Can Live In Aston 1977 (latest live release)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marmalade166, Apr 16, 2024.

1. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage! Thread Starter

2. Neil Jung

Neil Jung Forum Resident

I'll keep buying these as they come out for a while yet. Paris is one of my most listened to albums so far this year.

3. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Nice! I’ve been loving this whole series. So great to be able to compare the different eras, moods, etc of their live shows. Keep em coming, Mute!

Neil Jung likes this.
  4. JohnOO

JohnOO Well-Known Member

The second half of the show seems to be missing, going on what's in the existing tapes.

5. surfling

surfling Forum Resident

Copying over from a post from the Paris thread:

Does not seem to be the full show if it fits one CD, looks like they are releasing the first half of the show:
    The CAN - live

6. bobbydriver

bobbydriver Forum Resident

So it seems - another curious situation then that it looks like just a duplicate of what has been bootlegged
    https://www.discogs.com/release/771597-Can-Great-Britain-1977-Vol-2
    when it would surely be a more attractive proposition to include the uncirculated part of the show
    The CAN - live

Especially as the next release in August is due to be the Keele show from 2 days before the Aston gig. At Keele they played for well over 2 hours, so another 45 minute extract will be disappointing

jay.dee likes this.
  7. bobbydriver

Just listened to Part Vier (Dizzy Dizzy) on the official Bandcamp and it's clearly the same source tape as the circulating bootleg, but as usual they have EQed and mastered it to sound a little gentler on the ears. Not a huge difference though

marmalade166 and jay.dee like this.
  8. Graculus

Graculus Forum Resident

Aston '77 is an audience recording, and a very good one. However this release does not have the complete concert.The second half is completely missing which is a shame as it starts off with a lovely funky jam.

The set list is

Set 1:
    1. Fizz 13:58
    2. Vitamin C 8:48
    3. Pinch 17:09
    4. Dizzy Dizzy 8:17
    5. Sunshine Day and Night 13:29
    6. I Want More 12:38
    7. Encore attempt 5:13

Rosko Gee - Bass guitar / Michael Karoli - Guitar / Irmin Schmidt - Keyboards
    Holger Czukay - Electronics, Tapes / Jaki Liebezeit - Drums

The track that is on Bandcamp (Dizzy Dizzy) sounds a lot better than the recording I have.

marmalade166 and jay.dee like this.
  9. JohnOO

JohnOO Well-Known Member

I'm curious to see what they do with the next release, if the Keele concert is next up as people have said (it does appear on websites linked to in the Paris release thread). I spent a while listening to all the shows from 1977 I could find, they really are fantastic when they ignite behind a groove, but sometimes they do plod a bit.

10. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Pre-ordered this the second I saw the notice, so very much excited for it. That said, I am slightly disappointed that this seems to be following the Cuxhaven release and only giving us a portion of the show. I just don't understand why, since from all signs it appears these are taken from the same source as the circulating boot. Why take all the time to clean it up for only a partial show? Do they think there's not a market for 2xCD or 3xLP releases each go*?

* - if you are reading this, powers that be, I can assure you that I and many others will pay for the full shows!

Tristero, marmalade166 and crozcat like this.
  11. bobbydriver

I can only guess that they aren't confident on making so many sales on a 2xCD/3xLP set of shows from 1976 onwards where the band were (according to the critics at least) past their peak, and that releasing a single CD/LP means they can keep the price down and tempt a few more fans to hear how great they were

GuidedByJonO))) likes this.
  12. surfling

surfling Forum Resident

Good point.
    They could still make the rest of the show available as a download or something...

marmalade166 likes this.
  13. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

I thought/assumed the issue is that the gent who was providing the tapes for the series, which he recorded himself, died unexpectedly? As such, it doesn't surprise me that they are continuing with sources that have already circulated as bootlegs.

14. JohnOO

JohnOO Well-Known Member

I think he (Andy Hall) recorded most of the bootlegs doing the rounds anyway.

15. Jarra Lad

Jarra Lad Forum Resident

16. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

BlueSpeedway, Jarra Lad and timnor like this.
  17. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

And you get a feature on Dave Gilmour too so a doubly good purchase for you I guess? :)

18. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

I’m not actually a fan of his solo work, but it’s a good issue anyway!

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  19. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Nice Q&A with Irmin in that new issue of Uncut mag.

footlooseman likes this.