Bruce Springsteen "Born To Run" old CBS CD. Wow, it cannot be beat.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Y'know, this is exactly why I never, ever get rid of duplicate CDs as "better," remastered editions are issued. I agree, there is something about that initial CBS CD of BORN TO RUN, although I must confess I tend to play the MasterSound gold CD when I listen to it.

2. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

How have you determined this? Based on Steve’s description in the OP and the additional detail Steve has provided previously that Andreas dug up in post #81, it sounds to me that Steve is actually talking about “Group #3." Particularly, the matrix DIDP 050021 detail. I have this disc, and even though it says “Now Made In The USA” on the back cover (vertical, on the left) it also says “Record Manufactured In Japan by CBS/Sony” on the bottom.

3. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

This is SPOT ON. Based on the matrix info he provided in the older (linked) thread, Steve's disc is not the first pressing, and the EAC numbers do not match those documented, here, for 'Group #1'.

4. HotHere

HotHere Forum Resident

What does it say on your disc?

5. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

But it doesn't say "Made In Japan" on the disc itself, which Steve's does. I have the disc you describe also.

6. ivan_wemple

The only "Made In Japan" disc with the matrix number documented, by Steve (see post #81 above for link), is the JVC pressing, not the CBS/Sony pressing. The Japan JVC pressing uses the "Group #3" mastering.

7. GreenDrazi

Did Steve ever say "Made In Japan" was on the disc/matrix? He doesn't say that in the OP.

8. ivan_wemple

No, he doesn't. He doesn't say so in the other thread, either. I think Steve's got himself a good ol' later-pressing USA-made disc, and he thinks it was manufactured in Japan because the text on the tray card (erroneously) says so.

9. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

This helps us know where you are coming from. You reliably hear differences between two CD's with the same mastering but you don't understand the difference between the multitracks and the mixdown tape.

Robert C and Billy Infinity like this.
  10. HotHere

HotHere Forum Resident

You are absolutely correct! If it has the DIDP info in the matrix and does not have DADC in the hub, then it's the JVC "Group #3".

Since there are so many variances on this, I wonder if Steve would be so kind as to clarify for us again the disc info (not the tray/insert info)?

11. GreenDrazi

Mine matches the Group #3, DIDP 050021.

Back cover: “Now Made In The USA” (vertical, on the left) and it also says “Record Manufactured In Japan by CBS/Sony” on the bottom.

Disc:
    Printed: Made in USA (bottom), CK 33795, DIDP 050021
    Matrix: DIDP-050021 05

Attached Files:

12. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I read threads like this and wonder why I didi'nt know this before buying the freakin' box set. Jeez...

13. HotHere

HotHere Forum Resident

@GreenDrazi - Thanks for the scan! There are numerous threads here about early CBS discs where the tray says one mfg. location and the disc says another...very confusing at times (your example illustrates the point nicely). Makes for lively interaction, though!
    Thanks again for the scan! :)

However, the tray insert also has the "Now Made in the U.S.A." running vertically as you mentioned...yeah, it's very confusing at times!! [​IMG]

14. Fortune

Fortune Senior Member

15. Vocalpoint

Vocalpoint Forum Resident

As does my Canadian pressing - which matches the Group #3 EAC values exactly.

VP

16. Fortune

Fortune Senior Member

17. Fortune

Fortune Senior Member

Let's check my pics against it...

1) CBS on disc with logo. Check.

2) CK and DIDP numbers on right. Check.

3) Barcode and manufactured in Japan. (with NO mention of now made in USA) Check.

this is the only rub:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kayaker
    Steve - I've got the same one. Could you check the inner CD ring to see if it says "Made in USA-Digital Audio Disc Corp". Mine does - I probably got mine when I worked for CBS back around '85 at their employee store. Thanks..
    No, mine is from Japan, inner ring sez: DIDP 50021 - 21

18. GreenDrazi

Cool. Which group do the EAC values belong to?

19. GreenDrazi

Same question - which group do the EAC values belong to?

20. Fortune

Fortune Senior Member

It's a 35DP matrix. So #1.

21. houston

houston Forum Resident

remember a couple of years back, when Steve mentioned the Henry Mancini Gold cd? that created a big stir, and Amazon quickly ran out of copies; amazing what interest a 24 minute, 24 year-old cd could generate...

22. ivan_wemple

For any real Japan for USA BTR version, this is not text that would appear on the disc itself.

The implication, here, is that Steve read the text on the rear insert and assumed the disc was "Made In Japan."

The matrix number, explicitly documented by Steve, is the real smoking gun, here. The disc he's praising simply cannot be an early pressing with the 35DP first mastering.

If you've got one of those, and you like the way it sounds, that's great! If you've got a later pressing with the "Group #3" mastering (which I'm confident is the disc that Steve's described), and you like the way it sounds, that's great, too.

23. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

My above post should have said "...not JUST any copy with catalog number CK 33795."

I also don't know that the matrix code has to be "35DP-21 41A_". Any copy with "35PD-21" in the matrix code may due. That is, I am not aware of a mastering change while CBS/Sony was pressing copies in Japan for the U.S. market.

24. ivan_wemple

Moreover... this assertion contradicts Steve's claim directly. Steve is praising a later "mass-produced" disc (i.e., one with "Group #3" mastering, by virtue of its matrix number), and stating "Wow. It cannot be beat" (it's in the thread title).

I'm not implying either of these viewpoints is correct, of course, but both assertions seem a little dicey, given the nature of their subjectivity.

While I never paid attention to only the vocals, specifically, I think both of these versions sound like butt... this recording is a sonic mess.

25. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Well, this just confusing. So Steve is praising the #3 (common) mastering, not the original 35DP mastering?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.