Black Sabbath 'Paranoid' - CD sound comparisons

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by progmog, Jul 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

I haven't heard the twofer.

2. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Just post a link to a sample from yours and we can check.

Personally, the CS version I had seemed too bright and nothing like the 33PD. But you could have a different version or my memory isn't serving me well.

blacksabbathrainbow likes this.
  3. marcelbr

marcelbr Forum Resident

Yes, you're right. I failed to notice that when listening to War Pigs, but on Paranoid, it's pretty evident. Creative Sounds is far more trebley.

blacksabbathrainbow likes this.
  4. Zomvid

Zomvid Delicate Genius

Any new comparisons with the 2016 deluxe edition?

5. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

I only picked up the 2016 vinyl reissue

6. Gang-Twanger

Gang-Twanger Forum Resident

I have all the old WB cd's for all the old Ozzy-era albums, and for "Paranoid" especially, that's the one I like. Sounds great on my old tube setup. I tried a few of those Deluxe Edition remasters and hated them. Too much compression. The old discs are indicative of what I love about those old WB/Reprise pressings. Neil Young's "After The Gold Rush" is another favorite.

7. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

You are saying that you compared some of the deluxe editions with old WB CDs. You don't mention comparing with the old (early) UK Castles, which is where the gravy often is for Sabbath.

kevin5brown and yesstiles like this.
  8. Gang-Twanger

Yeah, I don't have any of those, unfortunately. I'll surely get the old UK Castle versions of the first two or three albums at some point, but you know how it is. We all have our priorities. The first album isn't exactly the greatest recording (soundwise), but I really enjoy the US Warner "Paranoid", although I also have a vinyl-transfer that I like a lot as well.

9. Gang-Twanger

Yeah, I don't have any of those, unfortunately. I'll surely get the old UK Castle versions of the first two or three albums at some point, but you know how it is. We all have our priorities. The first album isn't exactly the greatest recording (soundwise), but I really enjoy the US Warner "Paranoid", although I also have a vinyl-transfer that I like a lot as well.

10. Gang-Twanger

By the way, it seems that Japan got lots of hard rock titles very, very-right on the second pressing. I seem to recall a few nice AC/DC (like "Highway To Hell" and "For Those About To Rock") and Judas Priest titles if I remember correctly. I need to go through and check some of those. Been a while since I played them.

I have the first Japanese version of "Heaven And Hell". I always loved the old "We Sold Our Soul" CD. My "Paranoid" is the CD 3104 version (VERY-low-level mastering, but I still like it... Has a very-engaging, smooth, slightly-warm quality that I love... Sounds great on my tube setup... The bass sounds good too, at least on my system). My copy of the first album is the 1871-2 disc.

I just put on my 2nd Japanese pressing of "Highway To Hell". I really like this one a lot.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.