BUFFALO SPRINGFIELD )))Listen to "Mr. Soul" in MONO!(((

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Leppo, Aug 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leppo

Leppo Forum Librarian Thread Starter

Anyway, have you noticed that "Mr. Soul" and "Satisfaction" are musically very closely related? :confused:

2. audio

audio New Member

This tidbit found on what is probably the same website Leppo was reading when he came up with his "Satisfaction" comment:

"Interestingly, Otis Redding was interested in the recording the song(Mr Soul), but Neil refused to allow it."

BTW, have you noticed that Buffalo Springfield's initials are B.S.?:D

3. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

Guys! Are you insane? Stop talking about file sharing in public!! Hello! The RIAA snoops around, ya know? Y'all are gonna get Steve and I in trouble!

4. beatlematt

beatlematt Forum Resident

To quote our great President-"Bring'em on!"

5. audio

audio New Member

No, not "bring'em on". I'm not a Gort, but I can still see what's going on here. The people that keep mentioning this are screwing it up for all of us. Forgive me if I'm overstepping my bounds here....but I suggest we all PAY ATTENTION to what Jeff is saying and cut it the hell out. Otherwise, I can see the day when we won't even be able have 30 second clips here. If I'm guilty of mentioning file sharing(I don't think I am, am I?), let me be the first to stand up and apologize to Steve and Holy Zoo for stoking the fire.

6. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

If I had heard the mono version I would have thought that the different guitar solo was cooler (if cleaner) than the LP take and the bass more up front in the mix.
    I would have thought it really rocked.
    Thanks Leppo!
    :righton:
    Peace-
    Norm

7. daviddaniel

daviddaniel Forum Resident

Leppo,

This all issue made me dish out the Neil Young collection and BS albums.

Do you know if there are other non lp tracks like that on BS?

Regards

DAN

8. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

"Uno-Mundo"(45 title: "Un - Mundo")is a different stereo mix on the Atco 45, while "Special Care" could be a special mono mix; it certainly has a special, earlier fade compared to the Lp cut....but other than that, no, can't think of any other 45 differences of major note from BS, other than what's already been discussed...

:ed:

9. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

There's "Merry Go Round" on 45 too, different mix.

10. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

You're right! There's another one...a shame, when the box set was being assembled, someone didn't do further research, because there's more than enough missing, sad to say...

:ed:

11. Doug Hess Jr.

Doug Hess Jr. Senior Member

Would this be a good time to mention that I'm supposed to be getting to interview a certain Mr. Furay about a new Buffalo Springfield book in the next week or so....

12. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I got the other one. :)

13. wen_4

wen_4 New Member

The mono "Mr Soul" is definitely a treat, if you are used to the stereo version. It seems to feature an alternate guitar solo.
    I am for suggesting to Mr. Furay, Neil (and the remaining members of BS) to make an addendum to the Box Set with the mono Again, the mono singles, the longer "Bluebird", and the rest of Last Time Around. I still don't get the 4th disc of the box, and the repetition. Its like they ran out of ideas, and just repeated the debut for fun.

14. Sput

Sput Boilerphile In Memoriam

Thanks for the link. Those sound GREAT in my opinion.

15. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Fat chance. IMO, it was sheer wrong-headedness and greed on NY's part in the first place that repeated the BS mono mixes and BSA stereo mixes on disc 4, intentionally excluding the LTA tracks that weren't "real" BS tracks (and the "unauthorized" stereo mixes from their managers), and jacking up the price. As was always the case, the Box Set was largely driven by NY's erratic judgement and taste, and his particular take on BS.

Despite those rather glaring omissions, tho, the Box does feature a wealth of treasures, and is probably one of the nicer archive boxes compiled.

16. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

Which is why I borrowed the box set from the library and made a custom three-CDR edition of it instead of buying it. That bull**** cuts both ways.

17. MattK

MattK Forum Resident

What are the details behind the unreleased album "Stampede"? I used to see it in bootleg form on CD and vinyl, but that was several years ago. Who played on it, and why wasn't it finished? Were any songs released as singles, and were any inlcuded on the boxset?

18. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

"Stampede" was NOT a really a "lost" or unreleased album, like "The Beatles: Get Back" or "SMiLE" or The Kinks "Four More Respected Gentlemen".

Stampede was purely ATCO Records' attempt to anticipate delivery of the next BS album. They went so far as to produce an album slick, but there was never a real track list associated with Stampede, and certainly not a banded and completed tape.

The "standard" Stampede boot lineup collects some outtakes and demos, and a performance at Whittier High School, but most of the studio tracks were already old by the time the Stampede title was being bandied about.

PS - The Stampede album slick itself is very nice collectible - and one that has eluded my grasp for years.

19. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

Pure speculation ahead...

This "Mr.Soul" mix is truly fantastic! But it's also IMO very ragged/loose/sloppy for "Again" era studio Springfield. I think the single was put out well before the album, right? Sounds like a completely different session than the album version. I've read how Neil always wished they had sounded on record like they did live. Maybe Stills let Neil have his "head" on this, and then we later get the "official" one for posterity? I can't imagine Steve Stills being happy with this performance. Wasn't he kind of the perfectionist McCartney to Neil's "one-take" Lennon? Maybe Steve asked him to keep it off the box, or Neil wanted it all along exclusive for the "Archives". I know Young has been quoted many times about his fondness for this particular take. Any thoughts?

Mike D'Aversa

20. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Mike - I recall, simiilarly, that the single was recorded well before the final album version. The second album sounds to be a long-coming affair, compiled over numerous groups of sessions at various studios, over something like 14 (?) months.

I am quite comfortable with the thought that what appeared in the Box is what Neil wanted on the Box. As always, throughout the compilation process, Neil seems to be the limiting variable and chief naysayer. And yes, one could easily surmise that the wants to hold that single take, as well as his vocal version of DOWN TO THE WIRE and who knows what else, for his own massive archive issue. (He couldn't very well tell the NY story without his favorite BS cuts, could he?) JMO.

21. Leppo

It appears that "Mr. Soul" was released about 5 months before Again! :eek:

Buffalo Springfield Discography

Date ALBUMS / Singles
    1966 Nowadays Clancy Can't Even Sing
    1966 October BUFFALO SPRINGFIELD
    1967 January For What It's Worth
    1967 July Mr. Soul
    1967 September Rock n Roll Woman
    1967 November BUFFALO SPRINGFIELD AGAIN
    1968 January Expecting To Fly
    1968 June Uno Mundo
    1968 August Kind Woman
    1968 August LAST TIME AROUND
    1968 October Four Days Gone
    1969 February RETROSPECTIVE: THE BEST OF BUFFALO SPRINGFIELD
    1970 October EXPECTING TO FLY
    1973 December BUFFALO SPRINGFIELD (2LP)
    1973 STAR COLLECTION
    2001 July 17 BOX SET

22. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

It's nice to have but I'd have to vote for the stereo just because I'm so used to it... but I think that solo might grow on me. :)

23. Leppo

It sure grew on me. I love that solo. :love:

BTW, you can still send me a PM if you missed out earlier. :thumbsup:

24. SteveSDCA

SteveSDCA Senior Member

I pulled out my Mono copy of B. S. Again the other day and gave it a spin. I'm glad I picked it up. It's not even that expensive either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.