Bruce Springsteen "Born To Run" old CBS CD. Wow, it cannot be beat.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fortune

Fortune Senior Member

My 35DP disc was pressed in the Japan by CBS (for the US) and has a clear sticker on the actual disc with black lettering that says, "Made In Japan". Weird.

2. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

I got my CD from BMG Music Club a few years ago. I pulled it out recently to compare to a vinyl copy I found. On the CD it sounds like the veil was--- ah nevermind.

3. mrbadexample

mrbadexample Forum Resident

So I had this ,picked up the 30th,dumped the older disc and now feel WTF.It's ok I stilllike the box set and I've got the DVD's,what the hell.

4. Lukather

Lukather Forum Resident

I had to go run upstairs to check and see if I had this version. I do!!! Insert is missing because Bruce signed it for me in 1990. I know, what a bragger.........

5. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

I have copies of the both the Japan for US and the 35DP and they both sound really good. Have also had later versions incl the 32DP and they IMHO don't sound as good.

6. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

How was that confirmed? I recall Steve saying that his CD has a matrix with "DIDP 50021 21" which would match mastering 3. Also, he even posted a picture of the back insert somewhere, and it is identical to the back insert I have with my CD of group 3.
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=3269522&postcount=64
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=3269614&postcount=69

7. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

How does your CD sound?

8. bonzo59

bonzo59 Forum Resident

Don't tell me
    I own 3 copies of BTR on cd.....Mastersound,30th Ann. and Japan 2005 Vinyl Replica.
    Thank God i own a "Classic Records" 200 gr Lp.

Ehm....i gave away my original CBS cd many years ago...Damn!!!!!!

9. marantzbe

marantzbe Hyperactive!

I had to have the original Euro pressing from Austria, sold and replace with the Gold Mastersound, big mistake.

10. kumbbl

kumbbl Member

i do not understand that... This wall of sound can not be on the multitrack tapes befor the final mix - so remixing means starting again from these multitrack-tapes and generating a new stereo mix (as with Aqaulung) - why this should not be possible?!

11. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Your disc is a later Japanese JVC pressing, not the original Japanese CBS/Sony pressing that Steve mentioned. I'm sure your disc has "CK-33795" in the matrix code instead of "35DP-21". Only the CBS/Sony pressing has 35DP-21 in the matrix code.

The Japanese JVC pressing hit the shelves in limited quantities in '85 or '86. By then, the Japan-for-U.S. CBS/Sony pressing Steve referenced was long out of print and manufacturing had shifted to the U.S. DADC plant to handle most of the demand. However, CBS in the U.S. had to farm out manufacturing of some titles to JVC and Denon in Japan to fully meet demand as the DADC plant slowly ramped up production. In the case of the Springsteen Live 1975-1985 set, some copies were even pressed in West Germany to meet demand in the U.S.

Taxman likes this.
  12. KeithH

Oops. Just saw the above post. This confirms that you have the JVC pressing.

Since the JVC pressing came out after manufacturing had shifted from the Japanese CBS/Sony plant to the U.S. DADC plant, you got the later "Now Made In The U.S.A." inserts.

I should add that the earliest U.S. DADC pressings from '85 actually pre-date your Japanese JVC pressing. These earliest U.S. DADC pressings are found without "Now Made In The U.S.A." on the back insert. Confusing, ain't it?

Taxman likes this.
  13. moops

moops Senior Member

So if I come across a European CDCBS 80959 DIDP21, does it fit the bill ? :help:

14. marantzbe

marantzbe Hyperactive!

And for the European market, some CD were pressed in Japan and the other ones as usual in Austria.
    My set purchased back new in 1986 has this mix.
    Very confusing. :help:

15. prof. stoned

prof. stoned Forum Member

So, could you tell us a bit more about this? You clearly seem to know what you're talking about.

16. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

I see this thread of our host is influential; there are - after a day - now very little left at Amazon, besides two far too expensive ones and one of a seller with a low score...:agree:

17. KeithH

The problem is that the mastering Steve referred to in his opening post is not found on any copy with catalog number CK 33795. As discussed here, later U.S. pressings have a different mastering. Given that the U.S. pressings are far more common than the original Japanese CBS/Sony pressings, my bet is that the Amazon sellers are had the former, especially at such low prices.

18. KeithH

For years, I thought the MasterSound gold CD was the preferred mastering of Born to Run (if you could get past the indexing error on some copies). Perhaps these folks had not heard the original Japanese CBS/Sony mastering?

The gold disc sounds good to me, but I haven't compared it the early Japanese pressings. Who here has done that comparison?

19. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I recognize that there are many, many members here and that we all end up pursuing various facets of the music hobby, but I'm shocked that Steve's endorsement of a near 30 year old mastering is generating so much interest. There are hundreds of original CD masterings that are amazing (and can't be beat). I've learned about all of them here on the forum. I suppose I'm curious where other members are devoting their time here??

And fyi, there likely aren't any MasterSound gold CDs with the best mastering. The initial Japan or WG stuff (or some DCC, MFSL) will reign supreme and it won't even be close.

20. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

It is THE greatest album of all time, at least in rock'n'roll. But I never cared for the sound of original CD. Thin is the perfect word for it. The remastered CD sounds a lot better and frankly I don't buy the argument that the production is lousy. Did anyone watch the DVD from the Deluxe Edition? Everytime the BTR tracks come up they sound AMAZING.

21. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

NO!!!!:realmad: The Wall of Sound is the soul of this album. It's absolutely essential. If anything there's not enough Spector influence here for my taste.

22. silvertrees

silvertrees Forum Resident

The copy I have has the following:
    back tray- "Now Made In The U.S.A. on the left side and the barcode at the bottom of it with the #D105134 Mfd. for BMG Direct.
    Disc- Large CBS logo on left side and on the right side #D105134 with CK33795 under it and DIDB 050021 under that. the inner ring has DIDP-050021 4.
    Insert- fold up job with lyrics.

Since I can't determine the EAC levels on this disc, can anyone tell me from the info I provided which version I own?

BTW, I was listening to this the other day and was very impressed with the overall sound of it-especially the vocals.

23. HotHere

HotHere Forum Resident

:hide:

But only the ones that say "Made in Japan" along the bottom of the disc itself and with 35DP-21 41Ax in the matrix though, if I understand correctly. (Mine has 35DP-21 41A7 +++++ and matches the EAC Peaks exactly and does sound very good.)

As far as ease of obtainability...

I'd agree 100% with you there, Keith!

24. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

The original Japan 35DP CSR pressing (which has Pre-emphasis flag set and must be decoded properly) will beat a remaster. The mass produced CDs made in US by DADC (or in Japan by JVC) do not have the original PE mastering.

And I continue to be baffled by the activity in this thread. Again, there are hundreds of very early masterings that have been discussed here in the forum for years that "cannot be beat".

25. Vocalpoint

Vocalpoint Forum Resident

Well - I think when our host (who has created many "definitive" masters) decides to suddenly jump in and write up on a 30 year recording as "definitive" -I think that alone is enough for plenty of activity in any thread.

VP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.