Blur Catalogue Currently Being Remastered At Abbey Road

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jl151080, Mar 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alugjk

alugjk Senior Member

That's great news about the DVDs!

I was hopeful that this would see a US release since most of their stuff has in the past (but now that I think about it, the singles box set was not released here).

Oh well, I've already pre-ordered it anyway! I think I am going to get the vinyl set as well, since they will be double LP sets with (hopefully) better sound than the original single lps that I have.

It's a good time to be a Blur fan! :righton:

-George

2. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

So you think the old records don't sound good? Couldn't confirm that for "Rubbish" and "Park". "Blur"" is the big exception....don't know why they released it as single album at all. I guess the double record was limited or something like that.

3. Neonbeam

Since we're at it: Does anyone know how many single and double albums were pressed in 1997? That's a question NOBODY has been able to answer. Yet...

4. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Any word on whether the LP's will be available seperately. The only ones I'm really interested in are the Modern Life/Parklife/Great Escape trio....they kind of lost me after that and I'd probably never spin the later records.

edit: nevermind...should've clicked on the link first. I'm an idiot.

5. mark kirk

mark kirk Forum Resident

I pre-ordered the box set yesterday morning from amazon.uk and got it for £100.31... I don't know how that happened, but I'm certainly not going to complain.

6. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

Thanks for the tip. Beats what I had it pre-ordered at Sendit for by about $20 CDN.

7. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

I just try to order this but the price is back to UK pounds 120 , shame

8. Mistermono

That was the price when I ordered. The price comes down for North American customers when the VAT is removed at checkout. Don't know if VAT comes off for EU buyers or not.

9. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

Aha, thanks for that :righton:

10. Mistermono

Now up at amazon.ca for around $330 CDN (so twice what Canadians can get it for via amazon.co.uk).

11. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

12. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I've got respect for Blur but I've never really gone very deep into their music, so this box tempted me to pre-order. They really seem to have done a committed job on it: remasters of every album with bonus discs + four hours of rare tracks (18 CDs in total) + 3 DVDs. It's expensive, sure, but unless they've really messed up the remastering this should be decent value for money.

Looking forward to it.

13. maxinquaye

maxinquaye Forum Resident

I you haven't delved into their B-Sides, you're in for a treat.

Blur's B-sides (especially their earlier ones) were brilliant.

Of course, the albums are pretty great too.

14. I want the CD boxed set. I started to collect the Japanese Mini Lp discs but they are pretty expensive. Fingers crossed that the mastering doesn't disappoint because both the vinyl and CD packages look well done.

15. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

I live in the US and just preorded my cd set today for $188.62. on amazon.ca..Is there a better price out there for those of us living in the states? Amazon.com is selling it for $245.00..

16. Colin Allstations

Colin Allstations Forum Resident

That's a real shame if Colours is left off. I've got it on mp3, but more people should have the opportunity to hear it.

17. spintheblack72

spintheblack72 Forum Resident

Do we know if the vinyl's will be analogue masters or will this be like the recent PF reissues?

Vinyl set £120 on Amazon, pre-ordered it but can easily cancel as it's not out till 30th July.

18. Aghast of Ithaca

Aghast of Ithaca Forum Resident

Is 21 discs a record for a box set by a British band? Has anybody ever released a bigger one?

19. Geoff

Geoff Senior Member

Couldn't resist the vinyl box. Pre-ordered from Amazon UK. £120 becomes £100.31 when you live outside the UK/EU and don't have to pay VAT. Shipping was £3.58, so I'm pretty damn happy with the price. I just hope to hell the mastering is good on these...

EDIT: Damn tempted by the 21 disc box as well. Argh! I always regretted selling my Ten Year anniversary singles box...

20. jsb!

jsb! Forum Resident

As others have pointed out, Amazon uk has each set is about £100 after VAT is removed (for non-UK people). That should work out cheaper than amazon Canada - & certainly the US store...

21. Geoff

Geoff Senior Member

Just broke down, cancelled the existing vinyl box order and pre-ordered both the vinyl and the 21CD box. Curses! Those new speakers are getting further and further away...

22. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

oh, happened to me several times..delayed hardware purchases because there was always a tempting CD/Lp deal. Don't worry; you'll be able to get excellent speakers in the future too. The Blur boxes, I don't know how long they'll stay in print and the price may increase anytime.

23. Geoff

Geoff Senior Member

Yup that's what I figured. I really want all the B-sides again (sold the Ten Years box not long after I bought it due to being flat broke as a student). I'll be gutted if they've been brickwalled though! Slightly worried about compression after The Sound Of The Smiths, another Frank Arkwright remaster. Hopefully Stephen Street reined that in!

24. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

he he I missed out on the 10 years box (broke student, unable to buy that!), but that set now is selling for decent money.

If the new box sucks soundwise, you can always resell it ( if the "limited" thing proves to be true )

25. Neonbeam

Throbbing Gristle's "24 Hours With" consists of 24 CDs and a bonus disc thrown in for good measure ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TG24

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.