Bowie: Is RCA vinyl the Best Sound we are going to get?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by awizard, Apr 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McLover

McLover Senior Member

The best you'll do is RCA UK Vinyl in better pressings or the RCA CD issues. The Simply Vinyl reissues aren't up to that level, alas.

2. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

Thanks McLover...:) I would assume that US RCA vinyl is better than Simply Vinyl?

3. awizard

awizard Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses. I must say that this was kind of what I was expecting. I always liked the Rykodisc CDs until I improved my vinyl rig and actually began listening to vinyl and CDs side by side that I realized how good my RCA domestic vinyl sounds. The British pressings must be incredible!

4. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I only have Aladdin Sane and it sounds great.
    I also like the SACD of Ziggy so what do I know?:D

5. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

There's a very good possibility that either Bowie or one of his business associates will read this thread and convince him to remaster his catalogue. After all, this forum is very well known among the music industry.

6. JoeV

JoeV Forum Resident

The Bowie recordings are about the only CDs I had that really bothered me but that was until I found the RCAs. :)

I think it had something to do with the fact that when I was first getting into this music as a teenager I used to play my LPs really loud...
    the CDs that were out there from Ryko and EMI were not good for that at all.

I think often the LP connection is important to some listeners if that is the way you first heard certain recordings. With me it tends to remain a kind of internal reference point with Bowie, the Beatles, and Roxy music but I don't think it's really an issue of ultimate quality per se.

Joe

marcfeld69 likes this.
  7. plickfu

plickfu Active Member

Are you being serious or joking? It's hard to tell without a smiley.

Mr Bass likes this.
  8. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

For those who might be interested, I have spent a lot of time and money searching, acquiring and comparing different LP and CD masterings until I was satisfied... So I present you my 2 cents:

My favourite Bowie pressings on CD and/or LP

Space Oddity: the RCA Japan for US CD is very good (never heard an original UK LP)
    TMWSTW: the RCA Japan for US CD is great, the LP is about the same IMO
    Hunky Dory: the Ryko Au20 CD is better than both RCAs IMO, ultimately the LP is best
    Ziggy: Haven't heard the Au20 yet (I have one on the way) but the original UK LP is far better than any CD or SACD; dunno what's wrong with this album in digital...
    Aladdin Sane: the Japan for US RCA CD is phenomenal, I don't see any LP beating it

Station to Station: the German RCA CD is very good, but the LP too
    Low: I find the German RCA CD much better than the original UK LP if you can believe that (I haven't heard the Ryko Au20 CD yet -one is on the way)
    "Heroes": the German RCA CD is to my taste, I haven't found a good sounding LP copy of this yet
    Lodger: the German RCA CD is great (never heard an original UK LP)
    Scary Monsters: I find both RCA CDs to be excellent, the LP is fine too
    Let's Dance: the original Japan or US CD is great (and possibly a flat transfer of the 16/44.1 master)

Heathen: the SACD is much better than the CD
    Reality: the SACD is better than the CD

marcfeld69 likes this.
  9. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Hey Plan 9,
    have you heard the Simply Vinyl of Aladdin Sane?

Cool nickname BTW, did you get it from the movie or from the band?

10. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Never heard the Simply Vinyl, no. :shh: Did you compare it with the RCA CD? I'm curious what someone who has thinks about it.

My nickname comes from the Ed Wood movie. Always been a fan. :D

11. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

No, see that's the thing, I have a few of the old RCA cds but I never had the RCA Aladdin Sane.

Maybe someone who has both can post on how they compare.

12. pdovore

pdovore Forum Resident

Nice summary :righton:

Although I have none of the RCA WG Polygram issues to compare, I am largely satisfied to impressed with the sound of the Denon RCA's ("Aladdin Sane is a Sony pressing) that I own - which is around twelve titles - Especially Heroes and Low.
    I didn't particulalry like the EMI or Ryko reissues, but would be interested in hearing the WG pressings when they "fall into my lap"

13. Funny, I have the UK vinyl and - because it sounds so fantastic - don't see any CD beating it :D

14. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

I just have the UK vinyl of 'Diamond Dogs.' It sounds great. But don't knock the US vinyl, it is in fact pretty damn good. If not quite as good as a UK press.

15. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

Any of the RCA 45 singles are the best sounding period. Some are incredible Heroes, Rebel Rebel. ETC... I luckily still have them all.

16. Dr. Merkwürdigli

Dr. Merkwürdigli Active Member

This is a short summery of my findings comparing vinyl samples to my RCA CDs (posted earlier). See post 12 for samples.

Space Oddity: Germany RCA sounds OK.

The Man Who Sold the World: Germany RCA sounds OK. Slightly bright.

Hunky Dory: Germany RCA sounds OK but has a darker tone and is lacking a bit in punch and detail.

The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars: Germany RCA lacks body. Completely wrong tone compared to the vinyl. The vinyl is a little boomy in the low end but still way more natural sounding.

Aladdin Sane: Germany RCA sounds like it has a smiley faced EQ applied. It sounds a bit heavier in the low end and also a bit brighter. I clearly prefer the vinyl.

Diamond Dogs: Germany RCA sounds muddy. Japan RCA sounds slightly brighter than the vinyl but still quite good. The vinyl has the most balanced sound and is again the winner in my book.

Young Americans: Germany RCA way too bright. UK vinyl sample still a little too bright but way better. The best I have heard so far is the US APL1-0998.

Station to Station: Again the Germany RCA is a bit too bright. Except from this it is quite nice sounding.

Low: Germany RCA is very good.

Heroes: Germany RCA is very good. Japan RCA a bit brighter than vinyl.

Lodger: Germany RCA is a bit brighter than the vinyl.
    Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps): Germany RCA is slightly brighter than the vinyl.

17. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

:D Wow, hang on to that LP! I would love to hear it once.

:agree: I have the Scary Monsters 45, and it sounds incredible. The RCA CD sounds different but just as good IMO.

18. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

:thumbsup: You ought to find yourself the Japan RCA CDs for these titles; they sound significantly better than the German RCAs (except that I am not a fan of the Hunky Dory one).

19. Dr. Merkwürdigli

I have both a very early UK orange vinyl copy and a UK green label RCA international version of this one. I far prefer the later green label to the original pressing for better separation and clarity. The original UK LP sounds kind of tweaked in the low end making it a bit boomy sounding.

GyroSE likes this.
  20. Dr. Merkwürdigli

For Hunky Dory I have a very nice sounding UK LP. Thanks for the heads-up regarding the other CDs. We’ll see what I do. I think maybe vinyl is my safest bet regarding Bowie.

21. motorcitydave

Really. That's interesting. I wouldn't know as I haven't heard the green label.

I don't find the original to be boomy. You have a great system, so it couldn't be that. My system has very tight bass, which to inexperienced listeners, comes off as lack of bass.

22. Dr. Merkwürdigli

Maybe we have different pressings. The early Bowie albums have a long history on the orange label. I don’t have the LP at hand so I can’t give you the matrixes now but I do know it has similar matrixes on both sides and that it has something that looks like a signature in it. I think it’s a very early pressing maybe the very first.

The green label version doesn’t use any of the old stampers. If I remember this correct it has the INTL code in the matrix hence I believe it is a new mastering for this release. Many of the later rereleases use old stampers.

Anyone know the matrix numbers for the original (first press) UK vinyl albums?

23. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

As a precision, it is true that the CDs for these ones sound brighter than the original LPs, but I don't think that detracts for the listening experience. They are different.

Just for you to know where I'm coming from concerning the sound of CD pressings, I usually agree with forum member Jeff Carney and almost always agree with Roland (rjstauber). Both have started a number of threads on mastering comparisons that are required reading for those who search for the best digital versions. :thumbsup:

24. motorcitydave

Yeah maybe. I'll dig mine out and let you know. Soon. Unless someone here beats me to it, which is fine.

25. mr123paul

mr123paul Member

i don't know if the old rca orange uk vinyl is the best we are ever going to get of bowie's catalog, but they're the best that is available now - in most cases (see below).

i have several old copies of hunky dory on rca orange & they still sound damned fine to my ears, certainly compared to the currently available cd versions, even the very first practically worn-out copy that i have ;-)

aladdin sane on vinyl sounds excellent, even with a little distortion in it. young americans sounds excellent on vinyl, though tony visconti's reworking of it a year or two ago is a fine cd. the newer visconti re-workngs of 'david live' & 'stage' sound better than the old vinyl (especially 'stage' which sounded very muddy on the original vinyl, while on 'david live' i heard things that i'd never heard before on the vinyl) and better than any previous cd issues, imo, though i do still love the original vinyl issue of 'david live' - that's such a great, stylish, enigmatic & energetic performance with a fantastic band line-up.

bowie's works - especially the 60's - 70's 'space oddity' through to 'lodger' - is very poorly served on cd, considering his importance as an artist. it is a great shame.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.