Bob Dylan's "Street Legal" album - Original mix vs. Remix?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OldJohnRobertson, Mar 31, 2008.

1. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

I preferred the remix by a mile but the box set remaster is a major improvement on the original. Still prefer the remix.

2. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Remix for me. The original release never sounded good, imo.

phillyal1, Carserguev and maui jim like this.
  3. Waymore Lonesome

Waymore Lonesome Forum Resident

Listening to the redbook layer version of the 2003 SACD version. I haven't listened to this album in years it used to be my favorite one, it was also the first one I got on vinyl, so in a way it was my first step down the audiophile road. I'm not sure how I feel but listening right now to Is Your Love In Vain does anyone else think his vocal seems way more separated and that this isn't a good thing? He needs to be in the mess a bit I think, I remember booming trumpet and sax on the original album, but maybe I'm imagining things. Enduring all four hundred and eighty seven verses of No Time To Think has perhaps hampered my ability to function. Album more in need of resequencing than remastering.

CBackley likes this.
  4. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

the lp is great. low fidelity and all. real. one of my favorite dylan albums. I can just imagine the band, grouped around a microphone or two or three.....not knowing what they're playing, 1st or 2nd take only....then...done..over with....i would cringe if i had to hear it digitally remastered or whatever...arrgh........guess i'm old, but the LP is the way to go, for me, anyways.

5. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

rod sphere, listen to the Street Legal CD in The Complete Albums box-set. Just listen to it. It's the vinyl from 1978 only fixed. It replaces all the other CD editions. Just listen to it.

6. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

I like the song "Changing Of The Guards."

7. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

ok..i'll give it a try. Thanks.

8. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

I got into Bob relatively late so the remixed CD is the only version I've heard until very recently. I was prompted to get an original CD after reading this thread.

Despite its muddiness I much prefer the original CD over the remix. The original sounds like an album (badly) recorded live in the studio. The remix is very clear but also comparatively sterile, to my ears at least.

QUESTION - What are the differences between the original CD & the CD in the The Complete Albums set?

905 likes this.
  9. mrclick

mrclick Forum Resident

The Simply Vinyl pressing SVLP 197 is the 1999 remix. It is really well mastered and natural sounding. Just right.

Its been interesting hearing some folks having a problem with the SACD mastering of this remix, and others liking it. I haven't heard this record on CD so can't comment, but I believe everyone.

SVLP 197 is the way to go for those who want to hear the remix on LP. Highly recommended.

10. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Does anyone know please whether this version on Amazon is the original mix or the remix?

http://amzn.eu/8qJF4rs

11. I only have the 1999 cd. After reading this thread i have ordered a NM Vinyl copy. Cant find a pre 1999 cd

12. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I just got an original lp and was amazed at how awful it sounded. Borderline unlistenable.

phillyal1 and CBackley like this.
  13. Frittenköter

Frittenköter Forum Resident

that's the one i have and it's the remix. it's the common cd.

OobuJoobu likes this.
  14. Curiosity got the better of me!! Be interesting to hear though!

DTK likes this.
  15. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Thanks, it's a bog standard version I'm after, and after reading many comments about the pros and cons of the original/remix I decided I want to get the remix.

16. Well, my nr mint copy of the 1978 LP arrived today. I can see why some prefer the 1999 remix but i have to say that i have fallen head over heals for the original mix. I like the 1999 cd too, but there is amazing warmth to to the original which is a little lacking on the cd. I am so glad i have both. I feel our host's comments have a huge amount of validity but i certainly dont share his dislike of the 1999 cd. By the way, the LP is really a Nr Mint copy. So often that is not case

17. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

2003 for me. Even over the remastered original from the other year.

18. Richard--W

19. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Steve Howe of Yes counts Street Legal among his top 10 favorite albums.

20. Sprocket Henry

Sprocket Henry Forum Resident

Granted the vocals are better balanced on the original mix, but it's so muddy sounding. That's why I much prefer the '99 mix: to my ears, it sounds so much more full-bodied and brightened up.

21. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

Yeah, it is muddy, isn't it? I have a thing for that album. In all its muddiness and lo-fi turn of the moment record, I have a feeling for it. I have never heard any other mix or etc., than the '78 album. It would certainly change my reference point to it. I remember hearing some of All Things Must Pass, the re-mixed or whatever version that came out a few years ago. And I didn't like it. Could have been emotional or whatever. Yet, I preferred the over-the-top Spectorian production album always. There is part of me or a lot of me or all of me, that likes the original over any after-market blah blah. I wonder what others think.

22. Richard--W

See post #130 above.

ISO: live Bobby Blue Bland circa 1962-63

23. culabula

culabula Unread author.

It’s very difficult. Took me to buy six copies of the CD and one box set (allegedly) containing it before I finally managed to get a pre-1999 copy. Sheesh.

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  24. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

It’s really puzzling. I mean, in 1978 they surely had the ability to make great sounding records, and that is what one would expect from someone of Dylan’s stature. I am often left wondering with the original mix if it was pure laziness or artistic choice haha. We will never know, and I am glad to have both. My go to is the remaster of the original mix on CD from the complete album collection.

I have the original vinyl, the SACD remix, and the new original mix remaster from the box set. To me, the new CD maintains the integrity because it is original mix, but the sound is definitely improved over the original record

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  25. Richard--W

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F6Y3FK...ails?_encoding=UTF8&me=&qid=1525044451&sr=1-1

As discussed a few pages back in this thread, the original 1978 LP mix was remastered for The Complete Albums box-set. It's the LP improved with a few more audible notes at the fade-in and the fade-out. That's the CD you want. It's not the sacd nor the remix, but it's better. Get The Complete Albums box-set to hear Street Legal the way it was meant to be heard. There is also an individual Japanese edition which I will find and link here.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    alchemy likes this.