Boulez Mahler #8 on Deutsche Grammophon CD BUZZCUT! I'm shocked..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, May 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phlo

Phlo Formerly dave-o

Sounds like our host needs to do a little "regifting". :agree:

2. Claude

Claude Senior Member

The SACD sounds quite different from the Originals CD. Warmer and more transparent.

But it's certainly not a reference recording in terms of sound quality. Labels like Decca or Philips made much better sounding recordings in the 70's.

http://www.sa-cd.net/showreviews/280

3. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

Noted this one, thanks Hans.

My take on some recent Classical CDs
    I have alas noted this trend very recently and haven't bought a DG release in some time. I must say as a collector of early pressings I buy few new discs but look out for recommendations, I know performance is paramount but I like the music to sound good too.

Simon :)

4. Claus

Claus Senior Member

5. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

The SACD is better than the reissues. And the WG pressings are not bad.

I do agree regarding the performances.
    And 'great performance with bad sonics' is the common practice for DG.

6. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

C. Kleiber SACD

Isn't the redbook layer the same as The Originals reissue? Are you referring to the CD layer or the SACD layer?

7. SiriusB

SiriusB New Member

Boulez, who was notorious for being a provocateur in his youth...when classical music was far more 'politicized' than it is today.

Boulez, who today is widely considered, by musicians and listeners alike, to be one of the finest conductors we have.

I recently saw him conduct the Stravy/Carter/Varese program with the Chicago SO at Carnegie Hall. It was fantastic, especially the Varese, which was practically heavy metal.

8. SiriusB

SiriusB New Member

IIRC the Kleiber Beethoven SACD is a stereo remix as well as remaster (as well as a multichannel remix). Very nice presentation of these classic performances on all counts; it's the definitive performance for the 5th, though I prefer Bruno Walter's 7th on Columbia/Sony.

9. SiriusB

SiriusB New Member

It's a good bet, though , that a live Mahler 8th has a dynamic range at a 'prime' listening seat that's in excess of what the KSA LP -- or any LP -- has.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.