Black Sabbath -Paranoid SACD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rock Klammer, Jul 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

2. nin

nin Forum Resident

3. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

Yeah, the NR is a bit of a drag. And given that Andy Pearce is said not to believe in using it, I can't help but wonder if he had to use the digitial master used to make the 1996 Castle remaster. I haven't heard that 1996 disc in ages, but as I recall there was mention here about the no-noise on it. Anybody have the Castle remaster and can throw up a sample from "Planet Caravan" for hiss level comparison?

4. rym9

rym9 Member

i went from the 96 catsle remaster to this and consider the difference very veyr small.

yes the DE is slightly better and he bonus tracks are cool but not worth the upgrade from the 96 IMO

my system is an accuphase e202 with monitor audio ma3 series 2 speakers so its def not my system.

not worth the upgrade from a 96 remaster IMO

5. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

6. motorcitydave

Is your system vintage? It looks to me that it is.

7. rym9

rym9 Member

yeah the amp is...its ~ 35yrs old.

not sure about the speakers but they'd be at least 15yrs old ...easily

8. motorcitydave

Cool. How does it sound?

9. wolf66

wolf66 New Member

Yesterday I listened to "Planet Caravan" from the Castle 3-disc set from 1993/94 "The Ozzy Osbourne Years" and it is EXTREMLY hissy .....

Attached Files:

10. rym9

rym9 Member

the DE or my system

my system is really good.

especially the speakers...a very deep rich thick bass response w/o sounding boomy at all.

the amp/speaker combo is very neutral sounding and the separation of channels provided by the amp is exquisite

i highly recommend these speakers. - the amp is the perfect match for driving them fully too so its a very well balanced system

the amp has A LOT of balls to it. i have it at ~ 2/3rd's volume and its already too loud to listen to in my room.

when pushed very hard it maintains clarity without "blurring" the sound like my old marantz amp.

11. Jeff Carney

Thanks.

These are very similar and both no-noised.

So here's what I think is probably a pretty good recap of what we have in digital for Paranoid:

1986 Castle CD - Superb
    1987 33PD-353 Vertigo/Nippon Phonogram Japan CD - Superb
    1987 Warner Brothers CD - Top end boost and volume shift towards end of War Pigs
    1989 Vertigo Japan 23PD-134 (same as 1987 Warner CD)
    1991 German Castle Legends - unconfirmed but might match 1986 Castle.
    1996 Castle remaster - no-noised
    2000 Castle mini lp - no-noised
    2004 Sanctuary - should match or be similar to '96 Castle
    2004 Rhino Black Box version - brickwall compressed
    2007 Universal Japan mini (made from 2004 Sanctuary)
    2008 Universal Japan SHM mini (made from 2004 Sanctuary)
    2009 Deluxe Edition - Great bonus tracks. Album proper seems to have possibly been mastered from 1996 Castle CD or digital master used to make that disc. No-noised and some compression.

12. motorcitydave

That's cool that you found a satisfying system. Accuphase has made some damn good stuff over the years. I used to own one of their cd players.:cool:

13. jeffreybh

jeffreybh Gunter Gleiben Glauchen Globen

Just thought I'd revive this dead thread to point out to those that were disappointed that the Deluxe edition didn't get the SACD release but simply a standard res DVD release, that there is now a Japanese SHM-SACD (single layer) replease avaialable. Looks like this is the disc everyone was originally hoping was going to be released with the Deluxe Edition. Does anyone have this and if yes any comments on the sound? Is it a straight transfer of the Quad (The DVD was not), is it a new muntichannel mix from the original masters? 2 channel only? 24/48? 24/96 ? Other?

14. Jeff Carney

There are loads of comments about the SHM-SACD in other threads, but I'll add it to the list you referenced and add mine, plus one more update (1991 Teichiku).

1986 Castle CD - Superb
    1987 33PD-353 Vertigo/Nippon Phonogram Japan CD - Superb
    1987 Warner Brothers CD - Top end boost and volume shift towards end of War Pigs
    1989 Vertigo Japan 23PD-134 (same as 1987 Warner CD)
    1991 German Castle Legends - unconfirmed but might match 1986 Castle.
    1991 Teichiku Japan TECP-23893 (same as 1987 Warner CD)
    1996 Castle remaster - no-noised
    2000 Castle mini lp - no-noised
    2004 Sanctuary - should match or be similar to '96 Castle
    2004 Rhino Black Box version - brickwall compressed
    2007 Universal Japan mini (made from 2004 Sanctuary)
    2008 Universal Japan SHM mini (made from 2004 Sanctuary)
    2009 Deluxe Edition - Great bonus tracks. Album proper seems to have possibly been mastered from 1996 Castle CD or digital master used to make that disc. No-noised and some compression.
    2010 Universal Japan SHM-SACD - Fresh transfer supposedly from Japanese copy tape. Mastered by Hitoshi Takiguchi. Top end boosted and a bit tinny. Clear and bright but vastly inferior #1 and # 2 on this list.

15. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

It is strictly 2 channel - DSD mastered from a Japanese Analogue Master Tape.

It is not what would have/should have come with the Deluxe Edition (since that would have been a MCH SACD)- but as mentioned in other threads the SHM-SACD sounds excellent even if it is just a straight 2 channel reading of the album proper (no bonus tracks, etc).

16. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Yes, it sounds excellent. I can hear no brightness. I hear that no hiss is removed and I also hear that the SACD has no bandwidth limiting.

17. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Despite all the negative reviews here, I have ordered the Paranoid SHM-SACD. I have to hear it for myself.

18. buddybg

buddybg Forum Resident

the SHM-SACD sounds pretty good to me

19. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Let us know what you think

20. GregM

GregM The expanding man

21. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

22. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

I love my paranoid SHM-SACD too. Not to wonder a hardcore vinyl head loves it, because this SACD has presence, like Lp lovers know a record should sound.

23. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Just got mine in the mail, I think it sounds amazing. Very glad I bought it!

24. Tank

Tank New Member

No record I've ever heard of Paranoid sounds like the treble boost bonanza that is the SHM-SACD. :shake:

Jeez, might as well just get the top end boosted Warner CD for $5 if you like that sound. The forum recommended versions of Paranoid like the Japan 1st press sound SOOOO much better, and a lot closer to vinyl versions I've heard.

I love the Master Of Reality SHM-SACD, but the Paranoid SHM-SACD was not well mastered to my ears.

25. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Mr Tank, I give you a lot of credit. Normally the more someone pays for a disc they more they will claim they like it. Be it a 1st press Japan CD, a ultra-rare CD, a SHM-SACD, etc. I call it the $50 effect. The higher one goes over that amount on a disc the more overwhelmingly powerful the belief it sounds great becomes and the more unwilling some are to compare it critically. I was once in that boat myself, it was not easy to regain control over the $ bias and it now makes me more upset when I feel I've wasted money - The SHM-SACD of Paranoid is one of those cases. Yes it has better "resolution" however the last thing I wanted was a hi-res treble boost fiesta.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.