Carpenters cds

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sound chaser, Feb 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

See my Post # 21. The Yesterday Once More mixes are clearly different b/w the 80's CD and the Remastered Classics.

2. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Which mix is on which disc, in your opinion?

I'm curious and wonder if perhaps there is more than one issue of the title in the '80s.

My '80s-issued disc is catalogue CD-3601 DIDX-23 with 1A5 58 on the central hub of the disc, which was Made In Japan and has an AM+ (Audio Masters Plus) logo on it.

It had to be one of my earliest CD purchases dating back to around 1985 or so - BEFORE the YESTERDAY ONCE MORE double-CD release, and BEFORE the song "Yesterday Once More" was released in remixed form.

In comparing that track to the one on the Remastered Classics disc, I hear very little difference, if any at all. (There may be some subtle level adjustments on one or the other, but they sound the same to me.) These both sound like the single version to me.

3. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Great synopsis! Now can you do this for all of their songs that have multiple mixes? :D

4. HGN2001

Sure - give me about thirty years! :)

5. bob2935

bob2935 Active Member

Harry wrote:
    (2) shows up on later vinyl pressings of NOW AND THEN as well as the SINGLES 1969-1973 compilation (both the '80s edition and the Remastered Classics edition).

It just seems odd that Canadian versions of The Singles 1969-73 would be identical to the vinyl except that they use the 1985 YOM.
    Would anyone be interested in selling me a Remastered Classics copy with the correct mix? Please PM me.
    Bob.

6. HGN2001

When it comes to the zillions of Carpenters compilations out there, I've learned that anything goes, especially when it comes to which mix is where.

As for SINGLES 1969-1973 Remastered, I know it's currently in print in Japan, but God only knows what mixes were used there!

7. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member Thread Starter

I was just about to buy it - thanks for the warning!

8. EJK71

EJK71 Forum Resident

Just bought The Close To You Remastered Classics yesterday, sounds pretty damn good to my ears, will be picking up the others in the series :thumbsup:

9. HGN2001

Here are two posts from the A&M Forum confirming some of the things we've outlined here:

So you have to be careful to find the exact release you're looking for.

Harry

10. bob2935

bob2935 Active Member

Just to add to the confusion and to summarize what I posted earlier, both the original Canadian CD release and the remastered Canadian CD release of Singles 1969-73 have the 1985 remix of YOM. I'm tempted to buy the set once more from a US retailer and report what shows up. Seeing as I have the complete Carpenters Remastered Classics series as well as 2 versions of their first GH, several other CD purchases by other artists come first in line though.
    Bob.

11. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member Thread Starter

Have just found and taken delivery of "Now and Then" with the writing "Digitally Remastered"
    on the clear spine, I think and hope this is the UK equivalent of your "Remastered Classics". There is only reference to the original album release date.
    The version of YOM has no wah-wah guitar, just oboe and piano, and at last I am rid of that infernal 80's bass drum.
    Now I have this and "Horizon" from the same series and both sound great, I just wish for The Singles 69-73 remaster, any out there, please?

12. Sput

Sput Boilerphile In Memoriam

I can only speak for the quality of SINGLES 1969-1973. I give it a B+ for quality. I enjoy this album and it has all the Carpenters songs I want.

13. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

But no "Hush".

14. HGN2001

Another quote from one of the Japanese members of the A&M Corner Forum:

So it looks as if the current release in Japan has the single version of YOM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.