"Black Friday" Record Store Day List (2011)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hutlock, Oct 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rumdrums

rumdrums Member

Word.

2. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

ATMP was the scarcest one I encountered today. I only saw one of them, and that was the store I got to first, before it opened. I went to five other stores over the course of the morning, and none of them had it. One of them never got any to sell.

3. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

Ok, so now I'm curious. How does the song order compare to the 33 1/3 version? There was four songs on each side of that one except one side had three (I believe).

4. surfingelectrode

surfingelectrode Active Member

It's the same.

5. Jon Busey-Hunt

Jon Busey-Hunt Forum Resident

Seriously? You're saying a Mati Klarwein painting -- one of his absolute best, but see also: Abraxas and Bitches Brew -- is terrible??

"I was gonna buy Sgt. Pepper but MAN, that stupid ALBUM COVER. Who are all those people??" </hoffmanboard>

6. surfingelectrode

"In an interview with Conny Lindström and Peter Holmlund, Mati mentions that he was working on a painting for a record cover to an album that was never finished, a collaboration between Jimi Hendrix and Gil Evans. "Unfortunately Jimi died during the recordings and it was never released"."

7. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

5PM : The little store in Fort Lauderdale sold-out all of their Doors LPs. He said they had about 20. There were about 10 or more Harrison ATMP LP boxes left. Several Dylan & Springsteen singles, Metallica CDs/LPs, Hendrix 10" eps, still available. I didn't see any U2.

8. RedRaider99

RedRaider99 Forum Resident

I think the limited quantity for a U2 item was counter-productive to what Record Store Day was supposed to achieve. If you are looking for something like this, you are forced to run in and out of each store in the area hoping to get to the next store in time to find a copy. At the end of the day, I have no U2 record, and did not have any time to spend in any one indie store browsing for add'l purchases, and U2 didn't sell as many copies as they could have, so it seems like a lose, lose, lose result. Making this a well-stocked release for indie-only stores would have been a much better idea for a band like U2. As a fan who buys everything they put out and pays $250/ticket to see them in concert, I feel really burned by this promo.

9. mcenters

mcenters Forum Resident

You are not the only one. I went to a local record store an hour before they opened today knowing the ATMP was gonna be a tough buy. I was the second guy in line and the guy in front of me bought two copies of the U2 (the only 2 copies the store had). The guy behind me was not pleased. He walked a block down to another record store close by to find that they did not have any copies. Bad. Luck.

It was weak of U2 to release such a limited run. I had a feeling a chunk of their fan base was pissed today!

10. RedRaider99

RedRaider99 Forum Resident

Wow... the store let one guy buy both of their copies?! Not cool.

11. mcenters

mcenters Forum Resident

Yeah, it was sketchy. The guys friend stood next to him and he pretended to buy 2 copies for the both of em when clearly his friend looked non interested. I wouldn't be surprised to see them on ebay.

12. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

krlpuretone is a record dealer. His post was talking about customers (or the lack there of) for these items. You were addressing him as if he is complaining about the vinyl. I believe he carries a lot of RSD stuff and I believe I've seen him offer extras to forum members as well. So I think he supports RSD.

Maybe you just picked his post out by mistake???

13. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I see nothing wrong with picking up more than one copy. It is first come first served. The record store just wants to get rid of the stuff. You can't pick and choose your customers when you serve the general public. You still have record store owners on this site with stock left from RSD in April. I live in North Dakota and have picked up items for another Forum Member that lives in Florida and doesn't have any indies around him to buy this stuff. Also as I've said in a previous post the distribution of this stuff blows. Some stores get 20 copies of something and others get 1. Supply definitely does not meet demand on RSD ever.

:shrug:

14. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Just wait a couple weeks until the new year and pick one up for $20-30 range.

U2 have done very limted cd singles and 45 releases for 25+ years. 4-Play, One Tree Hill(NZ only?), Wild Horses cd single(?) and Elevation 10,000 single.

15. surfingelectrode

One of my stores still has: "about a third of the Black Friday releases including one Black Crowes 10 picture disc, one Metallica at Grimeys two Mono Doors (first album)and one each of the Dylan, Petty and Slayer 45s, one Southern Culture on the Skids lp, One All Things Must Pass,One Badly Drawn Boy LP 2 MGMT and 3 Soundgarden 45s and the Roky Erickson DVD.No more Black Keys or U2 lps and the Bruce 45s are all gone."

16. Amcrebelfan

Amcrebelfan Forum Resident

My store didn't have anything left all I got was the The Doors album, wanted the Roky dvd but it got snatched up quickly as well as the dylan. I won't pay the ebay prices that they are going for so I am outta luck I guess.

17. Amcrebelfan

I missed the Hendrix as well, my local store got 1 of the stuff they did get and they didn't get all of it. I don't know if he got the hendrix or not but I walked in 3rd and never found it.

18. LordThanos1969

All the six stores I went to in Phoenix had a one copy per customer policy, and I think that is a good idea. I disagree about record stores just wanting to get rid of the exclusive stuff. Record Store Day is an opportunity for record stores to get customers into their doors and hopefully having them want to return for future business. If they just want to get rid of stuff, they can how a blowout sale or go out of business altogether.

19. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

The Roky and Black Angels was just an advance sale of the regular release coming out in January, I believe. So you will get it...

20. Amcrebelfan

Thanks for the information, that is great news.

21. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Also, I think all things considered, the absolutely RAREST of all the RSD releases this time around was the Dr. Dog 2x 7" set.

22. leeroy jenkins

leeroy jenkins Forum Resident

This U2 thing is all over ebay commanding ridiculous prices.

23. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

:hide:

I hope I don't get killed for this, but I found everything I was looking for-- U2, Springsteen 7", Sinatra Jolly Christmas, ATMP, and the Sharon Jones/Dap-Kings 7" box set-- all at one store. I was out the door less than five minutes after they opened.

24. LordThanos1969

No need to kill anyone here :laugh:. The key is that you got to the store before they opened. If you went to a store that got any kind of quantities, you could get what you wanted as long you were one of the first in. I waited outside Zia Records in Phoenix on Indian School Rd. for about 10 minutes until they opened. I was not the first in, but I was the first and only to get ATMP ;).

25. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Good for you! It's nice to hear a success story every once in a while.

:cheers:

I got everything I wanted almost; Harrison ATMP, Petty and Dylan. I let the guy who came in behind me have the U2 as he really wanted it. The only thing I didn't get was the Hendrix record, they didn't get any in. I was still happy and didn't overspend which is always a good thing.

I also bought Ted Nugent S/T Remaster CD with bonus tracks and a really cheesy Blue Oyster Cult Best Of type CD to play in the car. It has 2 TV mixes as bonus tracks, one is Don't Fear The Reaper with no vocals so I can listen to myself sound crappy by myself. :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.