Blue Note "Classic Vinyl Reissue Series" - 2020 and beyond...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Briskit, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Also fair!

2. beginthebegin

beginthebegin Harmonicat

sure, they will certainly resell the catalog at some point, but again, I just don't see that happening in anything like the short term. Personally I think the current format + price is fairly reasonable and in most cases offers very very good SQ

bjlefebvre likes this.
  3. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

I think the current format and price is exceptional, but as we see with all the complaint of jackets and reports of 45s being far better SQ, people will drop coin on limited runs at 45 with premium jackets. Again, only after Don, Joe, Kevin, etc — I don't think there's any chance this guard is doing recuts just to be clear. So it just comes down to how we define short term. I'm talking 5-10 years, probably closer to ten.

4. If you want the ultimate version the only option I could imagine going besides the MMJ is a stone mint original.

The MM would likely beat that sonically, too.

mktracy and bruinuclafan like this.
  5. ArneW

ArneW Senior Member

I‘d love to believe this but I’d rather not bet on it. Keep in mind that Don Was and Joe Harley are turning 72 this year. It‘s not written in stone that their successors will carry the torch in the same way. Better get the current analog releases while they‘re around and plentiful.

bjlefebvre likes this.
  6. bruinuclafan

bruinuclafan Forum Resident

Blue Note can't even sell these Classic series and Tone Poets at MSRP anymore for the most part. Everyone is buying them on sale. No way they try 2x45s again. Literally no reason for them to go there.

7. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

Only way I can see it is if they limit them to 1,000 - 1,500 each and advertise it as such. $60 would likely be the retail

bruinuclafan likes this.
  8. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Seeing sales on Amazon does not equal blue note not being able to sell MSRP

Joe said very recently in no uncertain terms the Tone Poet series is the most successful reissue series in the label's history

9. bruinuclafan

bruinuclafan Forum Resident

Yeah or more if we're talking 10 years from now. I just don't see a division of Universal wasting time with a project that small. But who knows.

Not entirely surprising given the label's history. It's not like they were rolling in dough back then. Also the pandemic I'm sure helped that a lot. But it's not just sales on Amazon, it's everywhere, including from Blue note themselves. I really don't know anyone aside from a few people here who buy these at full price anymore. The pandemic FOMO times are very much over.

10. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

I don't see BN ever doing 45's. The market for 45's is small even today, and it's going to shrink and shrink.

11. beginthebegin

beginthebegin Harmonicat

Yeah, other than the possibility of some OneSteps, I agree, and they might just go the Craft route and do them as 33s anyway. Also, in a decade from now which is probably the earliest they'd restart anything, my guess is that hi-res streaming will be so good and cover everything that demand for the ultimate in sound quality will be met there instead of cuts at 45

12. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Ten years ago no one believed the vinyl bubble would last this long. Nothing is shrinking in the vinyl world right now except for overpriced onesteps. Time will tell, but things are going better than anyone thought they would in this industry

chris8519 likes this.
  13. Andy Pandy

Andy Pandy Forum Resident

On what do you base the statement that it’s going to shrink and shrink? The AP Atlantic series seems to be quite successful.

Crush87 likes this.
  14. The chances of Blue Note doing a wide scale 45 RPM series is slim to none IMO. I could maybe see them doing some kind of uber-deluxe treatment for a select few at $100+ MSRP, but I seriously doubt it. 45rpm is not a popular format.

15. Hankenstein

Hankenstein Forum Resident

It seems to me that you will regret not buying it. If you really enjoy the MMJs and can afford them, what the heck.

timzigs, bjlefebvre and GabrielJazz like this.
  16. J Borland

J Borland Forum Resident

Dusty Groove has carried multiple releases priced at $18.99.

attym likes this.
  17. mantis4tons

mantis4tons Forum Resident

It would be awesome if Blue Note (or someone like VMP) reissued the disco 45RPM 12" singles they put out in the 70s. It'll never happen, but it would be cool!

Aleksander86 and beginthebegin like this.
  18. J. Brown

J. Brown Active Member

I'm going to second @brimuchmuze's suggestion that you consider ordering from cdjapan.com. They charge ¥2000 each, and the current exchange rate is very favorable if you're buying in dollars – at the moment, ¥2000 is just $13.21. They package things well and ship them promptly, and if you order a bunch at once the shipping costs aren't at all unreasonable (I ordered 15 back in January and the total shipping cost was $28.16 – so less than $2 per disc.)

If you're reluctant to place a big order without hearing what you're getting first, you could check out the "Blue Note 85th Anniversary UHQ CDs from Japan" thread, order one that seems promising from Amazon to see what you think of the sound, and then, if you like it, place a larger order with CD Japan.

(Sorry, but I can't address the part of your post that asks how these compare to the AP SACDs.)

attym likes this.
  19. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

$8
    amzn.to/3TTvaLM

Last edited: Mar 28, 2024
  20. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

I think titles like this would be better served by a breakout funk/fusion series

They do not seem to sell well as BNCs. Might fare better with different branding/marketing

chris8519 and bruinuclafan like this.
  21. GabrielJazz

GabrielJazz Forum Resident

Gone already! I actually really like this record. But I also like Latin Bit, which isn’t very popular either.

Jasonbraswell likes this.
  22. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

I think it's just a flooded jazz market.
    Great Green tired too.

23. attym

attym Forum Resident

Don’t mind if I do!

24. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

back available at the low price. just won't ship for 2-4 weeks.

GabrielJazz likes this.
  25. beginthebegin

beginthebegin Harmonicat

ordered, wth, right?!