Carpenters SACD: Wrong Disc In Case Alert!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Irwinhm, Apr 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. softtech

softtech Forum Resident

Has anyone heard back from yourmusic.com when reporting the Carpenters problem? I've sent two messages and haven't heard back yet...

2. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

The only thing I heard back was that they were shipping me a new disc, as well as a postpaid return sticker for the bad disc. I did point out that others had defective discs, so hopefully this was passed along to someone.

I have a feeling BMG will just pull the item from their catalogs until they can iron things out.

3. mtodde

mtodde New Member

Not only was my Carpenters SACD a Redbook in SACD packaging, but the Shostakovich Symphony No. 5 was too.

I also pointed out that a number of people on this forum had experienced the same thing.

Both discs have 'Mfg. for BMG Direct' below the UPC. I wonder if their equipment can only write the Redbook layer...the other discs I've received from them have been fine and none have been marked as club edition until now.

4. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

My Living Stereo SACD was definitely the genuine article, and it has the standard UPC barcode, not the BMG club barcode. My two Elton John SACDs also had standard UPC barcodes, but the Carpenters had the BMG club barcode as well. I see a trend here... :sigh:

5. jeffrey r

jeffrey r Member

Got my "replacement" disc yesterday, and lo and behold, it was the same CD version. I didn't even bother opening it, as it was the same case. This despite me sending several e-mails telling them that this was a system-wide problem and not to bother sending me a replacement unless it is cleared up. Oh well, guess I'll sit tight for now and wait until they figure this out and then try again.

In their defense, I have placed tons of orders with them in the past few months, and this has been the only hiccup.

6. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

I got an email that my "replacement" is in the mail as well. I'm sure it'll be the same as before...

7. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Just today I got that Shostakovitch "SACD" and it's just a CD. :thumbsdn: :sigh: Says 'SACD' everywhere, on the packaging and on the disc. Big bummer.

dan c

8. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

One lesson to be learned from this is not to risk bidding on sealed Carpenters SACDs on ebay.

Try convincing the seller the wrong disc was in the case!

9. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

I once bought a CD in a retail store and there was no disk inside. Good thing I had opened it in front of the clerk. They never would have believed it otherwise, especially that store.

10. mtodde

mtodde New Member

That is a great point. I'll pick it up locally just in case there is a problem.

11. mtodde

mtodde New Member

I had that happen with the DVD for Kill Bill Volume 2; the girl in customer service at Target didn't seem like she believed me, but she did let me get another copy...we went through about a dozen before we found one that had the DVD in it. After we opened the first one together she changed her attitude.

12. Tim Lyman

Tim Lyman New Member

That happened to me once with a MFSL Eric Clapton Slowhand. Since they didn't have another one in stock, the clerk refunded my money, even though I hadn't opened it in the store. Guess I looked trustworthy. :angel:

13. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Why did you open it front of the clerk?

14. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

I just finished listening to the actual SACD of this release, this one from amazon.com. They have correct ones apparently. It sounds WONDERFUL. Comes in the standard Universal SACD case not the packaging from BMG.

I'm in :love:

15. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

It's was back in the long box days. I usually opened them up while waiting in line to make sure the jewel case wasn't damaged. Only way you could tell, and replacement jewel cases were at least $1 back then.

16. Marty Milton

Marty Milton Senior Member

I ordered the SACD version from BMG, and I definitely got the redbook version CD, even though case says SACD. I hope I don't have too much of a hastle getting the correct SACD from BMG.

17. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Someone needs to post a picture of the fake SACD case. Does it have the rounded edges?

18. Tomcw

Tomcw Forum Resident

Mine has square corners.

Tom

19. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Good News!!

I got my replacement disc from BMGMusic today - and although the case, inserts and disc all look the same as the non-SACD disc I received sometime back - The re-press from BMG is the 5.1 Surround Sound SACD. :righton:

At first glance, even after the item being on backorder for a few weeks, I thought - UH-NO - they sent me a regular CD again. The label on the disc itself does not indicate anything regarding DSD, SACD, etc., and the jewel case is your standard CD jewel case (not the Super Jewel case found with most SACDs). The only indications were that the booklet and inserts mention SACD - but so did the booklet and inserts on the old non-SACD disc from BMG. Everything about the new disc I received looks just like the old disc (which was a regular redbook CD). However, when I looked closer at the actual disc itself I noticed that gold color that usually graces a hybrid SACD. I placed the disc in my SACD player, and YES - it is the 5.1 SACD.

So anyone waiting for your replacement discs from BMGMusic Service can be rest assured that when you receive your new disc it should be the SACD.

20. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

Mike, now the only thing that remains is that you share with us your first impressions on the SACD?

21. Marty Milton

I got a notice that my replacement was being shipped last week. I am anxious to receive it and give it a listen. I have heard good things about this SACD.

22. zardozislove

zardozislove Senior Member

I got my Carpenters from BMG as well and it has that gold color, but when I put it in my Pioneer DV45-A, it come up as a cd. Now when I switch the player to only play the SACD 2 Channel layer, it does that, and if I switch it back to the Multi-Ch area while the disc is still in the player, it plays the 5.1 layer. If I pop the disc out and put it back in, I have to go through that whole process again. Has this happened to anyone else?

23. Marty Milton

I fianally received the SACD version. It is a superb disc. The songs really come alive in SACD. Let's hope that some of these smaller labels won't abandon SACD like Sony has.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.