Blue Note "Classic Vinyl Reissue Series" - 2020 and beyond...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Briskit, Oct 23, 2020.

1. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

Search For New Land back in stock at Amazon. Let's see if I can get a nice pressing this time. :agree:

mktracy, GabrielJazz and Crush87 like this.
  2. allbrosca

allbrosca Dancing Madly Backwards

We must be buying at the same time!

Hankenstein likes this.
  3. Hankenstein

Hankenstein Forum Resident

True, but sometimes surprises happen. About one year ago, I was happy that Point of Departure and Evolution had dropped a few € in price and got them for 25€ each, and a few days later they dropped to 15€. Just 5 months after release.

At the moment I’m not in a hurry to get the new releases, but the albums are so good that I won’t wait for the best deal the moment I fancy a purchase.

4. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Yeah, I think for someone in Europe it probably makes sense to hold out longer

For me in the US, buying a $20 BNC isn't going to bother me much if it drops down to $16 the next day. They're both great deals

5. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Bought this on BNC Vinyl, but there was too much non-fill so returned. It get's exhausting at times to put up with poor pressings and go through returns to get an adequate pressing. Eventually it's a compromise, and you have to give in to some imperfections.

But I got the Blue Note 85 series pressing on CD from Japan and it's fantastic. 100% Kevin Gray, no vinyl issues.

[​IMG]

Spazros, vette442, Mark J and 13 others like this.
  6. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Do you have any other versions to compare it to? Also, do you have any other BN85 CDs? Curious about the sound.

7. brimuchmuze

There is a thread on them here with some comparisons & thoughts on the sound.

Blue Note 85th Anniversary UHQ CDs from Japan - Kevin Gray mastered

I have compared a couple of the BN85 CDs with BNC LPs, and find them to sound very similar.

JoFr, mktracy, vette442 and 1 other person like this.
  8. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

9. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

Im really torn on Mode for Joe

I have a friend who is willing to sell me a Music Matters 45 for $175. These things tend to go north of $275 on average. It’s a top 20 Blue Note for me if not top 15. $21 for the Classic Series is clearly the better deal, but I know this is one that will get TONS of spins. Still curious if there are any direct comparisons between these two out there. I have double dipped with In’ n Out and Inner Urge and while classic series releases can be pretty close to even on par with Music Matters, in both of these instances I thought the Music Matters offered a substantial improvement in sound. Right now I have a 70s pressing that is noisy enough to be a little annoying.

Has anyone compared the 45 from Music Matters to the Classic Series. I want to make a move soon, but am so torn on what to do

bjlefebvre likes this.
  10. GabrielJazz

GabrielJazz Forum Resident

With $175, you could potentially buy almost 9 Blue Note Classic titles on sale - just saying!

Pimjazz0 likes this.
  11. Vibrolux_Reverb

I know. Classic Series is a better deal by a long shot, and tbh I own 150+ Blue Notes. At this point I am really just aiming at the obtaining the ultimate version of the top 50 or so titles which I have almost done over time.

one big factor is that the chances I ever run across this one at this price (as high as it may be) is highly unlikely.

12. bjlefebvre

bjlefebvre Forum Resident

I haven't done a comparison, but will just say again how good the BNC sounds on this. I'm sure the MMJ sounds better, and frankly if you're even asking you're prepping yourself to go for it, but if there's any other MMJ you're mulling, the money might be better spent there as far as sonics are concerned.

mktracy, Crush87 and GabrielJazz like this.
  13. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Again, I contend that if demand stays steady (not a given, BUT the vinyl bubble has yet to burst) Blue Note will look to do 45s in-house at some point. I simply don’t believe a 3rd party was the first and last shot at those records in that format.

Record Label 101: repackage, resell.

mktracy and GabrielJazz like this.
  14. Bobsblkwax

Bobsblkwax Forum Resident

I just played the classic version yesterday and compared it to the MM 45 version. No contest. The MM sounds way more open and detailed. I guess there's a reason it sells for what it does. I bought the Classic with hopes that I would like it enough to sell my MM 45, but no way. May not be the news you wanted to hear, but I heard what I heard when I heard it. (Props to Lou Costello.)

headtheory and bruinuclafan like this.
  15. GabrielJazz

This always crosses my mind whenever I buy a BNC. I’m hoping I’ll be able to retrain myself when that does happen and just buy a few I truly want on 45 - e.g., Maiden Voyage.

16. GabrielJazz

But was it $154 worth of open and detail?

17. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Exactly.

I can see 2k runs cut but Matt Lutthans at 45 once Kevin has made his way through the whole catalog. It won’t be in the next five years, but certainly possible after that. I also think we’ll see monos (where the mono mix exists) of the ones that Kevin has done stereo

GabrielJazz likes this.
  18. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Probably is if it’s a top tier title to someone

Im just playing the long game. Why would Blue Note allow MMJ to be the only time those records were allowed in that format? I don’t see it. Demand is there (albeit in smaller numbers). Hopefully it’s sustainable over the next 5-10 years

GabrielJazz likes this.
  19. Bobsblkwax

Bobsblkwax Forum Resident

To me it is, but that's easier for me to say since I was a subscriber.

GabrielJazz likes this.
  20. attym

attym Forum Resident

I really wish the KG Blue Note CDs were readily available in the US. Probably best for my wallet that they’re not . How do these compare to the AP SACDs?

21. brimuchmuze

I think you can find some of them on Amazon, but they are much more expensive than buying from cdjapan.

22. Vibrolux_Reverb

Of course not with law of diminishing return, however Ill probably play this album 100 tims in my life. At that point we are talking $1.50 more per spin. My wife will tell you that I am good at justifying things. Lol

23. beginthebegin

beginthebegin Harmonicat

hmm, not sure on the 45s - BN has gone through a lot of production to get these 33s out there (Classic and TP) - "demand" for a company like UMe is a tricky subject - personally I think of they ever go the 45 route again, it will be a OneStep kind of thing with maybe 2 titles a year. If they were really into 45s I think they would have just had the TPs be 45s...

24. Vibrolux_Reverb

I just dont want to wait that long. Lol

25. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Joe did not want to do 45s

They're going to resell the catalog over and over again after Don Was, Kevin, Joe etc

And I know it's sacrosanct, but one day it will be demixing/remixing using AI, like it or not

GabrielJazz likes this.