Capitol Beatles Box Set Vol 2 - Apr 11 Release Date? *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Veech, Mar 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

Technically, A Hard Day's Night had never been released on a Capitol album either. Talk about a major omission!

Like I said, it was a weird collection. It would have been nice to have The Inner Light. But what was really strange was that it did NOT contain the "A" side of their most recent single, Get Back!

Dexter

2. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

Can't Buy Me Love and I Should Have Know Better were both released on the Capitol LP "Reel Music" a bit after the fact but they were relased in stereo and on a Capitol LP.

JF

3. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

You're right Dexter....when I made my own "Hey Jude" compilation I included both sides of the "Get Back" and "Lady Madonna" 45...that filled it out a bit more,plus as was said earlier to fill it out even more you could go with "Misery" and "There's A Place"(even though they were on Rarities)......!

JF

4. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

It would been nice to have "Get Back" on the Hey Jude album, but since it was to be included on the upcoming Let It Be album, it was left off.

5. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Very true...AND it was already released in stereo in the US....and you're right Dexter, AHDN was not on a Capitol LP at the time Hey Jude was released....my goodness what were they thinking. of course, the songs in question were not included in stereo on US Capitol PRIOR to Hey Jude...of course subsequently they have appeared on myriad collections and albums. Ron

6. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

...well there goes the celebrations. :(

7. brainwashed

Well, it would be great if they were re-released as-is. I think most forum members would gobble them up, since they are the best-sounding releases we have at the moment. But it sure would be easy to combine them into 2 or 3 CD sets. But then they probably futz with the sound. Hopefully, if they are re-done the correct tapes will be used for the first 4 songs on the Singles Set........Ron

8. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

We can only assume that they knew the song would be a key track on the upcoming Let It Be album, and that's why they didn't include it on Hey Jude. But the version that was on LIB wasn't exactly the hit...of course the same can be said of the song "Let It Be" itself. Disjointed times.

Dexter

9. brainwashed

The LP versions of Get Back and Let it Be hadn't been mixed yet...presumably they thought the single mixes would have been used for both songs.

10. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

I can never keep this straight - The EP box is superior to the Singles box for which songs again? Do the rest of them match up where applicable? What was the issue again?

Thanks!
    Dexter

11. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

That's what I was afraid of. Still, if this volume sells well, maybe they will put the Singles and E.P.s out. The music on vol 2 is more popular than the early stuff, so maybe it will do well.

12. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

The EP box is superior for these songs:

Love Me Do/PS I Love You
    Please Please Me/Ask Me Why
    She Loves You

For all other songs that overlap (FMTY, TYG, IFF, IWTHYH, CBML, IGY) I prefer the CD Singles Box, though the EP box versions aren't bad either - they are little more bass heavy than the CD Singles versions.

13. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Capitol had released them in Canada so maybe they got their notes mixed up and thought they had also released them in the US. There were 3 albums that were unique to Canada "Beatlemania: With The Beatles," "Twist And Shout," and "Long Tall Sally" (none of which had the Dave Dexter Jr. reverb, BTW). After those initial 3, the rest of the albums were identical to the US versions.

14. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

Did royalties change in the US in 1964 or 1965? Seems like it was right around then that albums dropped from 12 to 11 tracks.

Dexter

P.S. Thanks Mike!

15. furrykittens

furrykittens Forum Resident

The circuit city on 75th had the one I bought today. I did check the butterfield yesterday and there were none. The one off of route 59 was out as well.

16. rubbersounds

rubbersounds Forum Resident

Oh crap. I was starting to think that since these were on the Capitol site, maybe they would be the US singles which would include I Am The Walrus with the extra bit. But if you click on 'buy now' it takes you to Amazon and the familiar expensive cd and ep sets. :cry:

17. Brian W.

Brian W. Senior Member

The EP and Singles boxes are still quite easy to find on Ebay and used stores, for not much more than list.

18. Brian W.

Brian W. Senior Member

I would LOVE it if they would release a US CD Singles box.

19. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Nah, I think it was more a case that record companies decided to add profits. In the US, the royalties are paid per song rather than as a percentage of the entire album. So an 11-song album has fewer mechanical royalties payable than a 12-song album, but the labels could charge the same price for it.

You could see this in country music, too. The 12-song album became the 11-song album, which became the 10-song album, and then finally the 9-song album by the late 1980s, at which point, there was some resistance. Even today, 10-song CDs by country artists, especially those who lack clout, are commonplace.

20. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

I've seen the short (small) box at Costco for $44.

21. Jim Foy

Jim Foy Forum Resident

Veech wrote:
    "AHDN was not a Capitol release, it was released on United Artists. I'm not quite sure how UA got the rights to the soundtrack instead of Captiol, but that's how it was. Conversely, HELP was a Capitol release."

UA distributed the film and had the rights to the soundtrack wherefore they could release the songs that appeared in the film on an album.

Capitol, however, had the rights to every Beatles song released in the U.S. so they were allowed to release THE SAME SONGS on their rag-bag album 'Something New' as long as they didn't market them as soundtracks.

UA tried to out-do Capitol by releasing the George Martin instrumentals as singles which were the only tracks Capitol could not release but they didn't sell.

Things became worse when 'Help!' came up.
    Again, UA distributed the film but this time they didn't have the rights to release the songs wherefore Capitol did that on their soundtrack album.
    Needless to say, UA was very upset about this so in an attempt to throw them a bone EMI gave them the rights to release 'The George Martin Orchestra Plays 'Help!''.
    A bit of a mess, I'd say ...

22. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

And I remember buying 'Help!'...and being PO'd because it cost a dollar more...because it was an "official soundtrack album"! :mad: (The words of the sales clerk who sold me my mono copy...) And we only got 7 Beatles songs to boot! :mad: (We didn't realize at the time that we had already heard 3 'Help!' songs early...ahead of the UK...to fill out 'Beatles VI'! :laugh:

Re: AHDN - I figured that there must have been a reason why Capitol did not put "A Hard Day's Night" & "Can't Buy Me Love" on 'Something New'. It always seemed weird to me. Usually US albums had hit singles included. Ah well...didn't really matter. I had those singles - that meant there was room for other songs on SN! It was all mono back then for me anyway.

Dexter

23. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru

24. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

That was the link that started this whole "Capitol Albums" thread frenzy in the first place - click here to see where it all began!

Welcome to the party :D

25. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru

Ahhh, but it was in another thread--at least I didn't miss it here!

JcS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.