Blu-Ray with 24/192 output from coax?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bdiament, May 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bdiament

bdiament Producer, Engineer, Soundkeeper Thread Starter

2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Thanks for being a thinking person on the subject of high resolution audio. I only wish all SACD players could play burned DSD content. I like the DAD type format really well at 24/96 as an easily accessible format for better audio. I hate the copy protection on new media getting in the way.

3. dudeymon

dudeymon Forum Resident

My 2 cents regarding 192K/24b WAV files:

2-channel 192K/24b PCM is totally within the DVD-V audio specs. Fleetwood Mac's The Dance DVD has a 192K/24b PCM audio track on it that sounds spectacular.

You can create DVD-V discs on your PC using Discwelder-Bronze that will input 192K/24b WAV files and burn them on to a DVD-V. Any DVD-V player that can resolve 192K audio fully without dropping samples should be able to read and play the music. DVD-Audio & MLP capabilities are not required.

I have taken a lot of my CD tracks, ripped them to my PC, and then upsampled them to 192K/24b using some software I wrote to try to smooth out and improve the sound. I play them by burning the 192K files to DVD-V and play them on my player. The sound improvements are significant and worth the effort, but not stunning.

This doesn't exactly address the question of 192K/24b digital o/p via coax. I'd like to find a way to do that myself. My DAC claims to be able to do 192K D/A conversion via coax, but as yet I don't know how to produce the signal to test it out.

4. bdiament

5. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

:agree:

Hi Barry,

This is a topic I have been looking into as well and was going to post the same, so a great thread; I will be following with interest. :righton:

I will also raise this question with a few people I know and see if this turns up the answer you are looking for

Regards,

Simon :)

6. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

You mean 24/96. DVD-V does not do 24/192 but DVD-A does.

7. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

This is correct Barry, I think that Dudeymon is confused about his sample rates.

8. dudeymon

dudeymon Forum Resident

You're right. I am confused. I looked it up in the Discwelder manual, and the output DVD's are DVD-A, not DVD-V. My bad.

I still would love to find an easy way to get 192K/24b WAV files in to the coax digital input of my DAC.

I got tired of burning the DVD-A discs and bought a Transporter to receive the WAVs over my network & coax them in to my DAC, but it only supports 96K/24b. Sounds great, but I'd like to go up to 192K.

Maybe someday before my old ears go bad.

9. art

art Senior Member

me too.

10. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

http://www.psaudio.com/ps/products/detail/perfectwave-dac?cat=audio

I just got off the phone with PS Audio. Their Perfect Wave Dac VIA HDMI will decode uncompressed 24/192 PCM output from a Blu-Ray player. I don't see why the signal would be preferred over Coax. But then again, I've only heard SPDIF coax connections, which IMO are very sensitive to Coax cable brands. I'm being nice here as the truth is that SPDIF is rarely done properly.

11. bdiament

Hi reb,

Speaking for myself, it is more an issue of the preference being, not so much for coax per se but for coax over Toslink.

I'd be happier with AES instead of RCA and happier still with BNC with separate word clock -- but that isn't going to happen any time soon.

The options on most machines I've seen are coax and Toslink. When that is the choice, I opt for coax.

Best regards,
    Barry
    www.soundkeeperrecordings.com
    www.barrydiamentaudio.com

12. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Agree that AES is preferred to COAX and COAX to Toslink. However, I've never had the opportunity to try/use BNC. Too bad your UN8 (?) does not take an HDMI input. But perhaps one of those external converter boxes will do the trick for you. I'm really torn over this NY Archives set. I'm not a fan of HDCD and to buy this on cd format is kinda pointless when its available in 24/192. Plus now I have to spend 3K or so for a DAC and then another unspecified amount for a transport. And who knows if any other major projects will follow and be released in true 24/192 Blu-Ray audio. I think I'm gonna just do nothing for now.......:sigh:

13. art

art Senior Member

Me too. Or get the DVDs.

14. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

deleted post, sorry.

15. Markym

Markym Forum Resident

Hi Barry,

I would like to be able to buy your recordings on DVD-A if possible. I don't want to have to invest in new equipment (i.e. Blu-Ray) to do so. If this is not possible then please make the 24/192 data available on a DVD-R or as a download so we can burn our own DVD-A's.

FWIW, as well as the Panasonic DVD-S47, the S77 and S97 also go up to 24/192 via coax.

Cheers.

16. emmodad

emmodad Forum Resident

some of these may still be available, I haven't been looking for a while:
    atlona AT-HDMI-DVI coax does 24/192
    dvigear DVI-3510a coax not sure of max rate
    gefen has/had several products that were confirmed by gefen to do 96 LPCM on coax and TOS incl extendit 4x2 HDMI switcher. not sure about the home theatre scaler plus. allegedly gefen has updated some products to provide 24/192 LPCM data transfer, however i don't personally know this to be confirmed. you may have to trawl thru gefen's products and then contact tech support to confirm. gefen in past were not forthcoming with such info; it seemed they were embarassed as they were late to the game in providing 24/192
    octava 1x2 HDMI distribution amp - TOS, not sure about max rate in current product, they confirmed 96
    zektor IIRC has something

i own atlona AT-HDMI-DVI (HDMI > (DVI + SPDIF coax RCA); not certain if still in production? ebay may be your friend.

not clear from webpage specific wording and grammar if this actually does 24/192: http://www.ambery.com/hdauspwiopto.html

a new Japanese product sort of like atlona form factor which IIRC is HDMI > HDMI passthru + 7.1 channel analog + SPDIF on TOS; perhaps one of our Japanese readers can translate and possibly confirm about max sample rate over the TOS: http://lancerlink.free.makeshop.jp/shopdetail/007000000007/

update: lancerlink appears identical to new Atlona AT-HD570 "HDMI (1.3) Audio De-Embedder"; so check w/ atlona on max LPCM sample rate spec

other possibles from atlona: looks like there may be some new switch / scale products with dig audio breakout.....

could you be somewhat more precise in relating what you were told, please? if what you say above is accurate, they have made major recent changes to the DAC input capabilities.

all published and psaudio forum info states PWD will decode 24/192 from digital inputs other than TOS & USB which are both 96 max; question is how the PCM audio from standard HDMI would be accessed and read by the DAC.

IIRC this use of HDMI is psaudio proprietary use of HDMI cabling / interconnect (for HDMI's electrical, interference, transmission etc properties) to transport I2S signal from their upcoming player to their upcoming DAC. their own documentation states it must be connected to another psaudio product and that this is not a standard-compliant use of HDMI

IOW, it's not "standard" signal transmission via HDMI in the way a consumer would normally think of HDMI

An HDMI interface will only be active if there is a handshake with an approved receiving/display device (HDCP -- the copy protection stuff), so unless they have newly-announced that they are building a full HDCP-compliant HDMI interface into the DAC, somethying is being lost in translation... without legal handshake, any upstream HDMI source would simply not transmit over HDMI (as mandated by spec)

keep an eye on development of the psaudio Lens (a 2009 relative of the old Genesis Digital Lens). psa is currently trying to define final form factor and i/o complement, there's a thread on their forums. in simple terms: a dejittering unit like the old Digital Lens, 24/192, and a bypass function; plust many digital inputs and outputs so it is also in a sense a digital source slector

17. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Emmodad, I'll leave it to you to fill in the blanks. I posted what I was told. In the meantime, I've decided to do nothing at all.

18. darkmatter

Good to know thanks :)

19. bdiament

Hi Markym,

Soundkeeper already offers 24/96 DVD-Rs (in DVD-V format) that will play on almost any DVD player.

Since I am a fan of the album format as a vehicle for musical expression (and spend considerable time with the artist considering the spacing between tracks, which can strongly alter the flow and feel of a record), we are not offering downloads of files-on-disk at this time. It is under consideration but so far, the call has been to avoid the "singles" orientation of current schemes.

If Blu-Ray survives, we'll consider offering future recordings at 24/192 in this format. DVD-A as far as I'm concerned, is obsolete, which is too bad. If I felt it was still viable, we'd offer recordings in this format.

Best regards,
    Barry

20. Markym

Markym Forum Resident

Hi Barry,

I've got your Lift DVD, very good it is too! :cheers:

Regards 24/192 releases, could you not offer a DVD+/-R of the entire album as a .WAV file or whatever, so I can create my own DVD-A from it? People using computer audio could rip this data to their hard drive too, for further flexibility.

If neither is an option, then more 24/96 DVD+/-R's from you would be better than nothing.

Cheers,
    Mark

21. bdiament

Hi Markym,

"Lift" was recorded at 24/96, so the DVD-R version contains the equivalent of the masters. (I recently compared files extracted from the DVD-R by another Soundkeeper customer with the original files on my hard disk. I found his extractions to be 100% bit-perfect matches.)

All my work now is recorded at 24/192 so if I can find a viable way of distributing these without compromising the vision of the artist, I will do so.
    That is why I started this thread. I'm watching Blu-Ray and if it survives, it might be the right medium for distribution.

Best regards,
    Barry

22. Markym

Markym Forum Resident

Hi Darkmatter,

They crop up on ebay quite a bit. I've got a S47 and S97 (as a backup) feeding my DAC1 and the AIX / Classic releases at 24/192 do sound excellent, no question.

Playing back DVD-A's with copy protection is more of an issue but this can be circumvented. Create a 24/96 DVD-R backup of the disc using DVD-A Explorer and this will get rid of the copy protection and the fact it's a DVD-R, not DVD-A, means watermarking is ignored. The issue here is with 24/192 stereo layers as these exceed the 24/96 limit available on DVD-R - downsampling would be required in this instance.

Cheers.

23. darkmatter

I may well hunt one of these down to play around with. I may ask a friend to rustle up a 24/192 DAC to play around with too. I wonder if some of the Chinese manufacturers will produce BRD players with a 24/192 digi out via coax? one or two of the recent DVD players can output such as well

Simon :)

24. darkmatter

I wonder what these are like?

25. bdiament

Hi Simon,

Perhaps I'll find out.

Strange though, my $150 DVD player outputs full 24/96 via its coax outputs to my DAC, yet a more expensive Blu-Ray player requires the additional investment of a few hundred dollars in order to get the full 24/192 (hopefully) from coax.

Was thinking about a Blu-Ray player too.
    Now I might have to wait for 3D. ;-}

Best regards,
    Barry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.