Black Sabbath The Tony Martin Years

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Maidenpriest, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

ooooo!!!

Headless Idol, Purple and Riffraff03 like this.
  2. tsimisde

tsimisde Well-Known Member

Definitely sounds different, a lot of work is put on the remix but, after hearing the remixed one, i think that the vocals are either re-recorded or a different vocal take is used. Also, i heard the released singles and i think the sound is a bit different, not in a bad way, on Anno Mundi for example, i feel the sound more punchy and boomy, not so thin as we got used to.

3. Gus Tomato

Gus Tomato Stop dreamin’ and start drivin’ Stevie!

Wow! Cheers for that.
    Sounds a lot ‘cleaner’ than Ernie C’s version. But will it be smashed to DR 6, or thereabouts? Unfortunately I think it will.

Edit: Nice preview of the accompanying book as well.

4. reaperrich

reaperrich Forum Resident

I just compared the snippet with the original CD and must say I think the vocals really are a different take. Listen to the "gotta get a hold on life" part. The "on" is sung very stretched. Can't hear that on the original for sure. That is a very interesting notion indeed!

I'd doubt it's a re-record. The voice changes within almost 30 years but this seems very alike to the original. Of course, Autotune and what not could easily fix that, too.

Other than that it sounds pretty metal. The bass drum come pretty strong and so does the bass. At least on my head phones. Can't test anything else right now. But yes, I also am afraid it's compressed. Still nice to get this though.

5. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

No kidding, the new remix sounds like it was recorded yesterday, the difference is startling.

here's the original

6. tsimisde

tsimisde Well-Known Member

I have heard so many times this song so, this particular difference you noticed, was detected instantly, in the first hearing, i noticed the exact same thing. At first, i had the idea that maybe there is a change in tempo so, the "on" is stretched in order to match the tempo.

Of course a voice changes through the years, i thought that maybe in some phrases there is an overdub, maybe the original master tapes got broken in parts and some phrases were recorded again (something particular Megadeth had done if I'm right).

Also, i have read an interview where Tony Martin, said that he wasn't happy with the performances which included in the final version (something like a demo version which, he thought wasn't the best one) so, maybe there is used a different take which was better by the vocalists standards, maybe he has found an alternate take and brought it to Iommi, he had many of the rehearsals in his archive so, maybe he found an alternate take.

However, i think that if you hear closely, you will hear a more mature voice in my ears and also, i think that the drums are a bit revamped, apart from their sound, i have never heard the ride cymbal so clearly (muddy production i guess) and something feels different, as someone said, it sounds like it was recorded yesterday, it sounds so fresh....

7. OzzyIsDio

OzzyIsDio Maniacal Sabbath Fanatic

Damn I didn’t know this was coming out finally!! Thank you all for the info!!!!

I’m still in time to place my order

8. OzzyIsDio

Anyone have a link to where this is available and what we are getting with the box set?

9. Riffraff03

Riffraff03 Forum Resident

OzzyIsDio likes this.
  10. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Amazon: $60 CD's or $100 for the LP boxset.

11. OzzyIsDio

12. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Has Singer ever been a full-fledged partner in any band?

Gus Tomato likes this.
  13. Riffraff03

Riffraff03 Forum Resident

OzzyIsDio likes this.
  14. OzzyIsDio

Thank you Sir, I’m besides myself finally, I’m getting both LP and CD.

So the limited CD box set will only be a certain amount available?

15. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Right now it should be available at your favorite retailer...for how long, we do not know.

Riffraff03 and OzzyIsDio like this.
  16. OzzyIsDio

So if I preorder through Amazon it’s guaranteed I’ll get the limited edition cd box set or do I have to order it from RHINO?

I appreciate your help.

17. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

There are no guarantees in life...but if you order it now via Amazon you should be fine. I ordered mine on Bullmoose.com

fretter and OzzyIsDio like this.
  18. OzzyIsDio

Thank you Curveboy much appreciate Sir

Curveboy likes this.
  19. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Badlands??? Eric Singer Project???

20. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Was he on equal footing with Jake E Lee in Badlands? Or a hired gun? I actually always assumed he was on payroll.

I don't know that ESP actually counts as a band as much as a side project that sold CDs at Kiss conventions.

21. Bucks

Bucks Forum Resident

Eric Singer has always been a session drummer/hired gun

(except Eric Singer Project, of course)

Badlands could be an exception.

22. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Can I get an amen?

23. reaperrich

reaperrich Forum Resident

Amen

Curveboy and fretter like this.
  24. OzzyIsDio

Finally Tony Martin gets the recognition he deserves, a box set with his material like Ozzy and Ronnie got, really happy about this.

rebetis, kohoutek, Scooby and 9 others like this.
  25. Purple

Purple Forum Resident

Spent some time re-reading some old threads. Clearly, the board's hopes for an expansive Forbidden set have been decisively crushed. (Some good quotes from Iommi and Martin in there, if you can be bothered). Summarizing my thoughts, I wrote earlier (c. 2019):

"The performances [on Forbidden] were actually very good and heavy in their raw form... The album's production by Ernie C sapped a lot of the album's power. It is for this reason that the remix of this album (ventured by Iommi in 2010-11) is so heavily awaited."

The new snippet may suggest all is not yet lost. Cautiously optimistic.

""Loser Gets It All" should have been on the album proper. The band made strange (poor) choices of what to use as Japanese bonus tracks. (A more disastrous choice was leaving off "What's the Use" from Cross Purposes... as it should have been the lead track)."

Already included on the cd - a win. Nonplussed about its absence on the LP. May have been wise to keep it off?

"The "rap" on "Illusion of Power" was not a rap but spoken word, which I actually found quite effective. I like the song, and applaud the band for taking some chances, and it turned out a lot better than some contemporaries (Rush's "Roll the Bones" as one example). For those who care, there is an alternate take with Martin on vox instead."

Not to get hopes up but, the official listing and packaging doesn't have "featuring Ice-T." By contrast, he is listed in the Wikipedia entry. That may not mean anything, however.

I wrote to skeptics:

"Just listen to the demos... The songs are hit and miss, but I vibrant production can blur that (c.f. a lot of Maiden albums in the 80s). If Iommi can reproduce the demos in an official form, with a few overdubs, I think you have a winner. Including "Loser gets it all" on the album proper (not a second disc), would be a capstone."

As some have posted, the snippet sounds like a different take or new vocal overdub. (We do know for a fact that Martin did visit with Iommi during the remixing process). Earlier comments by Iommi suggested he would not do any substantive changes. So far this is another win.

Elsewhere, sort of repeating myself (c. 2018):

"The rough mixes for Forbidden were impressive, relatively speaking. Throw in "Loser Gets it All" and you have a solid record. While not necessary, a remixed 'Illusion of Power" without Ice-T (or with the original vocal by Tony Martin) would improve it even further. There is tons of material for a deluxe disc, whether that's the demos or live tracks (concert)."

Well, we're not getting a deluxe release or a broad retrospective, but there's potential at least for Forbidden to rise from the ashes.

tsimisde, Curveboy, Munger74 and 4 others like this.