Brace Yourselves: 60 CD Box of Grateful Dead '72 Europe Tour Due In Fall

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by shepherdfan, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimSmiley

JimSmiley Team Blue Note

Wow...Europe 72 tour in multi-track..hard to say no to that.

2. It's good to see an official release of Rotterdam 1972 (Rotterdam is less than 10 miles away from where I live), but 60 discs and $400? No thanks.

3. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

This made me laugh out loud--thanks for that! :)

4. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Incidentally, there are precedents for this kind of project: I believe the Allman Brothers Band have released complete tour sets in big box/crate formats, but these are of course recent tours, and presumably not multitracks.

5. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

not what I need to read as I tackle the Christmas bills.

6. windfall

windfall Senior Member

7. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Wonderful news! I have two bonus ideas:

Tivioli TV DVD, and 4/21/72 Beat Club, Bremen, WG, which I believe was a "soundcheck" show for the Rheinhalle venue later that week. Anyone know any more on that?

Attached Files:

8. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

9. Bear

Bear Forum Resident

Except that the band played at the Hollywood Festival in the UK two years earlier, in 1970.

Edit: Not wanting to nitpick of course. Sounds like a fair investment, it might sell out on pre-orders alone again just like the Fillmore set. Especially since that caused so much reactions. I will pass though, $400 is a lot of money!

10. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

They played a show in France in June 1971 as well.

11. Jerry

...which is on video!

12. thedudeabidz

thedudeabidz Stepping sharply from the rank and file

What, are they trying to bankrupt me?

13. Jerry

If you're a Deadhead, you're already bankrupted. ;)

14. spice9

spice9 Senior Member

C'mon, isn't there anything else worth listening to than these same songs over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over?

15. Bear

Bear Forum Resident

Ah yes, indeed! Thanks for mentioning :)
    Some of the most important Grateful Dead film footage in my opinion. Ranks among the best early circulating film of the Dead, together with Sunshine Daydream.

16. Jerry

Nope.

17. Bear

Bear Forum Resident

Well you know what they say: three sixty time's the charm!

18. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I have heard that Phil consults Deadbase to aid his memories of what he and the band did. Guess he didn't get to it this time.

19. Jerry

Yeah, and I don't think anyone would want to listen to the same songs of Miles Davis' 1965 band played over and over and over....you get the picture.

20. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

at least it's better than some compilations of the exact same versions for 30 years but we don't know any bands that would do that...:laugh:

21. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Nothing to complain about here, this has been many Heads' fantasy forever.

But I won't be buying it. I simply don't need all those first sets, and in all honesty, would never listen to more than a handful of the discs. Not that almost every second set isn't worthy, I just don't have the time for it.

Now, if they do a Fall '73 box, if they have tapes with the same quality of the Winterland box, I would probably buy that despite not having room for it in my life.

22. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Very intriguing. 60 CDs is a LOT of music. The price may be too much. I would imagine that there will be some other stunning archival sets issued during the fall from other acts as well. This past fall, you had box sets by Springsteen, The Who, Hendrix, Elvis Presley, etc etc., as well as other archival releases. It could be another pricey 4th quarter.

23. PetSounds

PetSounds Forum Resident

!!!! Take..my...money...now.... My fave year, my fave tour..$400 for this? I'd find a way to pay $4000 if I had to. I pray this does not fall through

24. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I'm in.

25. hifidelitybill

hifidelitybill Forum Resident

Betcha if added together 20 discs would be drum solos...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.