Bowie's "Ziggy" CD (RCA Japan VS. RCA West Germany)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Jul 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

My US Dynaflex RCA LP of "Low" sounds absolutely fantastic.

2. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm still looking for a MINT German RCA "Ziggy" cd...anyone?

:cool:

3. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Per forum rules, you have to start a Classifieds thread, not post in the Discussion forums.

4. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident Thread Starter

Oh...sorry...I have to wait a few weeks to gain access.

:shake: :realmad: :angel:

5. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

6. Modern_Mannequin

Modern_Mannequin Active Member

That's odd. I've done some investigating and it seems the RCA version of Hunky Dory has only 9 tracks? (A few are merged.) Why is that? The vinyl had 11, all the CD versions I know of have 11 too.

7. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

Yes, that is correct, it has 9, whether you have the WG or Japan pressing. The artwork for the Japan release is wrong.

8. audiohound

audiohound Forum Resident

...was looking for RCA, but found EMI Japanese Ziggy (c1990)

I realy wanted an RCA, but found TOCP-6205 issued by EMI instead. Anyone familiar with this version and how it was mastered? Bonus tracks are:

John, I'm Only Dancing (single, B-side)
    Velvet Goldmine (single, B-side)
    Sweet Head (prev. unreleased)
    Ziggy Stardust (orig. demo)
    Lady Stardust (orig demo)

I'm just beginning to trade out my Virgin Bowie CDs as I learn more about the perils of brickwalling on this forum. My initial impression is that TOCP-6205 doesn't sound too "loud." Has anyone else heard this offbeat version, and how does it compare to the SACD (both SACD and CD layers)? Is it valuable or more "common' than I think?

Thanks,
    Audiohound

9. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

I prefer the R32P Japan to the W. Germany. No problems with the W. Germay, though, I like it. There is a very rare RPCD Japan pressing I have never seen or heard.

10. What is this about the 30th ann. edition having reversed stereo? I have not heard of this issue before, though it is the last Ziggy for me to seek out of the various editions.
    That appears to be the standard Ryko disc.

11. audiohound

That appears to be the standard Ryko disc.[/QUOTE]

Actually, it's not a Rkyo and the packaging specifically says Mfd by Toshiba-EMI of Japan. No where does it say Ryko and there Japanese printing on the package. However, I found below listing of CD reissues on the web and wonder if it's possible that my EMI shares the same master with a Ryko, if that's possible, since they both came out in '90 with bonus tracks?

US 1990 Rykodisc CDX RCD 10134 digital remaster w. bonus tracks,
    lyric sleeve
    JPN 1990 EMI/Toshiba CDX TOCP-6205 digital remaster w. bonus tracks

12. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Ryko handled US distribution and EMI handled the rest of the world. Same product though.

13. audiohound

Thanks, that explains it!

14. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

The Ryko/EMI releases are not brickwalled at all, but they have a bright, thin sound that I find a bit fatiguing; though they are generally clear.

This is one album where only the vinyl really nails it IMO although the RCA is not bad.

Tim

15. queuewindow

queuewindow Forum Resident

Sorry to revive this old thread, but I recently got a chance to listen to some Bowie RCAs and I have some questions before I commit to buying anything:

1) I heard some dropouts on Ziggy (Japan as far as I know), none of which I can remember now except for that glaring one in "Suffragette City". Is this present on the WG pressing as well?

2) Aladdin Sane. The one I heard was supposedly the Japanese pressing but I've read that there's was more than one of those for this record. Japan for Europe? Japan for US? Are those different?

3) Any other RCAs with major dropouts?

16. onlyconnect

There are at least two and I prefer the Japan for US.

Tim

17. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I've heard both pressings and found no difference. I was going by my ears, but IIRC, they are also digitally identical.

18. onlyconnect

There may be several variations, I can only speak for the ones I have. They are different. Here's the ReplayGain analysis in Foobar for Watch That Man, Japan for Europe top, Japan for US bottom.

watch-that-man.jpg

Tim

19. queuewindow

onlyconnect, your image is broken

20. onlyconnect

It works here - nothing I can do about it now as it is an attachment.

Anyway, it shows:

Watch that Man

Jpn for Europe Track Gain -2.25 dB Track peak 0.850311
    Jpn for USA Track Gain -4.26 dB Track peak 0.902252

Tim

21. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Since we are discussing every Bowie RCA album other than what the OP wanted 2 years ago (Ziggy), I will say that the WG Aladin Sane is a mighty fine sounding cd.

22. queuewindow

Thanks for that. From reading older threads here on the forum it seems the Japan for US is the more desirable of the two.

Do you know anything about the other RCAs? Ziggy in particular

23. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

with thanks to jh901, it was confirmed here recently that there are two versions of the Japan for US RCA Aladdin Sane. one, manufactured by Denon, is identical to the Japan for Europe disc, the other is different and has CSR Compact Disc embossed in the clear centre hub. this is one of a few titles that really give the vinyl a run for its money.

in response to the drop-out mentioned in Ziggy, this is the case for all but the very earliest vinyl copies. those drop-outs have been an issue since very early on. later CD issues have fixed them digitially but they appear to be inherent in the master tape (they're on the MFSL vinyl).

24. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Okay, thanks for the clarification! The Jpn-for-Europe is jaw-dropping. I have it and am totally happy with it.

If indeed the 2nd Jpn-for-US is even better... wow!

25. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

there are three RCA Ziggy CDs too, the WG, the JPN for US and the R32P JPN for JPN. all sound great, there's no clear "winner" IMO, but they are not from the same source tape.

tape issues i noted:
    Starman - known right channel drop out in intro, the WG and R32P seem to suffer more than the JPN for US. the fade is cleaner on the WG, quite abrupt on the other two.
    It Ain't Easy - some flutter during the intro on the JPN for US.
    Star - some flutter at the end, this is audible on all versions i've heard, analogue or digital.
    Suffragette City - known drop out at "she's alright" on all three.
    Ziggy Stardust - known small drop out at 1.14 on all three.

the R32P is the loudest of the three with some 0dB peaks on Suffragette City. happy to post a comparitive sample if somebody wants to nominate a track?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.