Bob Dylan's "Street Legal" album - Original mix vs. Remix?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OldJohnRobertson, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

The funniest parts on the original mix is where Dylan's vocal just seemingly custs out and almost disappears lol....so so bad of a mix and recording job. I think I will spin the complete album collection remaster CD tonight after playing the vinyl last night. I played it when I got the box, and as I recall they did a nice job considering what they had to work with.

2. FatherMcKenzie

FatherMcKenzie Forum Resident

Don't know if this helps, solely as a reference, but here is what I have as listed in my collectorz.com app. Am glad to have both.

Bob Dylan - Street~Legal (50:21) REMIX
    01 Changing Of The Guards 07:04
    02 New Pony 04:40
    03 No Time To Think 08:23
    04 Baby Stop Crying 05:21
    05 Is Your Love In Vain? 04:34
    06 Señor (Tales Of Yankee Power) 05:44
    07 True Love Tends To Forget 04:16
    08 We Better Talk This Over 04:04
    09 Where Are You Tonight? (Journey Through Dark Heat) 06:15
    Original Release Date 6/15/1978
    Release Date: 6/1/1999
    Cat. Number CK 65974
    UPC (Barcode) 074646597422
    Packaging Jewel Case
    Sound Stereo

Bob Dylan Revisited The Reissue Series The Limited Edition Hybrid SACD Set Street~Legal (50:21) REMIX
    01 Changing Of The Guards SACD Stereo 07:04
    02 New Pony SACD Stereo 04:40
    03 No Time To Think SACD Stereo 08:23
    04 Baby Stop Crying SACD Stereo 05:21
    05 Is Your Love In Vain? SACD Stereo 04:34
    06 Señor (Tales Of Yankee Power) SACD Stereo 05:44
    07 True Love Tends To Forget SACD Stereo 04:16
    08 We Better Talk This Over SACD Stereo 04:04
    09 Where Are You Tonight? (Journey Through Dark Heat) SACD Stereo 06:15

Bob Dylan The Complete Album Collection Vol. One Street~Legal (49:35) REMASTER
    01 Changing Of The Guards 06:40
    02 New Pony 04:29
    03 No Time To Think 08:20
    04 Baby Stop Crying 05:19
    05 Is Your Love In Vain? 04:32
    06 Señor (Tales of Yankee Power) 05:39
    07 True Love Tends To Forget 04:15
    08 We Better Talk This Over 04:06
    09 Where Are You Tonight? (Journey Through Dark Heat) 06:15

3. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I'm sorry but I must disagree with our beloved moderator on this one. I just spent a grueling 50 minutes with my original vinyl Street Legal last night, and my 40 year opinion is unwavered: this recording is so bad that ANY attempt to improve it just makes it better, by default. Music dropping in and out, inconsistent volumes, muddy and veiled recording and mastering...oh my goodness it's bad. Ok, I liked the vocal clarity and placement on New Pony...but that's it.

No apologies: I like the CD remaster/remix way more.

4. Joey_Corleone

Just revisited the 2013 remaster (original mix) and it is substantially cleaned up from the original vinyl. The blatantly obvious blunders on the vinyl are really not that noticeable. Specifically, the vocal drop outs.

So, if like me you prefer the original mix, go foe the 2013 remaster CD. Considering the less than stellar soirce mix, they did a good job with what they had to work with.

andy75, Maddin61 and Plan9 like this.
  5. Pieter Kozak

Pieter Kozak Well-Known Member

The Don Devito remaster has totally richer and open sound. The Stan Kalina original mix terrible. Compare New Pony to original, Guitar solo and Sax solo sound superb and not muddy like original.

6. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Senior Member

I loved the 1999 remix when it came out. It seemed leaps and bounds better than the original. I think I now prefer the 2013 remaster.....it's a tough call. It'such a strange/brilliant album, its hard to pin down and determine which version is "best".

Adamski777, streetlegal and duggan like this.
  7. Anton888

Anton888 Forum Resident

If you are accustomed to the sound of the original 1978 record, go for the remastered 1978 version on CD.
    If, on the other hand, you aim for sound quality, and want to hear everything that is "there", buy the remix
    from 1999.

8. Frank205

Frank205 Forum Resident

Can some tell me I have simple vinyl Street legal is is that the original mix from 78 or new remix because it sounds much better than my Columbia 360 CD

9. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

I always thought this is the one album Bob should have been backed by Steely Dan.

Quasimodo likes this.
  10. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

I did a near-180 on SL after hearing the 1999 remaster. Hated the album when it came out, but now consider it very solid 2nd-tier Dylan.

11. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Never! Heaven forbid. What a terrible idea.

Dylan had toured with that band in Japan and Australia before he recorded Street Legal with them. I saw them play after they had recorded. They were a stunning band. Just amazing. They helped breathe life into Dylan's new songs and into the new arrangements of the old songs. Their sound and style was unique and something very special. Unforgettable.

Next Big Thing likes this.
  12. culabula

culabula Unread author.

It will be great craic altogether if, as the current vogue demands, they reissue this on vinyl -looking forward to see if we get yet another, further, different, remaster with remixes of the remixes, not to mention just what length of Changing of the Guards (Again) is featured.

13. Frank205

Frank205 Forum Resident

45rpm mofi street leagal i will buy dylan most sexiest album

14. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

I like the remix 1999 better but I also like having the original vinyl pressing. One favorite albums from Bob.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  15. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I like original mixes for this and most everything else.

16. Joey_Corleone

Original mix, 2013 remaster is my choice. The original vinyl is almost laughably bad at times. Specifically, blatant dropouts and the really muddy sound. It doesn't sound like it is that way by artistic design either. To me, it sounds like a lazy effort and careless. The 2013 remaster maintains the original mix but does a good job with some of the other bad stuff without changing the feel.

phillyal1 likes this.
  17. Frank205

Frank205 Forum Resident

Original Mix is awful 99 mix is much more enjoyable listen. love to see it on 45rpm mofi

18. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

I'm with many of you -- the remix is the only way I can even bear to listen to this album.

phillyal1 likes this.
  19. Frank205

Frank205 Forum Resident

Lets hope mate have all mofi lps best lps of dylan i have heard. street legal. slow train coming. infidels would be nice

20. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

If MFSL decides to work up STREET LEGAL I hope they will enable Steve Hoffman to do it.

Maddin61 and Favre508 like this.
  21. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Strangely this was my first Dylan LP. I think I just discovered him around then and grabbed the first one in the shop. I still own both CDs and play them equally.

The original's mix is so muddy you feel it almost has to be deliberate, done that way to force extra concentration from the listener, whilst the newer model lets the songs breathe a little more and allows you to pick up more on the what the band are playing without having to burrow into the sound to find the vocals.

Philip

22. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

I have all the Street Legals...I love 'em all, because they're Street Legal.

PJayBe likes this.
  23. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

Someone recently gave me an original vinyl version of this album. I have a CD version dated 1999, which is a remix of the original. I like the separation and clarity of the newer CD version, but find it a bit harsh in comparison to the vinyl.

I searched the site and didn't find any significant discussion of the album. Anyone have any thoughts on vinyl vs CD and original vs remix?

24. Maddin61

Maddin61 Forum Resident

My vote goes for the original mix.
    Both remixes and remaster are compressed and harsh to my ears. Yes, you can make out the instruments better.

The digital version to get is the one included in the "Complete Album Collection". It is remastered but based on the first mix. The dynamic range is *far* better than those on the remixes 10 years ago.

I suppose some discussion about Street Legal is included in the CAC-thread.

Richard--W likes this.
  25. canyelles

canyelles Forum Resident