Capitol Beatles Box Set Vol 2 - Apr 11 Release Date? *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Veech, Mar 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

You beat me to it, Circuit City here only has the short box version....

As for me, I'll be there for Volume Two!

Evan

2. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

They still have it? I thought it had only been available for a limited period - I wonder if the one you've seen is just old stock....

3. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley New Member

Do they still sell it?

4. stevef

stevef Senior Member

There's been no *official* announcement as of yet... but here's the latest from the abbeyrd site...

http://abbeyrd.best.vwh.net/fabnews.htm

What's doing at the Capitol Tower?
    "Capitol Albums, Vol. 2," maybe?

--------------------------------------------
    (3/4/06) It all started Thursday night when we found two emails with links to this story at musicangle.com where you can clearly see a "Rubber Soul" tape box. The story indicates that not only is "Capitol Albums, Vol 2" in the works, but so is a UK remaster of the Beatles catalog.

More people emailed us Friday asking what was going on and if any of it was true.
    A little investigative work turns up the conclusion that it appears that the "Capitol Albums, Vol. 2" project is indeed beginning to show signs of stirring in the very earliest stages. Our sources were very tight-lipped and wouldn't say very much.

Remember, though, that with the Beatles' lawsuit against EMI still ongoing, any stirrings are basically just that until the lawsuit is settled. And certainly neither side wants to give away any ground or do anything to jeopardize their position until the suit is settled -- and any premature rumblings could do just that.

To further stir the mystery, Capitol Albums Vol. 2 is up on Amazon.com and one other online retailer, both with an April 11 release date. Coincidence?

And as for the remastering part of the story? Nothing to say as of yet.

5. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

I've got a question. Not having listened to my mono copy of The Early Beatles in years, what version of "Please Please Me" IS on there? I assume that Capitol used the same tapes that Vee-Jay did; of course, I might be assuming wrong. Or it could be an Extra-Dextered version of what Vee-Jay gave them. I need to pull that LP out to hear it again...

All Vee-Jay versions of "Please Please Me," whether on 45 (Vee-Jay 498, Vee-Jay 581, the Oldies 45 reissue) or on the mono LP of Introducing the Beatles, used the "dry" mix of "Please Please Me." And Vee-Jay 498, the Souvenir of Their Visit to America EP and the ITB mono LP used the "dry" mix of "Ask Me Why." Vee-Jay had copies of the UK single masters even before February 13, 1963 (the day most of what became the UK Please Please Me LP was recorded), and that's what it used on all its copies of those two songs. Yes, the Parlophone single is a generation earlier, but the same mix is on the Vee-Jay records.

6. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Yeah it's horrible. Fortunately I read enough about that on this forum so I was well prepared by the time I got mine for Christmas 2004.

7. I saw the short box at Circuit City at Concord Mills mall in Concord, NC just yesterday.

8. Brian W.

Brian W. Senior Member

I'm not missing the point. Put it on as a bonus track.

9. Brian W.

Brian W. Senior Member

Hmm, maybe not too much to hope for...

10. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

Unfortunately, Tim...like the Capitol mono "Help!" album. The mono "Early Beatles" is a fold-down of Capitol's stereo tapes. :shake:

11. squalldog

squalldog New Member

Where can I buy the short box version today (of volume 1)? And it is easily better than the longbox packaging wise?
    Thanks
    -Dan

12. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

13. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Here's a comparison of the first volume:

Attached Files:

14. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

But, are those disposable covers, or like box covers?

What are the guts like?

15. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Help put Dhani through college: collect 'em all. ;)

16. Paul Curtis

Paul Curtis Forum Resident

Hell yeah!

That is the mix. Accept no substitutes.

--Paul Curtis

17. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Dhani has a PHD.....Pappa had dough!

18. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

The internal "guts" are actually the same. The longbox houses the "guts" in an unfolded state, whereas the cube shape box houses the "guts" folded over.

The "folded over" version allows you to turn the "innards" around so that the CD spines, and the booklet spine in the other half, to all face outward within the confines of the outer box. You can't do that with the longbox.

So, most CD shelves will hold the cube box, allowing access to each individual "mini-disc" without taking the whole thing apart. It's definitely superior in the cube shape, and I hope Volume 2 continues the trend.

19. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Dhani graduated from Brown University, that's one of 'dem IVY League schools :p I believe he's 27 years old too...no need to disparage someone because he had a famous dad...even in jest. Ron

20. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Yea, you still are....there will not be any bonus tracks on this set. Each CD is a faithful recreation of the original US Capitol albums, prepared from the original US Capitol mono and stereo masters. This is why fold downs, unique stereo and mono mixes, and duophonic mixes are all part of the package. AS IS!!! Besides that, the dry mix of Please Please Me and Ask Me Why are not amongst the Capitol masters. Additionally, Capitol does not have in its possession the VeeJay masters. I believe they were destroyed by court decree in 1964. Over the years some of the original VeeJay metal stamp mothers have been auctioned, but the masters have never resurfaced. Ron

21. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Why would they be destroyed by a court decree? Were the masters illegally obtained?

22. heliokt

heliokt Forum Resident

Following this line, it would be more likely to have a box set vol. 3 with:

Yesterday and Today
    Revolver
    Sgt Pepper's
    Magical Mystery Tour

US Pepper does not have the inner groove
    I believe it was Capitol who created the concept of the MMT as an album.

Regards,
    Helio

23. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

I think "MMT" was only an EP in the UK, so it is a Capital album. If Capital could put a stereo and mono version of "MMT" and "Pepper" together it would make sense. Teh Beach Boys did that with "Pet Sounds" a while back, so why not?

Is the sound of the "MMT" CD much different from the original vinyl?

24. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley Active Member

Younger people are spending money on other things like x-boxes, college, ipods & downloading. Young people I read are some of the biggest purchasers of classic rock. a lot of music from the past 16 years sounds the same IMO. Regarding Vol. 2, if AHDN is on it, they can leave off the instrumentals. They were'nt perfomed by the Beatles, same for original Yellow Submarine album.

25. Gary Mack

Gary Mack Active Member

No, but Capitol sued because Vee-Jay continued distributing Beatles records after their contract to do so had expired. Find Bruce Spizer's book about the Beatles on Vee-Jay or do some searches. It was a long, ugly legal battle.

GM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.