Blu Spec Recommendations ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Myke, May 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. calijawn

calijawn Active Member

Please get back to us when you do... have this on both standard CD and the MoFi, but definitely curious about this latest pressing.

2. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

I just ordered Toto's Hydra from Amazon for $6.29 - the product description says it's blu-spec. Based your comment on the sound quality, I think I got a good deal.

3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse Thread Starter

And now it's in the Classifieds. :laugh: Don't need all those tracks repeated, since I've picked up so much Elvis since then.

4. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

Amazon's descriptions are often wrong. You'll end up with the standard CD.

5. Myke

6. vkamicht

vkamicht Forum Resident

Sound's like Barry's CD player is awful if it can't even do enough error correction/prevention such that the material of a CD makes a "big" difference in the sound.

How else can two discs with the same digital data sound so different? Sigh. :thumbsdn:

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  7. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I have both Robbie Robertson SHM-CDs and they're very well done. I reviewed the first one in-depth on another thread ... it's the same content plus bonus tracks as the Hip-O collection that's OOP now. Thumbs up all 'round.

8. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

9. zen

zen Senior Member

I've only got Deep Purple's "The Battle Rages On" and I really like it. It's clearly warmer sounding than the original CD (RCA), and it sounds like there's more space around each instrument. Great clarity. So I'm very glad I got it, but it was expensive, so for now, I'm happy with the one Blu-Spec disc.

10. Are all of these Sony Japan blu-spec CD issues, stock, or do they contain the Sony/Legacy reissue bonus tracks where applicable?

11. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

I completely disagree. Pointing out that Blu Spec is just a marketing gimmick is useful information for everyone.

Lost In The Flood and goodiesguy like this.
  12. Myke

Also helps to read ALL the posts, esp. Barry's, and not just the ones you agree with.

13. Music Geek

I have read Barry's post and I don't agree with what he says so I am not commenting on that post.
    As another poster mentioned if you hear a difference between a standard CD and a BluSpec CD IMO the only explanation is that your Cd player is broken.

Lost In The Flood and goodiesguy like this.
  14. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

A bunch of classic Hall & Oates titles have just been released in Japan as cardboard-sleeved Blu-Spec CDs. I bought LIVE AT THE APOLLO and CHANGE OF SEASON, two personal favorites, and will report back when I spin 'em. These are truly limited editions, I'm told. CD Japan is carrying 'em all, BTW.

15. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

You've gotta be more specific.

To try to answer your question, generally speaking the Sony Legacy Blu-Spec discs contain whatever the latest master is that's being used for the regular CD title currently in print. Generally speaking.

16. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

After reading the posts commenting on this, I double it.

17. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

I think buying a more expensive version of a commonly available CD simply because the CD is made out of a different material is a wise decision and something I endorse wholeheartedly.

18. Music Geek

Good to see some positive thinking, finally!!

:laugh:

19. Leroy Bad

Leroy Bad Forum Resident

I know at least with King Records, they only reissue what was on the original LP.

20. MartinR

MartinR Forum Resident

Hi everyone!
    This is my first post here but i have been following this forum for about six months. I have been collecting records for about 15 years and had a growing feeling that the ones I bought didn't sound "right". One day I googled something like "good/bad sounding cd's" and eventually ended up here. Since then I have bought quite a few records based on recommendations from this place, including a handful MFSL and a few DCC/AF cd's. I have also bought some blu-spec cd's out of curiosity. I now have Dylans BOTD, BoB, BIABH, Desire and Nashville skyline, Aerosmiths Toy's in the attic and Clash's S/T and London calling. I have all these records on regular cd with the same mastering as the blu-specs and I can honestly say that they do sound different. Weather it's better or worse is a question of (mastering)taste i guess but if you A/B for example "Meet me in the morning" and can't hear the difference then there must be something really wrong with your hearing/equipment..

21. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Plus...the color blue is cool.

22. music_man

music_man New Member

One thing that is often omitted when trying to deduce potential qualities of blu-spec/SHM against standard CD, is to always use the Japanese regular and equivalent pressing against the blu-spec/SHM pressing. Indeed, it is possible to have cases like this:

CD xy released in US, EU, Japan in 1998
    CD xy remastered in Japan in 2006 (possibly without any indication of the remastering)
    Blu-spec or SHM CD xy released in Japan using the 2006 remastering

Someone comparing the 1998 version with the blu-spec/SHM version will obviously notice differences. To be able to assign these differences to the blu-spec/SHM manufacturing, one needs to use the 2006 release.

23. Staxman

Staxman Member

I can vouch for The Essential Clash, especially disc 2 which is comprised of tracks from London Calling, Sandanista!, Combat Rock, and the Radio Clash single...

24. Kimo

Kimo New Member

Or your hearing doesn't suck, or your system doesn't suck, or both.

Let me guess; all cables sound the same, bits are bits, blah, blah, blah, etc. etc.

I would recommend Kind of Blue and London Calling.

25. Music Geek

Have you tried to put the CD in the fridge for a couple of hours before playing it? The sound will be crystal clear, much better than a CD at room temperature. At lower temperature the atoms on the surface of the disc move slower so there is less background noise. It's a fact (so I say).

Give it a try.... if you can't hear the difference that you should upgrade your system, probably starting from power cables.

Or give me some rational answer on the reason why a different material can change the sound but different temperature can't.

goodiesguy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.