Blur Catalogue Currently Being Remastered At Abbey Road

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jl151080, Mar 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

You are right..I canceled my order and went with amazon uk.

2. Aghast of Ithaca

Aghast of Ithaca Forum Resident

3. smartiepants

smartiepants Senior Member

ordered the vinyl box set, it will sit nice next to my Oasis box set as long as they don't fall out!!

bit disappointed that there isn't the quantity of songs that are available on the CD set, It would have been nice if there was a download code for all of the tracks on that

4. Geoff

Geoff Senior Member

I think it's money grabbing really, trying to sell both boxes to the fans. Unfortunately, for this band, I am unable to resist...

5. smartiepants

smartiepants Senior Member

well I have resisted buying both, just the vinyl for me can't understand the need for a download code when you have a set of CDs to rip!!

6. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Just pre-ordered from Amazon.uk, nice price, works out to around US$160 which I think beats any other way of ordering. Tempted just to order the first five albums from Amazon.ca but then they add 13% tax...so really from the UK I'm getting the other albums/material for free above that.

Also added in the upcoming Beggars Banquet 2LP pressing of The Charlatans "Tellin' Stories" - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007RTMCJE/ - around US$26

7. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

There are hundreds of reissues every year that are offered on both vinyl and CD. I'd like to have the vinyl set, but, so far, I have been able to resist. I think the CD set will be my one stop-shop for this one.

8. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

9. Shadderz

Shadderz Forum Resident

Got to order at that price, its £75 cheaper than HMV (£195) and cheaper than the CD box which is £128. Bargain really considering the prices of the individual LPS.

10. Geoff

Geoff Senior Member

Hmm... Not sure that's what I wanted to hear. Ever more curious to hear how they sound though.

Issuing both is fine, it's being forced to buy the CD box for the non-album tracks which is annoying. If they came with the vinyl box (presumably as CDs) I'd have no need to buy the CD box...

11. Amazon.co.uk's pre-order price for the LP box set is £120.37 or $194.04 CDN. That works out to £100 or about $161.00 Canadian after the VAT is removed, during checkout.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blur-21-Vin...=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1337625087&sr=1-2

Amazon.ca's pre-order price for the LP box set is $202.50 CDN and no cost for shipping.

http://www.amazon.ca/Blur-21-Collec...=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1337624626&sr=1-1

Amazon.co.uk's pre-order price for the 18CD/3 DVD/1 7 inch box set is £133.07 or $214.51 CDN.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blur-21/dp/B007SAKSF2/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1337625235&sr=1-1

Amazon.ca's pre-order price for the 18 CD/3 DVD/1 7 inch box set is $191.93 CDN.

http://www.amazon.ca/Blur-21-Collec...=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1337625042&sr=1-2

Both sets of above prices beat amazon. com which has the LP box set at $215.11 and the CD/DVD box at $246.14.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=popular&field-keywords=blur+21

Amazon.de has the CD/DVD box set at 162,99 Euros or about $212.50 CDN.

http://www.amazon.de/Blur-21-Box/dp/B007SAKSF2/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1337625695&sr=1-1

12. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

All amazon.co.uk prices will have VAT removed at checkout, which means the deluxe CD box will be about 103 pounds shipped for N. American buyers.

13. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

They will remove VAT, works out to around $160 Canadian ordering from Amazon UK to Canada. But they'll likely add $5 dutry + 13% duty on the conversion which will work out to around $185~$190 CDN.

I'm ordering mine to a friend's house in Buffalo, no duty will be added so UK is the best bet for me and for anyone in USA or Canada with a US shipping option.

14. Who will add these extra charges? Amazon U.K. or Canada Customs And Excise? I'm guessing the 13% you refer to is the 5% GST and your province's 8% PST (provincial sales tax)?

If I order any big ticket items and large sized items such as an LP box set, the package could be intercepted by Canada Customs And Excise. Last time that happened to me was in the fall of 2010 when I ordered the Rolling Stones - 1964-1969 DECCA Years LP box set from Amazon Germany. I was charged the $5. handling fee that Canada Customs And Excise charges for parcel interceptions and 5% GST on the cost of the box set. There is no provincial sales tax in Alberta.
    :cool: :thumbsup:

However, do remember, that even if your LP box set is interrupted your price will still be less than Amazon.ca ($202.50) or Amazon.com ($215.11).

15. tightplatonic

tightplatonic Forum Resident

interesting that they only remastered the first 5 albums, I guess they felt 13 and think tank were good enough as is, which is a good sign that they're not remastering for the sake of it.

16. Geoff

Geoff Senior Member

Or perhaps that they wanted the earlier albums to be as loud as the later ones...?

Worried!

17. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Darn, me too. :cry:

18. clairehuxtable

clairehuxtable Forum Resident

I never get charged duty/handling charges when ordering from amazon.uk (which is about once a week) even if the cost is over $20 CDN - for small packages that is.

Everytime that I've ordered a big box set (Toscanini, Miles Davis come to mind) it gets shipped via a different methold (UPS?) and I end up paying at least an extra $25. In the case of the Miles Davis, there was a problem and I had to send it back (i.e. go to the post office and spent about $80 to return it to the UK and wait for receipt confirmation before being refunded the return postage). Then when I got the replacement copy, got charged another $25 for duty.

I would recommend ordering big box sets from amazon.ca (for Canadians) if savings are just in the $10 - $20 range, based on my experiences.

19. tightplatonic

tightplatonic Forum Resident

thanks for the info Claire, might just order from amazon.ca instead now, although still might be cheaper from amazon.uk

as for the mastering, I think 13 and think tank and much better than the earlier albums. The early albums are all quite bright to my ears, so I think they made the right choice

20. Beholdentonoone

Beholdentonoone Forum Resident

You also may want to check Amazon France. Shipping to the States was approx $13...very reasonable for a box like this.

http://www.amazon.fr/Blur-21/dp/B007SAKSF2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337996301&sr=8-1

Without VAT and WITH shipping my costs are $166.73 (and may go lower if the euro keeps dropping before the release date). I'm sure I'll be paying a $6 or so credit card fee so let's say total of $172 or so. I'd be over $200 if ordering from Amazon Canada + Shipping to the states.

21. You can't brickwall an LP can you? I'm leaning towards the LP box set, or possibly just 3 or 4 of the LPs/

22. What is the deal with your credit card fee?

Amazon France's pre-order price before VAT removal on the Blur LP box set is €147.91 or a £118.19 or $190.61 CDN.

http://www.amazon.fr/Intégrale-7-al...=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1338039630&sr=1-3

After VAT is removed my price with shipping to Canada will be €134.57 or a £l07.54 or $173.41 CDN.

If Customs and Excise intercepts the LP box, the total cost is $173.41 + $5 (handling fee) + $8.68 (Federal Good and Services tax) = $187.09 or lower if the Euro weekens by July and the Canadian Dollar goes up. The Canadian Dollar was around 97¢ U.S. yesterday.

Wonder why the $20. difference between the cost and shipping to Canada vs the U.S. Doesn't really mattter. The Amazon France price after VAT £l07.54, doesn't beat the Amazon U.K. price of about £l00.

23. jedilips00

jedilips00 non-exist-ent

Is there a difference in the vinyl box and individual titles? I can save about $20 US by getting the titles individually... If it's just an outer box, then I don't care, but I didn't want to miss out on a bonus disc or 7"

24. Beholdentonoone

Beholdentonoone Forum Resident

I find whenever I order from an overseas vendor both Mastercard and AMEX tack on a "foreign transaction fee" the bastards...

My Amazon France post was in reference to the CD box set which is still about a $20 or more savings for me here in the states...sorry for the confusion on that one.

25. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Yes, Ontario HST. (Although it's not really harmonized, just a money grab)

Yeah that's why I'm ordering it to the US, never had a single item be charged duty so I order all my box sets there, Genesis SACD's, Pearl Jam box sets (not worth it - loudness wars victims), et cetera.

I rarely get charged on small packages either, but this will be a biggie. I did get dinged once ordering 3 CD's from Amazon UK at the same time, pisser.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.