Carbon Fiber Brush - Microabrasions!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by numanoid, Mar 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

I've noticed when a carbon fiber brush is new the bristles are usually a bit stiff. What I do is use the cleaning clip - or a clean edge like on a ruler - and 'clean' the fibers by vigorously flipping them each way (back & forth) for several minutes. This breaks them in and relaxes them. Try it before you use it on a record.

The difference is noticeable. A new brush - when brushed lightly on the back of your (clean) hand - you can feel the stiffness to it. Once they are broken in they should feel soft & velvety - like a high quality paint brush.

FWIW carbon brushes haven't scratched my records.

Burning Tires likes this.
  2. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Actually I was talking about the vacuum wand as well. You're right; it's more like velvet - well, I only use a vintage Discwasher brush and the VPI machine, so maybe I'm OK.

3. Doug G.

Doug G. Forum Resident

:righton:

Doug

4. Pureprairie1972

Pureprairie1972 New Member

5. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

No. You can wet clean with a carbon fiber brush. I do it all the time.

6. edb15

edb15 Senior Member

Is is possible the brush is removing dust that makes scratches that were already there visible?

7. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Negative. I used the brush on a brand new record, and the marks were left specifically where I used the brush.

8. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Odd, my original Decca brush was ruined when someone (...cough...cough...my older brother...cough...cough...) used it with Discwasher fluid to attempt to clean a record. It also came with instructions not to get it wet. The fibers all clumped together like hair mats.

Maybe the later carbon brushes, which are cheap copies of the Decca, don't have quite the same fibers and don't suffer a similar fate?

I've got a fake "Decca" from PS Audio, I wouldn't want to get it wet just because it's got a wood handle under the aluminum shell.

9. Lownote30

Even new records have dust from being in the inner sleeve.

10. Lownote30

I use the Mofi cleaning pads, and I don't think those are carbon fiber, so my mistake. :D

11. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Yes, of course. And the marks were left from the CF brush, not uncovering existing scratches.

12. SirAngus

SirAngus Forum Resident

I just dragged my Hunt brush from center to edge on an album and it absolutely left brush marks. :thumbsdn: Wonder what that does to the groove where the music lives.

13. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

nothing

14. Doug G.

Doug G. Forum Resident

If the bristles are scratching the vinyl and the bristles get down into the grooves, the bristles are going to scratch the vinyl down in the grooves.

Pretty simple.

And, addressing an earlier proposal, let's not get this whole thing to the point of ridiculousness suggesting the carbon fiber brush is so wonderful it is uncovering already existing scratches.

The first thing that needs to be done is to dispense with ego and admit scratching is a problem with carbon fiber brushes and then go from there.

Instead of maintaining ego and damaging records with an inferior product.

Doug

GuildX700 likes this.
  15. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I've been using the Audioquest brush since the 90's and no scratching. I always flip back/forth the plastic sling (whatever this is called) several times to remove excess dust. I've cleaned the brush a few times over the years and never had any clumps (sounds like an std). There is no ego on my part. If I was having issues like a few others are having then I would never use it.

16. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

Is that recommended usage ? I normally hold across the grooves to clean.

17. Doug G.

Doug G. Forum Resident

Recommended usage doesn't matter. You should be able to take the brush and scrub in the runout area without seeing any evidence you have done so.

Doug

18. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

I could not find any substance, cloth or brush that would not leave similar marks, in the same lighting circumstances (direct halogen or sunlight). I stopped worrying at that point.

19. SirAngus

SirAngus Forum Resident

I just swiped it across the vinyl to see if it would leave marks on the vinyl and it did. I'll bet if you had a flat pressed slab of vinyl with no grooves, just about anything would leave marks. How much damage is another story. I think the stylus tip might do more damage than a carbon fiber if the fiber follows the groove.

20. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

Well, I've never thought to scrub on vinyl with a dry brush of any type.

21. Doug G.

Doug G. Forum Resident

I can with a Discwasher brush without scratching the vinyl.

It is only logical that any bristle material should be softer than vinyl.

Doug

22. Doug G.

Doug G. Forum Resident

This is a pretty good argument except a stylus is ground and polished to follow the groove undulations and the ends of the bristles are not. So, they will more likely dig into the vinyl instead of riding over it.

And I can take a Discwasher brush and rub it in the smooth runout area of a record and it doesn't leave scratches.

Doug

GuildX700 likes this.
  23. SirAngus

SirAngus Forum Resident

Looks like Roy Gandy might be right after all, just drop the needle and it will push it all out of the way.

24. volta

volta Forum Resident

Are you guys hearing any change in the audio once you brush your records? If the microabrasions were doing damage you'd probably hear a change right?

25. ElizabethH

ElizabethH Forum Resident

I use a toothbrush to wash vinyl with...
    And then noted that microabrasions on a CD HELP it to be read better when damaged.
    Perhaps the microabrasions in the Lp groove are the same sort. Like a
    dithering' below the signal?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.