Bob Dylan's "Street Legal" album - Original mix vs. Remix?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OldJohnRobertson, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Takehaniyasubiko

Takehaniyasubiko Forum Resident

The only legit answer to this question is: get both.

2. bgiliberti

bgiliberti Will You Be My Neighbor?

You should check out Blond on Blonde.

3. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

That was my favourite for many years, but SL overtook it.

Alfie Noakes likes this.
  4. GerryO

GerryO Senior Member

Had never heard the album before, just listened to the 1996 R.S.A. made CD I picked up yesterday and am very happy with it!

[​IMG]

5. bgiliberti

What's RSA?

GerryO and Detroit Rock Citizen like this.
  6. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Republic of South Africa?

GerryO and bgiliberti like this.
  7. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Would the moderator please reconfigure the initial post as a poll?

8. bgiliberti

After 15 years, 257 replies, and 32,335 views, I think all the people who care to vote have fully exercised their franchise.

9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

the original...

E_Braunn_Fan, Fred1 and joelee like this.
  10. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

:righton:

11. bgiliberti

I keep forgetting that Rainy Day Women, Visions of Johanna, I Want You, Memphis Blues Again, One of Us Most Know, Absolutely Sweet Marie , and Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands among others can’t hold a candle to the iconic masterpieces on Street Legal.

12. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

It's a way of quantifying not of exercising.

No I will not be your neighbor.

bgiliberti likes this.
  13. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Changing Of The Guard has a claim to be his greatest ever song. I know some who argue the same case for Journey Through Dark Heat.

No Time To Think may be his greatest deep cut.

True Love Tends To Forget is one of his most moving songs and one of his finest vocal performances (even though his voice was showing signs of 'roadwear' by this point).

Senor (Tales of Yankee Power) is magnificent songwriting, by anyone's standards.

The material on SL is incredibly strong. The original mix did it no favours, but the remix revealed the album for what it was all along: one of its creator's high points.

Alfie Noakes, nsm, Floater and 2 others like this.
  14. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

I bought a US pressing of Street Legal when it first came out. I didn't warm to the album, one of the few Dylan's that don't appeal. Many years after CDs came out I bought a copy, hoping that listening to the CD would provide a better listening experience and help me be able to relate to the album more. It didn't (and there have been quite a few Dylan albums I didn't get into at first, and after many years and many tries something clicked and I grew to love the albums).

Many years pass, and I read on these forums how bad the original mix on the LP and CD are, and how the remixed 1999 version is so much superior. OK I thought, the remix might bring it to light in a way that helps me relate to the album. It didn't. I know there are some very good tracks on the album, but it's still one I can't get into. I live in hope that there will be another remix that does some magic to my ears.

15. bgiliberti

Just to be clear, I play Street Legal a lot. Changing of the Guards is right up there with the best, I totally agree. You don’t mention another song I really like on that album, Is Your Love in Vain? I enjoy the way he sings it in this sort of self-consciously melodramatic way [“I will fall in loooove with you”; “I must have sahhhlitude”]. I prefer the remix to the original mix.

16. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I like IYLIV, even though I know I shouldn't! :)

bgiliberti likes this.
  17. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Have there ever been outakes from these sessions released in the wild?

18. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I’m not aware of any, though they must exist (and Clinton Heylin must have heard them). I’m sure they include Walk Out In The Rain.

19. NeilB

NeilB Well-Known Member

If anyone wants the Columbia box version on vinyl, it was part of the ‘Dylan Vinyl’ collection from De Agostini a few years ago. It’s available individually here:
    Dylan Vinyl - The Definitive Collection
    Issue 19 - Street-Legal

They’re on 180g and SL sounds fabulous!

Geordiepete likes this.
  20. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Just revising this thread following on from the new Budokan thread. Where is the tower in this photo?

Also the Japanese blu spec 2 mini sleeve reissue can it be confirmed it is the Albums box set version?

21. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

Newport, Rhode Island - Newport Tower (Rhode Island) - Wikipedia

I suspect it's a reference to the Newport Folk Festival. Joan Baez probably thinks it has something to do with her and/or her relationship with Dylan and/or the beginnings of the 1960s protest movement(s). I think it's probably just a reference to the beginning of Bob Dylan's popularity.

Flaming Torch likes this.
  22. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Thanks for the reply and the link.

misterjones likes this.