BMG's Yourmusic.com

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Impulse329, Nov 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

BTW, when I was looking through yourmusic.com's website, I noticed the images of some albums, such as Joe Satriani's "Engines of Creation" or Lee Ann Womack's "Greatest Hits", belong to the SACD version of the album. I have fired an e-mail to yourmusic.com and ask them whether the SACD versions of these albums are available for $4.99/$5.99.

I will keep you guys updated.

2. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

I went to link into the $4.99 sale (from page 2 of this thread) and the link does not work anymore.
    When I try to send an email to them I get a dead page.
    Anyone have another link?
    Thanks!

yes - i've deleted my cookies and cleared my cache...

3. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Same here. I guess that they didn't have the same run on the Jayhawks as they did for the Faces box set! :)

4. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

FYI I am still a member of Columbia House (but infrequently order). I mention this solely because the new mailing had 2 pages of items on the RCA/BMG family of labels (including Arista and Sanctuary for $2.99 plus shipping. Most noteworthy is the fact that these items were listed as "going going gone".

Way back when, the Columbia club did not carry any RCA/BMG product and the opposite was true in the RCA/BMG club with respect to any Columbia/Epic artists.

My question is whether anyone has heard of any re-starting of the CD club cold war. It would make no sense given the current state of the industry; on the other hand if the industry acted with common sense it wouldn't be in its current state.

Thanks in advance.

5. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

No chance of that these days as BMG and Sony completed their merger in the fourth quarter. They are now the same company - Sony BMG Music Entertainment

Better take advantage of these low prices before the suits there figure out there is no competition now and raise prices..... :(

6. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

FYI: I jsut got my Bob Fylan 16 SACD Limited Edition box set. I ordered last Thursday.

-Tom

7. Seth

Seth Forum Resident

They just got Marvin Gaye collection on SACD $5.99 shipped

8. hamburgerpimp

hamburgerpimp New Member

Tom, what's the barcode situation on that one, BMG or legit?

9. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Good to know, but I'm not sure if Sony even owns Columbia House any longer. I thought they may actually be fully or partly owned by Time Warner now.

10. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I bet they have the standard CDs of those titles. The Engines of Creation SACD is a single-layer disc, and if that's the only version they had, they would probably get loads of returns from people expecting to receive the CD.

They also show the album covers for the MFSL hybrid SACDs of an Aimee Mann title and Isaac Hayes Hot Buttered Soul. However, the record labels and release dates correspond to those of the standard CDs. I'm sure you wouldn't get the MFSL disc for $4.99 or $5.99.

11. CT Dave

CT Dave Senior Member

Columbia House is definitely on life support. They rarely update their website, they get fewer new titles, and since they no longer carry titles from EMI/Capitol or Universal, they just can't compete with BMG. Remember when Columbia House used to put one of their "15 CDs For A Penny" ad in almost every issue of "TV Guide"? Don't see too many of those ads anymore. Columbia House tends to focus all their advertising on their DVD club. I get about three offers a month to join the DVD club in my mailbox. :realmad:

I predict that Sony/BMG will shift all the music club business to BMG, and leave Columbia House as a DVD club, since that end of their business seems to be doing quite well.

12. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

I was under the impression that Your Music had the same catalog as BMG but that appears not necessarily true. I have been on a classical music kick recently but have had a hard time finding what I want in BMG. Example: 17 Chopin selections in BMG if you search by composer. Today I went to Your Music. Whoa! 410 Chopin selections!

I was interested in the Chopin Ballades SACD RCA Living Stereo. Not available as a free joining up selection at BMG but available for $4.99 at Your Music.

Another thing is that my first Your Music selection arrived 4 days after shipping. With BMG, the wait is easily two weeks.

I am loving Your Music.

13. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

Not to belabor the point but...

Corelli at BMG-no composer matches
    Corelli at Your Music-61 matches.

14. Stateless

Stateless New Member

Man I'm loving this sight. :agree: I just ordered a bunch of discs from 50's artists that I always wanted to pick up but never did. Just can beat the price. Check it out...all these titles for 40 bucks....

Elvis Presley-Golden Records 1
    Elvis Presley-Golden Records 2 (50,000,000 Fans....)
    Chuck Berry-Anthology 2CD's
    Buddy Holly-Greatest Hits
    Little Richard-Georgia Peach (Best Of-25 Tracks)
    Jerry Lee Lewis-18 Greatest Hits (Rhino)
    Roy Orbison-16 Greatest Hits (Monument)

Very cool. :cool:

15. kjd

kjd New Member

Taxman, I just tried the Chopin search and only got 74 selections. I'm trying to find the SACD you mention above.

Are you on the $5.99 plan or the $4.99 plan? I'm on the $4.99 plan and wonder if there are different selections for each plan. Hmmm.

BTW, the link provided on page 2 of this thread no longer takes you to the $4.99 plan. I tried it on a computer that has never been to the site before. I did email them and ask for the $4.99 plan and they responded very quickly and set me up.

16. kjd

kjd New Member

Interesting, I get 0 matches when I search for Corelli the composer using the "advanced search" function. I get the same 61 when using the input boxes at the top of the page.

I tried the Chopin search using the input boxes at the top of page and got 410 matches.

The "advanced search" function is not really that advanced!!!

17. antoniost

antoniost New Member

Same problem here, any ideas?

18. kjd

kjd New Member

The link works fine for me. If it comes up as 5.99, then send an email to:

[email protected]

and tell them you would like the 4.99 deal. You will have to sign up first so they have your info.

19. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

See post #140... :thumbsup:

20. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I really wonder how much these discs cost BMG that they can make a profit selling them at $4.99 per. They obviously deal in huge volumes, and there is little overhead involved with yourmusic.com since there are no mailings involved. Still, it's amazing that they can turn a nice profit at $4.99 a disc. Of course, they are banking on people loading up their carts with $4.99 discs as well as two-disc sets and box sets rather than people being patient and taking just one $4.99 disc per month.

21. antoniost

antoniost New Member

I signed up at $5.99 and emailed them. I will post when I get a reply, thanks.

22. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

NO idea. The code
    8 2796-90615-6 5

The 8 at the begining and the 5 at the end are small.

-Tom

23. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

24. BradOlson

25. BradOlson

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.