Bob Dylan's "Street Legal" album - Original mix vs. Remix?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OldJohnRobertson, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Paul W

Paul W Senior Member

I have the original vinyl, the original CD release and the last remix/remaster. IMO, the first two are unlistenable, the latter is very good AND it conveys all of the emotion that Mr. D is trying to convey.

Paul

Takehaniyasubiko and phillyal1 like this.
  2. fadingcaptain

fadingcaptain Active Member

I concur. Street Legal was recorded at Dylan's rehearsal space, essentially live, but the original mix contained none of the warmth or richness of that band. The songs are wonderful, but you have to fight to get through the sonic murk.

With all due respect, I don't know what Steve's thinking here.

Takehaniyasubiko and SteveM like this.
  3. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

It could be his system. "Muddy" sounding discs sometimes get a new lease on life on a higher end system.

I used to like the remix and sold off my original domestic pressing. I bought the Japan 32DP copy in Tokyo last summer (along with a bunch of other Dylan discs I found on the shelf) and now notice that the original has the "groove". The remix has lost this.

Cracklebarrel likes this.
  4. fadingcaptain

fadingcaptain Active Member

Is there a system on earth on which the original mix of "New Pony" would be considered anything but dead and lifeless? I'm coming over Steve's. I'll pay for the pizza. Happily. :)

majorlance likes this.
  5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

You're invited.

Folks, if you have a Parametric, try this as a general rule for the original mix:

+2@40 cycles
    +2@70 cycles
    +2@6k
    +2@8k
    +1@14k

Just off the top of my head, try it, might help.

6. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

Not possible. I just listened to my copy yesterday... Trust me, I heard music coming out of my speakers.

7. OldJohnRobertson

OldJohnRobertson Martyr for Even Less Thread Starter

:laugh: We need more people with that attitude around here!

AlienRendel likes this.
  8. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

I was thrilled with the 1999 remix when I first heard it as I knew the album was capable of sounding better than it did in 78 (Senor on Biograph and Changing... on Gr Hits Vol 3 were proof of that)

I'm happy with my 99 version!:righton: :wave:

notgoblin likes this.
  9. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

April Fools! Things will be back to normal tomorrow....:D

10. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

Finally got around to tracking down this fabulous album on vinyl, and I'm so accustomed to the CD remix that when I spin the record, it sounds like I'm listening from a few towns over on a foggy night.

Was this remix ever pressed on wax? Or am I best off to tweak some system settings to cut through the murk on the original vinyl pressing?

phillyal1 and JimC like this.
  11. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Having the original mix on LP and the 1999 'remix' CD, I don't think the differences are that drastic (other than the extra bit in "Changing Of The Guard"). I heard the original mix first...the 1999 mix might sound a bit 'clearer' -even my wife who is just about deaf in one ear now and generally doesn't notice these kinds of sonic nuances to begin with, noticed the difference between the two versions. But if yer accustomed to the 1978 original mix it's easy to see how the 1999 mix can sound 'wrong'. Sort of like the remix of Lennon's Mind Games LP in that regard IMO. But then Street Legal is another album where it's pretty hard for me to be objective about:laugh:, it's always been one of my favourite Bobalbums.

As others in this discussion have pointed out, given the way/methodology the album was recorded in the first place -a big band playing live in a rehearsal studio using a mobile truck- it's no surprise the thing ended up sounding the way it did. It is what it is...it wouldn't be Street Legal if it sounded like Gaucho...

12. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I prefer the remix, which is very unusual for me, especially when it concerns a much-loved album.

SteveM likes this.
  13. All versions sound pretty bad to me but I'd definitely go with the 1998 remixed CD (not the current 2003 Hybrid SACD which has the original mix) as it lifts the mirk off the sound and opens the mix up so you can actually hear everything. The bigger problem for me is that hearing more only reveals how sloppy the whole album was, unrehearsed and all. Dylan's voice was also pretty shot at this point (half-way through the marathon 78 world tour) and the remix suppresses the vocal a little hear and there. That's no bad thing either. He should have taken his time and attempted more takes but then being Dylan, the album wouldn't have happened at all.

The original LP and CD are wretched.

phillyal1 likes this.
  14. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

The SACD hybrid is the remix.

Shak Cohen and Plan9 like this.
  15. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

The original was muck. The 1999 remix was a breath of fresh air, and made this album listenable, to me.

SteveM, phillyal1, Carserguev and 2 others like this.
  16. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

There's a bit of revisionism going on with this album, I'll explain why. To clear things up, there are ONLY 2 MIXES OF THIS ALBUM.

1. 1978 mix

2. 1999 mix

The 1978 mix was obviously first on the LP & then made it to cd from the LP cutting master.

The 1999 mix was re-done by Don DeVito and released on cd.

The 2003 SACD was a remaster based on the 1999 remix.

The more recent cd remaster (from the Album Collection box set and Japanese BluSpec2) is from the 1978 mix, but remastered from what I assume is the master tape, NOT the LP cutting master used on the original cd.

I think it's currently a bit "fashionable" to say that the 1978 mix was ok all along. I disagree - the '78 mix wasn't done properly (hence why Don DeVito ended up remixing it - and a fine job he did too), and the 1999 mix is the one to get.

This remains the only Bob Dylan album to ever be remixed in it's entirety for a stand-alone re-release.

alchemy, notgoblin, Runicen and 7 others like this.
  17. Thanks for the correction. I'll gladly accept your word on this as I haven't got the hybrid 2003 remaster but it does make me wonder whether some people listen with their ears or their feet. I've seen comments elsewhere (Amazon among other places) where people complain that the later CD and therefore by default the complete albums set contain the "original" and inferior Street Legal.

18. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

That's correct. See my message above - the 'latest' in-print version of the album is a remaster of the (IMO inferior) 1978 mix.

19. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

According to both Discogs and Searching for a gem website, the Simply Vinyl release of Street Legal in 2000 (and reissue 2010) is the 1999 remix on vinyl. But I have not heard these reissues myself. I am not 100 percent convinced that this is the case, see discussion: http://expectingrain.com/discussion...d=428e1a6b59ac8206dbaafd123ad2f6b1&view=print

I would really like to have a vinyl copy of the remixed version, so if anyone could confirm that these pressings are indeed that, the hunt for a copy could begin...

20. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

What brought this thread back from the dead? GowG? Thanks, I'll go play this album today (the original, not the remix).

Subliminal Kid, 905 and duggan like this.
  21. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

Street Legal is a personal Dylan favourite. Have the original vinyl and three different versions on CD.

My favourite versions are the original LP and the recent one included in the "Complete Album Collection" box.

IMO his vocals sounds strange on the 1999 remix, but I do like the longer version of "Changing of the Guards".

Mr. H likes this.
  22. GowG

GowG Forum Resident

I certainly wasn't the one who ressurected this thread however I absolutely agree with your preference of the original mix. Street-legal contains three of my (many) Dylan's favourites (namely Seňor, Changing of the Guards and especially Is your love in vain?). And though the original mix is somewhat awkward, rough and muddy sounding, it's still better than the remix, which sounds cold and not really like something from late 70s.

duggan and andy75 like this.
  23. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Are the people who are saying they don't like the "1999 mix" actually listening to it or the 2003 SACD remaster?

The pre-2003 cd (i.e. Don DeVito's 1999 remix before it was remastered) is warm & natural sounding. I haven't heard the 2003 remaster lately, but I recall it being brighter & perhaps a bit more "sterile" sounding.

24. Jeffczar

Jeffczar Well-Known Member

Far be it for me to disagree with our host and for the most part I agree with him. I just played this album the other night and I too thought the remix was superior but I pulled out my original CD to hear Senior and No Time To Think (one of the great under rated Dylan songs) and realize now that the remix is just too compressed in places and found I preferred the original in spite of its glaring flaws. Seems to me an ideal remix would fall somewhere between the two. Perhaps Steve could beg, bow wow, or steal a way to do this album and give us Street Legal the way it should be !

Geordiepete likes this.
  25. Jeffczar

Jeffczar Well-Known Member

Oh Steve...The original Days Of Future Passed mix, although murky, has the proper vocal mix on Evening Time To Get Away and there are so many parts of the remix where the vocal arrangement is significantly different. I agree sonically the remix is far superior but boy I always miss those original vocal mixes. Too bad the original is gone forever. This has been my favorite album of all time since I first heard it at age 13. I always wondered if there was a 7.5ips open feel version out there. That may be the best original if it indeed exists..........But we decide which is right ! ( I know I'm a nerd !)

phillyal1 likes this.