is hip with kids now because it is something that can't be ripped or stolen easily and is a process to play. CD is digital and at some point you'll be able to find most anything you want online and a lot of it lossless too. CDs will never be collectible to future generations like it is to those on these forums who are over 40 or 50 (i.e. those who don't want to learn how to download). I'd advise you do what I did and rip and sell those CDs like you can, and buy vinyl instead. It will always hold it's value.

13. Spyder

Spyder Official vinyl solicitor and connoisseur.

That article is pure speculation and has no credible source of their information, I'm sure.

14. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Well some are already getting in their car anyway because they'll be buying that cd where they buy their groceries and some will just buy online.

You know the Adele album, 21, would not have sold anywhere near what it did if cds were no longer available.

15. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

If I may modify an old Mark Twain quote...

The rumors of physical media's death have been greatly exaggerated.

16. The labels wouldn't kill CD so quickly, if only so they can find a replacement revenue stream before that point. What will hasten the CD's death as a mass market consumer good is the lack of product on retailers' shelves. We can all see that the packaged music sections in the national retailers are shrinking every fiscal quarter.

17. botley

botley Forum Resident

Makes perfect sense to me. Fewer and fewer retailers are making a profit on regular CD sales. Restricting the format to specialty limited-edition items and online distribution through Amazon is the only way to make their costs back anymore. In twelve months' time, very little money will be left in the conventional CD retail business.

18. Spyder

Spyder Official vinyl solicitor and connoisseur.

But it would be fabulous news if it were true for me and my company, having vinyl as the last standing physical medium.

Viva la vinyl!!

19. One lingering in the shadow of a massive economic meltdown. I do know people that have CD players (for example in their cars not nessarily stand-alone models) but I also know folks who have ipods, mp3 players, etc. as well as folks that can't AFFORD their own computer and would rather use the money to eat for a month or so particularly if they're unemployed.

20. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

A computer cost 200 bucks off the shelf at Walmart. If they can't afford a computer, then they're spending their money on other things.

This isn't 1995 anymore.

21. Stateless

Stateless New Member

I don't think CD's will ever die, but they will eventually wind up like vinyl...although the pace will probaby be faster given the rapid changes in the computer industry. Wait until iTunes goes to Apple Lossless. Record stores (the ones that still exist) will be like antique stores.

I converted all my CD's to Apple Lossless. I just see them as hard back up discs now. I continue to buy them, but once downloading goes lossless, I probably won't....and it will be harder to anyway. Most of mine are in storage at this point. It was a pain in the *** to convert, but it is totally worth it. My stereo is now like a big, Lossless iPod. No more making CDR's. If I want to make a comp it's done instantly. Press a button and you can hear an artists' catalog (or everything) on random. Definitely freshens up things you've been listening to for 30 years. Wanna take something with you? Just drag it on to your iPod. Play it in your car? Just plug it in to your USB jack and your done. (I know all cars don't have them yet, but they will.)

22. Schmeig

Schmeig Forum Resident

Hey, many of us "geezers" have learned how to download just fine, thank you! :)

Like others, however, I prefer physical medium for my music. These days its been more vinyl purchases for me which often include download cards or a CD of the album inside. If I have no other choice, I'll buy the download. But since the world is supposed to end in 2012, I guess I don't really need to worry so much about it. ;)

23. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Right- what does that tell you? A computer is not a necessity or a priority in their lives. No computer = no downloading of music (and probably no MP3 player on top of that) = none of their money going to record companies.

For $200 you're not likely to get a computer that could handle downloading very much music anyway.

24. I'm aware of that as I bought two for my kids last year.

I'm not suggesting it's 1995 anymore. I don't think anyone is suggesting that either; some people can't AFFORD it because they have other essentials they have to pay for.

The point is folks have had to make more difficult choices than they did a decade ago.

Anyway, back on to the topic at hand I think that the death of CDs as someone else has pointed out is greatly exaggerated. Will it happen? Sure but I don't think it will happen that quickly.

25. Pureprairie1972

Pureprairie1972 New Member

If the majors drop the CD format well what do we lose? For the most part, poorly mastered brickwalled CD's.

Then maybe it wont be any big loss afterall.

But I'm not buying any music via downloads. That'll probably sound crappy too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.