Blue Note "Classic Vinyl Reissue Series" - 2020 and beyond...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Briskit, Oct 23, 2020.

1. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Black Stars is fantastic. Really great. Ya, it would have been a good pick too.

Sam Rivers!

At least they picked a few post 60's titles :)

I'd be happy with more of course.

Tricky By Name and Dai like this.
  2. Arc66

Arc66 Forum Resident

Just listened to my copy of "A new perspective", it sounds awesome indeed. I sold my ORG RVG stereo NY Labels a month ago hoping to get the better sound. I didn't like the sound of it: too harsh with no bass, earbleeding a bit. KG mastering impoved the sound: very balanced tone, noticable bass, very rich sound. I enjoy it a lot more now!

3. Gyrouser

Gyrouser Forum Resident

Wait, you sold a OG Blue Note for a reissue? And without comparing first. :yikes:

danasgoodstuff likes this.
  4. Arc66

Arc66 Forum Resident

As i said before, i didn't like the sound. The foto on the ORG was better quality though. Yes, it was risky... but i got what i was hoping for! I got money for 6 reissues after i sold it as well.

5. Tourswede

Tourswede Forum Resident

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the Black Stars album! Didn't know about it before and loving it.

On a side note... I notice on Qobuz it is listed as a Sam Rivers album. There a story to this or just a mistake?

6. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

One of the people I follow on YT, WCB Jazz Vinyl, made a good video on this year’s offerings.

JoFr, mishima's dog and Glenn coates like this.
  7. bresna

bresna Senior Member

There was a calendar put out in 1994 with some great 14 x 14 black & white Francis Wolff shots. It was so well done that I bought two calendars to give one to a friend. I got several of the photos signed - Stanley Turrentine, Curtis Fuller, Bobby Hutcherson, Horace Silver & Elvin Jones - and mounted them in UV-blocking frames for my wall. Sadly, I wasn't into getting autographs when Tony Williams & Joe Henderson came through Boston or I would have gotten them signed too.

There's one for sale on eBay for only $29.99 - which is a steal for these beautiful photos on thick paper stock.
    [​IMG]

8. Glenn coates

Glenn coates Forum Resident

Thanks Brad………. I enjoyed it and will make that regular viewing, as I was not aware of this YouTube channel.

Bradd likes this.
  9. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

I don’t know how I discovered his channel Glenn but I enjoy it a lot. He has a lot of good info and is very knowledgeable.

10. Amanita muscaria

Amanita muscaria Forum Resident

Looking at the '24 list, excited for folks to have the opportunity to pick up a reasonably priced copy of gettin around. I recently did a deep dive into Dexter's catalogue and getting around ranked just behind one flight up for me. It's a nice contemplative laid back listen that offers a bit of complexity and emotion and the addition of Hutcherson on vibes is just beautiful. I recently picked up the MM copy and no regrets there.

The addition of JUJU alone leaves me content but also really looking forward to wahoo and the gigolo. I'll also probably pick up royal flush at some point along with any other forthcoming byrd/adams releases.

mktracy likes this.
  11. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

So looks like Happenings is avail for pre-order on Blue Note site but still nowhere else?

12. baruk

baruk Well-Known Member

13. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

14. DavidJ

DavidJ Forum Resident

I preordered from Bullmoose back on 2/26.

Crush87 likes this.
  15. Dai

Dai Note to self: listen to Clifford Brown more often

It's available for preorder at my local bricks & mortar.

racer59 and Crush87 like this.
  16. baruk

baruk Well-Known Member

17. Petter Premberg

Petter Premberg Forum Resident

I think the release of Donald Byrd's A New Perspective got lost a bit in the excitement of the excellent titles in the new list, but I finally spun mine today and it sounds really great.

It's like a real choir in here, not at all like on digital streams where it sounds a bit weird/out of place. Byrd sounds bright and majestic, just as it should be. Such a beautiful tone. I really look forward to Royal Flush too (just behind Wahoo! And Juju on the next batch's favourites) :love:

18. bjlefebvre

bjlefebvre Forum Resident

I am becoming Jutta Hipp curious. Streaming the JH w/ZS now and liking what I hear....

Geez, just read the Juatta Hipp Wikipedia bio...yeesh, that's just depressing all around. I think I will be looking for her records, though. I had never heard of her before - the early BNC escaped my notice - but I'll definitely be on the lookout now.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2024
  19. beginthebegin

beginthebegin Harmonicat

Mode for Joe is $21 on Amazon right now - has it been cheaper than that yet? I'm trying to hold out until BNCs get into the teens generally, but that is a tempting price...

20. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Not all dip into teens. For example, I've been waiting for Monk Genius of Modern Music to hit that mark, but since release in Oct '22 has only gone as low as $23.50

That's a great price for Mode For Joe IMO

21. Hankenstein

Hankenstein Forum Resident

My experience is that a serious price drop happens right after I buy.

22. beginthebegin

beginthebegin Harmonicat

Yep, certainly happens

23. Deric Olphy

Deric Olphy Forum Resident

let me know when you’ve placed an order :righton:

24. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

I don’t think Mode For Joe is dropping to $13 tomorrow.

Could def go down more, just a matter of how much someone wants to wait

I waited on Monk at $23 and it’s been back up to SRP ever since

beginthebegin likes this.
  25. Hankenstein

Hankenstein Forum Resident

I used to think very positively of the person Leonard Feather, simply on the strength of his liner notes. After reading about Jutta Hipp’s story, I’m always reminded of her when I read the name Leonard Feather on the back of an album cover, and I think “you bloody bastard you”.

mktracy and bjlefebvre like this.