Bowie: Is RCA vinyl the Best Sound we are going to get?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by awizard, Apr 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

And my £1 1980s black label repress LP of Low sounds far better to me than a UK original, or any CD: it's all so confusing, although at least in the UK it seems easier to find ad hoc cheap Bowie vinyl over the years to try.

2. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

I was just wondering. I don't guess anyone knows who actually mastered the various RCA cds. I agree that some of the RCA cds sound much better than others. I wonder if it has more to do with production techniques rather than what tape source was used for them? Along with the RCA cds you already mentioned, Pin Ups is another IMO that sounds fantastic.

3. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Pin Ups is probably the only "classic" Bowie album I couldn't bring myself to compare because I just don't care for the music, so I can't say. :D
    I assume you are talking about the Japan for US RCA and not the german mastering? (I have heard the german and wasn't impressed)

And yes, we don't know who mastered them... Presumably they were transfered flat by a bored employee from whatever source tape was lying near, thus explaining the extremely variable sound quality.

4. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Any thoughts on a 2E/2E Ziggy?

5. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

I have a 12" US RCA "Heroes" promo, sounds huge !
    I think "Fame" is the B side.

6. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

Yes, I was referring to the Japan for US RCA cd. I've only compared it to the US vinyl. The tonality on the US vinyl was a little to bright for me in comparison. I haven't heard the German RCA cd.

And yes regarding the music, it is what it is. It's not as innovative as what came before or after it in Bowie's catalog. When taken on it's own, just The Spiders from Mars rocking out, it's brilliant. I love their versions of "Where Have All The Good Times Gone", "Don't Bring Me Down", "I Wish You Would", "Shapes of Things" and "See Emily Play".

7. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Sad that Pin Ups gets such bad press as I think Bowie/Ronno and Ken Scott finally honed the sound they had been striving for since Ziggy. The band sound on the top of their game. OK so they are covers, but it is what they do with the covers that matter. I don't even think of it as a covers album, it is just the album between AS and DD.

8. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

It was concurrent with Ferry's These Foolish things as far as I can recall. :thumbsup:

9. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Nice combo. That's a good description of how 'Fashion' sounds: huge. 33 1/3 rpm and takes up most of the entire side. I think it's on both sides, I'll check tonite.

10. I have one, and it's all over the map from one song to the next. Some songs sound merely "ok"; other tracks sound downright dull. I can't give specific song titles right now, as it is a while since I gave it a spin (not an enjoyable one as you can imagine).

On the curiosity side, it does have the earlier mix of Starman, with the louder "morse code" sections; but other than that, there is little to get excited about where this cut of Ziggy is concerned.

11. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

I find it hard to believe that any early UK press of Ziggy gives as bad a listening experience as you describe. I've had quite a few copies over the years and (condition aside) they sounded great - never heard one that was dull, or just ok. My current listening copy is a 4E/6E. It's excellent.

12. I'd add the Japanese "Young American" sounds like it was done from a lower gen tape as well and beats every other edition I've heard.

13. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Thank you! Saved me a little cash.

14. I paid money for my 2E/2E; if I thought it was trophy pressing, I would say so! Alas, no... I didn't have much fun writing that post :wtf:

My Bobil/Rasputin 3T/3T copy of Hunky Dory is another matter. That one is great.

15. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

:agree: Funny because I seriously considered including it in my list, but I recalled it has a greater amount of hiss than the others, and thought it *might* be from a second generation copy of the master or something. So I refrained from including it.
    But it is still the best digital version out there (although I have yet to hear the Ryko Au20...).

16. peter

peter Senior Member

My black RCA label re-issue of STS is amazing. Maybe even better than my orange label orig.

Diff. cutting that is for sure. Completely diff. matrixes.

17. Dr. Merkwürdigli

Dr. Merkwürdigli Active Member

I have it and like it very much. Very nice and smooth sounding. It's a bit duller (read not boosted top end) than my UK Green label RCA but IMO far more balanced and natural sounding. My favorite copy of Ziggy.

18. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I have a couple of black RCA label reissues and they indeed sound great. I love how they mention "Manufactured by RCA from master recordings". :)

19. leshafunk

leshafunk Forum Resident

A bit offtopic, but anyway:
    in 80s there were 2 exploitation compilations released by RCA, Fame & Fashion and Golden Years
    I have checked the availability of these compilations and got the impression that Fame & Fashion CD is widely available while Golden Years CD is pretty rare and sought after.
    My quiestion is then: is it correct that Golden Years CD is much more rare than Fame & Fashion CD?

20. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

If you don't like the sound of the orange label UK Ziggy's, try the German - original pressing with the gatefold sleeve. That has quite a different sound to it. If you can find one for a reasonable price it might be quite an ear opener for you.

21. Ere

Ere Senior Member

I listened to the MFSL pressing of Ziggy last night and it sounded quite good, quiet vinyl and good dynamics. Didn't follow the playing directions, or compare it to my RCA LP and CDs but I'd have a hard time finding anything to complain about the MFSL.

22. Well, I never said I had a problem with orange label copies plural, as my 2E/2E is my only point of reference - only that the inconsistency of that particular cut is a nuisance. The 4E/6E that you mentioned earlier could be "the ticket", but I also appreciate your comments on the German press ... duly noted.

23. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

I recently got a 1E/2E RCA UK of "Ziggy.." on pretty thick vinyl, and sonically it sounds fine, but in what way would a 4E/6E be better?

I also have "TMWSTW" on RCA US 'Dynaflex' which also sounds jolly good but I'm sure I read somewhere on the forum that some folks found the UK RCA bass a bit overpowering and therefore preferred the US, and maybe the Mercury pressing, can anyone reiterate? :)

24. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

i've not got a 1E/2E to compare but one noteworthy thing about early UK RCAs of Ziggy is that they don't have the drop-out in Suffragette City and include the "loud mix" of Starman. later UK pressings and all non-UK copies i've heard have the "soft mix" of Starman and the drop-out.

for me the Mercury has always been the most bloated in the bass. Visconti produced and played bass and has gone on record saying that he was deliberately high in the mix. i've uploaded a quick comparison for you here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=16B63XP7 - 30 seconds of Width Of A Circle from the following sources: Mercury US promo / RCA US Dynaflex A1 / RCA UK 1E (first) / RCA UK A3D / RCA Australia A1 / RCA Japan (first).

25. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.