Capitol Beatles Box Set Vol 2 - Apr 11 Release Date? *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Veech, Mar 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Does this mean that "Volume 3" will be "Revolver", "Yesterday...and Today", "Pepper" (stereo/mono) and "Tragical Misery Tour" (stereo/mono)?

2. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

I don't think so. These are supposed to be the USA versions. Please Please Me is a UK album.

Yea, if you can find it in the 10 pages somewhere.

3. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Something like this deserves a thread of its own. . . with a big title :agree:

I only really want "Rubber Soul" (and a mono "Pepper"), but don't have any desire to own the rest. . . :sigh: (man, I haven't listened to Beatles in over 3 months - I need something to bring the spark back).

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

:goodie: It's about time! THANKS TED!...another fine job I'm sure...glad to have you in our corner!:thumbsup:

5. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds Thread Starter

Yes you did Mike! :righton: I read your comment in that thread after I had started this one.

6. Michael

...maybe you could use THE AMERICAN SOUNDTRACK of HELP! in one of your weakest link threads...:agree:

HELP! is a SOUNDTRACK ALBUM, and is totally essential. :D

7. Michael

..united we stand. :D

8. Veech

Here is what I think we will see:

Vol 2:
    Early Beatles
    Beatles VI
    Help
    Rubber Soul

Vol 3:
    Yesterday & Today
    Revolver
    Hey Jude
    Rarities

Capitol's Pepper and MMT would be no different than what you can buy off the shelf today. Well, perhaps MMT would have processed stereo on a couple of songs, I'm not sure, but I don't think the general public would know or care about the differences.

Anyway, the US Rarities was a Capitol release, and was somewhat different from the UK version. Hey Jude was released in the US in 1970 and not in the UK until 1979, so it's a possibility. Now there may not be a mono Hey Jude mix, so it's possible vol 3 would include another album such as Hollywood Bowl which Capitol recorded live.

*edit* The more I consider it, I think Holywood Bowl may replace Rarities. So, I modify
    vol 3 to be:
    Yesterday & Today
    Revolver
    Hey Jude
    Hollywood Bowl

9. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

This is going to be an expensive year. This box, the Moody's SACDs, the Doors' albums supposed to be coming out in 5.1...

10. Veech

Absolutely, even if just for the James Bond intro!

Funny, United Artists had a Help "soundtrack" which was a collection of orchestral instrumentals conducted arranged by George Martin!

11. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Why is nobody including this in their projections?

12. Veech

AHDN was not a Capitol release, it was released on United Artists. I'm not quite sure how UA got the rights to the soundtrack instead of Captiol, but that's how it was. Conversely, HELP was a Capitol release.

13. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Wow. So every Beatles album was released by Capitol, except for just one?

14. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

You like "Nowhere Man" better on "Yesterday & Today"? :wtf: :D

15. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Yup. Fits much better on that album. :eek: (I always think of it as a "Yellow Submarine" song)

16. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

I'm sure Capitol didn't want to miss out on having the soundtrack rights to The Beatles "Help" soundtrack after United Artists got the rights to "A Hard Day's Night", and sold millions of copies. Interestingly enough, the theatrical re-release of "A Hard Day's Night" IIRC coincided with Capitol finally gaining the rights to the album in 1981. I didn't realize that George Martin had done an album with instrumental versions. I was only aware of Ken Thorne's score from the movie that was on the second side of the US "Help" soundtrack.

17. Veech

18. Veech

I agree.. "Nowhere Man" feels better on Y & T. Imo it fits better on the UK Rubber Soul than the UK Revolver. In this case, I agree with George's assertion that the song was interchangeable between the two albums.

19. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I'm on record here as finding this whole project to be a bizarre idea executed poorly, but I'll be buying this volume just like I bought the first one. Will replica French, Italian, and German box sets follow? :shake: At least the U.S. Rubber Soul sort of halfway makes sense as an album, unlike every other Crapitol release of the era. And it does have that alternate take of "I'm Looking Through You."

20. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Really? I haven't heard it in so long I didn't realize it was different. :wave:

Which version is "better"?

21. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Later though, probably in the 80s, Capitol did buy back the rights to A Hard Day's Night and Let it Be from United Artists, and re-released those LPs. UA doesn't even exist any more as a label.

22. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

If I recall correctly - and it's been a long time since I heard it - the U.S. version of "Im Looking Through You" has a false start or something like that that is not present on the Parlophone mix. From such minutiae do $44.98 box set purchases spring, I'm afraid. :sigh:

23. Veech

It has a false start which amounts to the intoductory chords strummed through a couple of times. I grew up on this version, and it's always sounded better to me.

The appeal of the vol 2 set would be to hear the songs in the same order and format as I first heard them 40+ years ago.

24. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Thanks. Once more for our overseas friends who may not know what the track listing for the U.S. version is:

Side one
    "I've Just Seen a Face" (from the UK "Help")
    "Norwegian Wood"
    "You Won't See Me"
    "Think For Yourself"
    "The Word"
    "Michelle"
    Side two
    "It's Only Love" (from the UK "Help")
    "Girl"
    "I'm Looking Through You"
    "In My Life"
    "Wait"
    "Run For Your Life"

From Wikipedia:

"Like other pre-Sgt. Pepper Beatles albums, Rubber Soul differed markedly in its US and UK configurations; indeed, through peculiarities of sequencing, the US Rubber Soul became something of a "folk-rock" album, thanks to the addition of "I've Just Seen a Face" and "It's Only Love" (leftovers from the UK Help!) and the deletion of some of the more upbeat tracks ("Drive My Car", "Nowhere Man", "If I Needed Someone", and "What Goes On"). The tracks missing on the US version would later surface on the Yesterday . . . and Today collection. The track variation resulted in a shorter album length, clocking in at 29 min 59 s. In addition, the US version has a "false start" at the beginning of "I'm Looking Through You."

"There were two different stereo versions released on vinyl in the US: the standard US stereo mix, and the "Dexter Stereo" version (a.k.a. the "East Coast" version), which has a layer of reverb added to the entire album."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.