Capitol Beatles Box Set Vol 2 - Apr 11 Release Date? *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Veech, Mar 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert Lan

Robert Lan Forum Resident

Like my little brother likes to say, "No one here gives a Focker what I have to say." :)

But to answer your question: No. This is definitely NOT an April Fool's joke. The set is on its way as I write.

2. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Is this also true of any of the albums in Vol. 1?

3. Winter Hugohalter

Winter Hugohalter New Member

"I Want To Hold Your Hand" and "This Boy" are in true mono on "Meet The Beatles!",the rest of the mono album is a fold down. Most of The mono "Second Album" is a fold down as well except for "You Can't Do That", "Long Tall Sally", "I'll Get You" and "She Loves You". Both "Something New" and "Beatles '65" contain all true mono mixes.

4. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Isn't the mono "Roll Over Beethoven" on "Second Album" a true mono mix? It doesn't have a ton of reverb like the stereo version does.

5. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

For set 1, capitol records set up a web site with audio samples here:
    www2.capitolrecords/beatles/sampler
    As of today, this URL returns "The page cannot be displayed"

:chill: at this point in time we must all assume that Wollensak is providing information in a truthful manner. The copy that he was supplied may indeed have the mixes that he describes. As others have already pointed out, we will soon find out if that is the actually product that is sold upon release. As fara s comparing the box to the EPK, it won't be the first time that the advertised product looks different that what is actually sold in the stores. I suggest that you review the forum rules:

Gorts, if I am overstepping my boundries here, please delete my post

6. 22dRow

22dRow New Member

I'm surprised so many people are questioning Wollensack and saying things like "he's completely full of it". All he did was listen to it and report back. I have no reason to doubt his truthfulness. I appreciate that he went to the trouble to listen to it and report back to us what he heard. We should be THANKING him!

lukpac likes this.
  7. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

[​IMG]

8. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Larry, Capitol really should have contracted with you to write the liner notes for the box :D

9. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

Irish release date has also slipped a week. No boxset for me today :thumbsdn:

Ken

10. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

"I Call Your Name" on the mono "Second Album" is a true mono mix, and also a very unique one, one that wasn't released anywhere else in the world(listen to where the cowbell comes in).

Evan

11. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

State attorneys general likely have more pressing instances of consumer fraud to deal with than whether or not this box set contains historically accurate substandard reverb-drenched mono mixes or newly created substandard reverb-drenched mono mixes. Outside of the people who have posted on this thread, 99% of the people who buy this will not have the slightest inkling of what mixes have been used. I doubt that Capitol/EMI attorneys even comprehend the issues at stake here, and I question whether the sale of new mono fold-downs would constitute deceptive advertising - there have been hundreds, if not thousands, of CDs mastered from safety dubs or "wrong" masters over the years - as long as the CD does in fact play "Ticket To Ride" in whatever mangled mix was in fact chosen, what would the consumer have to complain about?

lukpac likes this.
  12. Phlo

Phlo Formerly dave-o

You are considering purchasing this set? After reading some of your recent posts in this thread I'd be curious to know why.

13. GabeG

GabeG New Member

I agree with this completely. It's absurd to think that this would come to a legal matter. The worst that would come of this is some bad pr for capitol.

By the way, I think there will have to be a lot of apologizing to wollensack.

lukpac likes this.
  14. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

It's the Beatles. That's what so sad about the whole ongoing mess with the Beatles' catalog since 1987. Capitol/EMI/Apple is never punished for their mishandling of the catalog, because the Beatles mean so much to so many millions of people that they will buy whatever is released. I'll buy this box for the same reason I bought the first box - for the chance to hear the improved CD mastering of some songs that, although they are intentionally crippled by the absurd insistence on faithfulness to the original Capitol mixes, are still better than the 20-year-old out-of-date mastering on the 1987 CDs.

15. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

16. I don't want to comment on this any further other than to say that I was speaking about the plaintiffs' bar--not state attorneys general--and this sort of action would be right up their alley.

Believe me, EMI legal has these *exact* concerns in mind when they sell and market products. Trust me, I am well-qualified to speak about this area. However, outside of my professional representation of clients, I do not discuss the law, and will not discuss specifics in this forum, or anywhere else.

17. jpgr4ever

jpgr4ever New Member

Maybe you should read the other replies to his posting...many others here dont believe him either, and it is April Fool's Day tomorrow. I was just stating my opinion.

Also, I was told by Bruce Spizer that the Help cd wouldnt have the gatefold cover, and the one in the EPK doesnt. Im pretty sure that what you see is what we're getting :)

18. jpgr4ever

jpgr4ever New Member

Okay I admit I shouldnt have went as far as saying he was "full of it", but I would still like some more proof that he has this set (like maybe some pics). If he did get a bogus pressing of the discs, I really just think it's the advance copy and not the actual retail pressing. Maybe Apple/Capitol dont want the actual product being out this early. I thought that was the whole idea behind the "sampler" cd.

19. yellowballoon

yellowballoon Senior Member

Speaking of the sampler CD, supposedly it's out now. People are discussing the sampler, which has 8 songs in stereo and also mono, on the Yahoo Beatles-Collectors group. You can see the sampler here on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Beatles-Capitol...goryZ432QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Now if someone can get a hold of this and let us know what mix the mono "I've Just Seen A Face" is...

Chris

20. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

I think you put too little faith in the Beatles fans who will be purchasing this set. I agree, some people wouldn't have a clue if all the mixes were incorrect, but 99%? :rolleyes:

21. jpgr4ever

jpgr4ever New Member

I have played the mono & stereo mixes for friends who aren't exactly major Beatles fans, and they think they're just hearing the same song twice. In fact, some think I'm nuts for buying the same songs over & over again, but would Capitol really try to pass these by as mono mixes if they weren't authentic? I would think that they released this set to target the real fans who know these mixes and will be disappointed if they're not the correct versions, otherwise wouldnt they just reissue the UK stereo mixes in the Capitol running order?

22. jpgr4ever

jpgr4ever New Member

Even when they do a "fold-down" mono mix, I still think there is some balancing involved. I've tried doing stereo to mono and usually one channel will be louder than the other in certain spots. The Capitol Starline 45 of "From Me To You" in '65 was just the stereo mix in mono, but when I tried to recreate this mix the vocal / music balance was off in most places. I'm sure there is some work involved in the fold-down mixes.

23. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

To prevent problems in the future with a thread that gets too long.......

Discussion continues HERE

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.