Carpenters SACD: Wrong Disc In Case Alert!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Irwinhm, Apr 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I'm curious. Do the track listings on the case match what's on the disc?

Remember that the old SINGLES 1969-1981 title had a different tracklisting than the SACD release, despite the identical disc titles.

2. Irwinhm

Irwinhm Forum Resident Thread Starter

The track listings on the case do match what's on the disc. The disc does have a copyright of 2004. The number printed on the disc (B0002966-36) also matches the one on the case spine. FBI anti-piracy warning is also printed on the disc.

3. HGN2001

Looking at the gold recorded side, around the hub, mine has these numbers:

STLD-010300 1 (closest to the center)
    SUHD-010300A1 3 (on the next ring in)

There are also two different IFPI numbers:

inner: IFPI L329
    outer: IFPI L332

I have no SACD player so I've only ever listened to the redbook layer, but this was bought in a Borders store on release day and has the SACD logo on the rear insert.

4. jeffrey r

jeffrey r Member

Got my copy from yourmusic.com today. Case indicates SACD, but it's a CD for sure. The disc itself does not have the telltale signs of an SACD, and when I popped it in my SACD player, it only came up as a CD. So this seems to be a problem. Off to send an e-mail to yourmusic.

5. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

OK, I don't have any numbers like that on my disc, and it is indeed silver, no gold. Now, some of my single layer SACDs are silver, but most of the recent hybrids have had a slight gold tint to them.

I know it should not matter, but this is the first sealed Universal CD I've purchased that did not have the "hybrid" sticker on the plastic wrap. Did anyone else who got this title have the sticker on the front?

Looks like there are three of us who have the wrong discs now...

6. HGN2001

There was a circular silver, black and white sticker on the cover that said:

PLAYS ON SACD & CD PLAYERS

followed by an SACD logo
    and the words SUPER AUDIO CD

underneath, around the bottom rim it said:

STDSACD&CD

7. -=Rudy=-

OK, that's pretty much Universal's standard sticker then. This is the first Universal disc I've seen without one.

Also, like you mentioned, there are the two sets of numbers (and two barcodes) in concentric rings on the data side, one for each "layer".

8. RandySchimka

RandySchimka Senior Member

Me Too!

I also ordered the SACD hybrid version of the Carpenters Singles disc from yourmusic.com and received the disc with a standard jewel case, SACD rear insert showing through the clear tray and a regular CD on the inside...

Randy

9. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

$6.99? That's a new one. I thought they were just raising all $4.99 accounts to $5.99. Geez, give them about six months and it will be like buying CDs at the mall! :eek:

10. -=Rudy=-

I think he was joking, Keith... ;)

Here's another angle: this mis-pressing could be a collector's item. It has the track running order of the hybrid, but it is a single-layer CD. There are no officially released redbook CDs out there that have this mastering and this running order!

Hmmmm... :D

11. mtodde

mtodde New Member

I just ordered it from yourmusic too...I wonder how many people will return it???

12. -=Rudy=-

OK, here are some scans of the data side. Top one is my Carpenters SACD; below is Diana Krall's "Girl In The Other Room", which is a known ;) hybrid SACD. Even the color is different!

Attached Files:

13. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

It was just my stab at humor ;)

Hmmm....a collector's item??

14. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

I got the hybrid SACD in late January/Early Feb. at a local record store. It's they hybrid, as
    It had the super jewel box with all the sacd markings on the artwork. The disc is gold on the flip side.

Gee, I was thinking about joining yourmusic.com nut now I'm not so sure. Maybe if I order the Dylan SACD box set, all the discs will be in jewel cases :laugh:
    ###​

15. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

another CD instead of SACD hybrid

I got have the same mistake. Sent an email for an exchange today. :shake:

16. alanH

alanH New Member

I just received the so called collectors disk today from yourmusic.com. Although the case is correct (indicating SACD), the disk is defiantly a redbook. Hybird SACD's are gold on the shinny side.

Oh well, at least the Eric Clapton "Slow Hand" and Elton John Tumbleweed Connection" I also received are SACD's.

One out of 3.

17. trumpetplayer

trumpetplayer Senior Member

Same here.

18. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

You'd think by now this yourmusic.com place would have developed a clue and stopped sending out the disks. Oh, wait. Aren't they owned by Sony? That would explain it.

19. Irwinhm

Irwinhm Forum Resident Thread Starter

I got my second copy today. I opened the outer package. Didn't open the cello though. I'm sure it's the same. Still haven't returned the first one. Still waiting for the post paid sticker they promised. Is there anyway to call them and speak to someone? They must have got the hint by now that there is a problem with these discs.

20. -=Rudy=-

I still have not received my replacement, but I'm sure I'll be getting another redbook CD in an SACD case. :shake: I've taken an alternate route for complaints--one of my moderators has a contact in Richard Carpenter's office, so he's let them know about it as well. BMG just has to quit shipping these and remove it from their catalog until they know enough to send out the correct item.

21. thestereofan

thestereofan Senior Member

Got a bad one too.

That is another reason why I am dropping yourmusic after May. Too many bad SACD promises (Kind of Blue plus others) and too many bad shippings.

Great prices but I have what I need and want now so I'm telling them goodbye.

22. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Wow, glad I read this thread. I'm gonna hold off on this for a bit. Thanks for the heads up. My other SACDs from yourmusic.com are fine. Two Living Stereos and two Dylans. Just ordered another batch of SACDs today, but not The Carpenters.

dan c

23. JakeM

JakeM Senior Member

Put me on the list of people who got a bad one too. Hopefully they'll get a replacement batch with the right discs.

24. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

Just got a bad one from BMG music club. I was hoping it would be fine as it took them ages them to ship this that they were fixing this problem...but alas not yet.

25. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I just received a non-SACD copy also, even though I ordered the SACD and the packaging points to the "fact" that you should expect an SACD.

I made a call to BMGMusicService at 317-692-9200 and got a very nice person on the phone who told me they were going to look into the situation. I was told to keep the CD at no charge to myself, and that the correct item would be sent to me once they iron everything out on their end.

I told the customer service person that others have also received the regular CD when ordering the SACD, as witnessed by this forum, and she told me that she was going to send a request to their shipping department to pull a few copies of the disc, open them up and see if they are indeed all CDs. If they are all CDs, they will, according to the service rep, stop shipping the wrong item and get the right item in stock. I really want to believe what she told me, but unless they get a lot of people to start complaining and sending back their discs/calling or writing to BMG customer service I have a hard to believing that the problem will get rectified anytime soon.

I went though something like this in the past, where a certain title (a Universal Deluxe Edition) kept coming without a booklet, and I called them. They told me that they would replace my "defective" copy with a copy that had a booklet. I went through 3 copies before I gave up and just stopped complaining. I never did get a copy with a booklet (James Brown Live at the Apollo), and they never wanted the "defective" copies back.

I assume that I will probably end up with numerous "defective" Carpenters CDs (that are supposed to be SACDs) before I also give up. :realmad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.