Bowie's "Ziggy" CD (RCA Japan VS. RCA West Germany)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Jul 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Although I don't have both versions the AU20 for "Station to Station"--according to some forum members there are TWO masterings for this one definitely superior to the other. I don't know the difference though (although the one I have sounds terrific and doesn't suffer from the shrill sound of the regular Ryko).

Anybody who has tried both want to chime in?

2. queuewindow

queuewindow Forum Resident

Wow, thanks karmaman. That makes three Aladdin Sane RCAs, right? Two Japans and one WG. How rare is this secret master?

3. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

not rare, it would seem the Denon (i.e. same as JPN for Europe) is the rarer and i was unaware of it until jh901 mentioned it in another thread, so the CSR is more common. so, three discs but only two masters.

4. queuewindow

queuewindow Forum Resident

Wait, what? The Japan for Europe and WG are identical?

5. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

there is no WG. there is a Japan for Europe and two Japan for US, one of which is the same as the Japan for Europe.

6. marcelbr

marcelbr Forum Resident

I wonder if it still happens today. Anyone? And if not, does anyone have a clue when cds got standarized?

7. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

It doesn't happen anymore, unless different labels own the rights of the same recording for different parts of the world. And even then, it's rare. People now understand the need for a uniform, global product.

CDs became standardized around the early 90's with the first publicized remastering campaigns, but there's no clear-cut date. For example even the Bowie remasters have different peak levels whether they are from Ryko (US) or EMI (EU).

8. marcelbr

marcelbr Forum Resident

Thanks a lot, Plan9. I live in Brazil, and I've always worried about that. I'll keep buying imported older cds and brazillian "newer" ones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.