Car 54 - Original series coming to DVD early 2011

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DJ WILBUR, Aug 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I actually had to pause the DVDs a couple of times per episode because I was laughing so hard. I'm surprised the show didn't last one or two more seasons.

Fantastic writing- a very clever show.

2. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

According to some of the comments made on the DVD interview extra that came with the Season One set, one of the reasons they didn't do a third season is that creator Nat Hiken was fed up with how difficult Joe E. Ross was to work with.

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Hi Paul. I thought so at first as well, but after I figured it out I love it! with your index finger from the top of the DVD push down towards the bottom (do not pull up) and it releases it...very cool idea!

4. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I have to re-emphasize how much I love this show. I watched a bunch of episodes this weekend and once again nearly died laughing. Specifically during the Mitch Miller episode (the audition). I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard (well, actually I can...it was while watching Season 1!). This show is just so damn funny. And I'm still only on disc one! Gonna be a lot more laughter ahead!

5. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I actually had to pause episodes a number of times because I was laughing so hard!

One of the funniest sitcoms I've ever seen.

6. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Watching disc 1 , fun stuff !

7. Michael

it's great seeing Al & Fred in the same show before the Munsters...

Scope J likes this.
  8. Gumboo

Gumboo Forum Resident

Bye-bye Mommy. Bye-bye Daddy!

9. Gumboo

Gumboo Forum Resident

Another standout episode to me is the barbershop quartet competition, where judge Jan Murray goes stark raving mad.

10. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

How many episodes total are there?

11. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

60 or so....have both sets on DVD ...the running order is scrambled and the discs are not secure in packaging but a worthy purchase.....
    Another fave is Silvers Bilko...same writer....but only 1 season was put out and a best of.....
    I met Al Lewis once in his Italian restaurant on a business call some 25 years ago and he was charming....but did not buy our stuff but he was cool....

therockman likes this.
  12. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

The second season is in order, I believe. Currently up to disc 4. My second season set had 2 loose discs, which I didn't discover until I unwrapped it a few months ago, about a year after I bought it, so I couldn't exchange it; I ended up having to use that scratch repair stuff to get a couple of episodes on disc 1 to play.

Several of the episodes in season 2 are rewrites of a similar episode in season 1, but the show is still hilarious. The Biggest Day of the Year is hysterical.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  13. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

Yes The packaging is awful and cheap...Getting them in and out and underneath and the plastic disc holders pins cracked on mine..nonetheless one of the best shows ever in this genre....enjoy.

14. Michael

it would have been a perfect set if not for the first season not being in order...still FABULOUS to own.

15. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

I love both the sets- they look great and are still hilarious-one on the great NY sitcoms (along with "The Honeymooners" and "Seinfeld"). It is strange the episodes are out of order on the first set, but at least everything is there.

16. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

That's all Rose

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  17. Michael

what were they thinking? what collector of old TV shows would want them out of order?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
    Scope J likes this.
  18. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

:realmad:

Michael likes this.
  19. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

Think they put the most funny in their opinion in a running order which is crazy....nonetheless at least it is all there.

20. Michael

they are all funny...the only way to release any season set of TV on DVD is in episode order...period.:)

Scope J likes this.
  21. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

Agreed....

22. Michael

we have been lucky to get these obscure shows of the past on DVD! but, since they will only be done once they should get it right the first time...

Scope J likes this.
  23. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

I am still waiting for the rest of Bilko.......right or wrong....

Gumboo likes this.
  24. Michael

don't hold your breath! I'm waiting for that and others as well...my luck they'll come out on MOD like Cheyenne and others I was trying to complete...WTF! they even went MOD with Alfred Hitchcock Presents Volume 5! that sucks!:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.