Bruce Springsteen "Born To Run" old CBS CD. Wow, it cannot be beat.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wdp33

wdp33 Forum Resident

I looked and found this old chestnut (the spine is so sun-bleached that it is hard to read). You really get a sense of how loud CDs are these days when you compare it to the most recent version.

2. Vocalpoint

Vocalpoint Forum Resident

I always heard that the 35DP has pre-emphasis? If it the same mastering as the Japan for US - should that not have pre-emph as well?

VP

3. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

There's 35+ years of CD's and LP's of the original mix floating around. It's not like the original would be making the original unavailable. I'd just be interested in a fresh/alternate perspective on it. Same with The River...amazing albums, but both could use a fresh, made-from-scratch mix, not just a remaster. If they sucked, we'd all still have our old copies.

4. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Beware PE for those of you with network music players. I use WaveEmph. There so many early CDs with stunning sound quality, so find a collector in your hood and enjoy the magic!

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

OK, Steve you did it now! Here we go again! Congrats to all who own this CD...

Ugly Pink anyone.:)

6. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

7. George P

George P Notable Member

I am listening to the third mastering now (3. EAC levels: 93.5, 99.9, 86.4, etc.) and Bruce voice sounds great!

Mine is same mastering as yours (and it sounds great!) How does yours sound?

8. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

The 35DP is one of the first CD's I owned; got it for Christmas back in the 80's. Still have it.

9. Fortune

Fortune Senior Member

I've compared the 1st and 3rd masterings a while back and they are different. The 3rd one has a lot more treble than the 35DP (1st one).

I never understood why people called this album "muddy" until I heard the 35DP. It's a lot muddier, but it sounds amazing.

Also note, the 35DP has pre-emphasis so when you rip it to iTunes or EAC or whatever, make sure you account for that. There's a great Audacity plug in somewhere on the web that de-emphasizes discs with pre-emphasis.

10. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks for the info!

11. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

I bought when it came out, as I insisted I have everything on CD. Until the latest remaster, it was what I listened to it on...the copy I burned for use at work. I'm a fan of the remaster as it brought to life, all the instruments that I thought had been buried. Especially on the title track. Having said that, I prefer "Jungleland" from the original CD. Steve's solo just blisters my speakers.

12. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Actually, your CDCBS 80959 disc is the Japan-for-Europe issue. CK 33795 is the original U.S. catalog number.

13. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I used to have the original issue, but returned it to the record store where I worked at the time, when the new "Made in the USA" version was released (even though the disc in the package was made in Japan). This was before I knew what was what, and always thought since they were now making the disc in the USA it must be better (since I remember the original sounding very muddy).

Obviously, in the past 10 or 15 years I have learned to never sell any old CD, even if I get the remastered version. But back in the 80's and early 90's, if I got a new version of a CD, the old one was either sold (or placed in returns when I exchanged the disc when I worked in a record store). Oh the folly of youth.

Anyway, I have what most would consider the "3rd" mastering of the disc.

14. George P

George P Notable Member

What do you think of it?

15. MikeT

Oh - so you expect me to actually listen to it. :D I will listen in the next day or so, as I'm listening to other stuff tonight.

16. George P

George P Notable Member

:laugh:

Thanks.

17. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Are you saying the disc with the "Made in the USA" packaging that you had/have says "Made in Japan"? Because the one I have says "Made in the USA". Would be interesting if there actually are Japan made discs with packaging that say "Made in the USA" for people hunting them down.

18. MikeT

Yes, my disc is the initial version our record store got in that says "Now Made in the USA" on the back tray insert, but the disc inside clearly states Made In Japan on the disc itself (and appears to be a Japanese made disc). But it isn't the original mastering, as the peak levels match the 3rd pressing listed earlier in this thread.

19. gilbert green

gilbert green Forum Resident

I've never heard this wonderful album sound good, except for quiet parts (meeting, bits of jungleland)- its so frustrating. The Hammersmith Backstreets and Jungleland are so much better.

However, I've never, ever heard a bad sounding LP or CD of the equally great WIESS!

20. Ricko

Ricko Forum Resident

Hmmm George. Yes his voice sounds more "there" than in later remasters. A bit bright for me, but it sure sounds untampered-with and there's plenty of detail. (I don't have the earlier CD to compare with, but the difference between the tracks on this and the compressed remasters on Gr Hits is like chalk & cheese.) My call is that it's the same master, with amplitude individually boosted on the quieter tracks. No apparent limiting however.

There's only so much remaster tinkering you can do with this album: the inherent problems lie in the mix. Most who attempted stereo Wall Of sound in the 70s screwed up, and BTR is no exception. :)

21. jpgettes

jpgettes Senior Member

Even more interesting... thanks!

22. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Interesting. Out of curiosity what are the matrix numbers because on the list you refer to there is no Japan for U.S. pressing other than the first pressing? Also does you copy specifically say "Made in Japan"? I just acquired a cheapo copy of an Amazon seller that supposedly says "Manufactured in Japan by CBS/Sony, Tokyo, Japan... 1975..." but I won't know the peak levels until I get it.

23. gilbert green

gilbert green Forum Resident

The solo is by Brucie.

Also, does anyone know why Danny is almost completely absent from this album? IIRC, he's only on the '74 title track session.

24. MikeT

Matrix number - CK-33795-V1E13

The disc at the bottom states "Made in Japan" silk screened right on the disc.

25. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

You have a JVC pressing, which was pressed after DADC was the primary. The tray inlay was printed under assumption that a DADC pressing would be used.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.