Book-Pete Townshend-Who I Am-Harper-October 8, 2012

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by shepherdfan, Apr 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Agree 100% with "kind of dull."

I couldn't believe the amount of space he dedicated to detailing the different apartments he lived in and how they were furnished, etc.

2. music4life

music4life Senior Member

On the 10th anniversary of the book, it will be re-edited to include "newly found" chapters that were thought lost...*sarcasm*

3. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

It is pretty baffling how a man who understands the transcendent power and bliss of rock'nroll better than almost anyone, can be such a complaining curmudgeon as a person.

Bill and DrBeatle like this.
  4. Mikey471

Mikey471 Forum Resident

Got so far in and gave up which is rare for me when reading a book.

5. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

This I can definitely see, but I'm not sure how much of that is just because A) things come across differently in print than they do verbally, and B) what was seen as youthfully rebellious anger and attitude 40 years ago coming from a 30-year old guy is now perceived as a grumpy old man now that he's 70. That being said, he DOES come across as a grouch quite a lot.

Again, I think some of it MAY be down to print not conveying things as well as verbally. Not the only reason, but could be a contributing factor. There were a few laugh out loud moments for me where the humor did shine through, but there were also several bleak passages where it got a bit depressing to read! That's Pete for you!

6. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I think Legal got a hold of the book and edited the life out of it. I refuse to believe that the man who composed Pictures of Lily, Squeeze Box, The Kids Are Alright and I Can See For Miles created such a humorless, lifeless festival of kvetching.
    Get off my lawn now!

DrBeatle likes this.
  7. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

They did do just that...I can't remember where I'd read it, but I recall reading that Pete was not pleased that his publisher insisted on editing his manuscript literally in half, from 1000+ pages down to ~500. Knowing that, it's clear the book is a bit disjointed more down to that than Pete's writing style, which is why I hold out a faint hope that someday the full book will be available.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.