"Black Friday" Record Store Day List (2011)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hutlock, Oct 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

I picked up the following this morning:

Tom Petty - Nowhere 7" #5000
    Black Crowes - Bad Guys/Remedy 10" picture disk
    MGMT - Congratualtions, Limited 7" edition
    Gaslight Anthem - Tumbling Dice 45
    Cee Lo Green - F You 12 inch
    Dr. Dog - Double 7"

Also picked up:

Pearl Jam - Amoungst the Waves 7" green vinyl #0828

Noticed that the Black Keys vinyl is indeed on 180G and 45 rpm. Different than the original release which was the lighter vinyl on 33 1/3, thought maybe that was a typo when I first saw it listed. Felt nice and heavy, almost pulled the trigger on that set but just hate buying it twice.

2. KenJ

KenJ Forum Resident

I saw everything but the Hendrix and U2 (not receive by the 3 stores I visited)...only wanted the u2 so I passed on RSD items...although I abought a 1979 UK 12" U2 single.

I was tempted by Dlyan, Petty, & Springsteen 45's but aren't all those songs on the recent album re-issues? It seemed rendundent.

I'm thinking about the Doors Mono since my original is beat....any comments on the sound?

I would recommend against repeating this promotion next year. Black Friday is a madhouse shopping day for bargin hunters rushing from place to place. Other than those zooming in & out looking for the u2 12" I didn't see much action....I think many are too busy chasing door buster clothes and electronics and doing list shopping to enjoy a good RSD.

RSD should be a day focused on enjoying shopping for music, hanging out in store, exploring various promotional releases, etc. A great day during a time of year w/o competition. Mixing it with Christmas shopping and the focus on the few very limited items few will get misses the point. If you want to push holiday items then another weekend would have been better.

I think they should focus on printing roughly enough to match demand that day...those who get there reasonably early get what they want but it doesn't sit around for days and probably sells out by late day. The really rare (made for ebay) stuff promotes the run in - run out, buy for resale, push and shove aspects sometimes found on Black Friday....

3. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Good question. I'd like to know as well. I'm gonna guess and say digital.

4. davers

davers Forum Resident

Some very good points; basically confirmed by krlpureotone's post #73 above regarding his store.

5. Two of the 3 Calgary record shops participating today in Black Friday Record Store day got a couple/3 copies each of the Doors - s/t mono Rhino LP.

Today I purchased:

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - "Nowhere" / "Surrender" 45 - (No. 1153).
    U2 - Wide Awake In Europe (No. 3986).

I thnk I might have got the only copy of the U2 12 inch in town. The other two stores I was at didn't get stock The store, The Inner Sleeve also had 20% of on all used vinyl. So I also picked up:

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Damn The Torpoedoes for $4.60 (VG++)
    Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Let Me Up (I've Had Enough for $7. (still sealed) :righton:
    Chuck Berry - More Rock 'N' Roll Rarities - SH mastered 2 LP set for $18.30.

[​IMG]

The Inner Sleeve only got one copy of the Hendrix green vinyl. It was already gone when I arrived. None of the 3 stores got stock on the George Harrison - ATMP LP set.

6. One_L

One_L Forum Resident

The Black Keys Brother LP is 45 rpm. Even the 10" Lp is 45RPM. The package is white with black letters. (the Cd is black w/white lettering.

7. PatrickO'Donnell

PatrickO'Donnell Active Member

Pretty sure RSD items are non-returnable - I've heard complaints from various people about this in conjunction with how vague the item descriptions they're given.

I am happy that stores can generally count on a big business day when RSD rolls around (it seems to be a lot of stores' biggest day of the year), but I do wonder if it hasn't gotten out of hand really quickly. The major labels in particular are really flooding the market with cruddy/redundant/etc. product.

8. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

Stopped by My Mind's Eye in Lakewood at about 2:30 today. Picked up pantera, DBT single. Passed on Cee Lo ($13 too much for me for 1 song). He had a lot of copies of the Metallica. Wanted to pick up Soundgarden and Grinderman but he didn't have any.

My son and I were the only ones in the store.

Also picked up Mike Patton's Mondo Cane and got complimented on my Dictators shirt. :thumbsup:

9. serge

serge Forum Resident

Just a terrible idea to have this on Black Friday.

I mean I'd like to go to a record store but with the grandparents visiting its just not even possible.. I didn't even try....grrrrrrrrrrr...

10. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

There were quite a few people browsing at my local indie store this afternoon. They had plenty of copies of the only RSD item I was really interested in, the Roky DVD (not surprisingly, given the local connection with Roky & the Elevators), and they also were restocking the box of 7" RSD exclusives next to the register - I spotted multiple copies of the MGMT 7" and was tempted but decided to pass.

Also wound up getting a couple of other non-RSD discs: Eno's Small Craft on a Milk Sea and the expanded edition of The National's High Violet.

11. surfingelectrode

surfingelectrode Active Member

The 10" was pressed by Record Industry and not Pallas and, consequently, sounds like sh-t.

12. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

The guys at my store always have problems getting stock.

1 Petty
    2 Dylan
    2 Springsteen
    1 U2
    1 Harrison ATMP Box
    6 Metallica

That was it. They always ask for more but usually get only 1 to 3 items or none at all. I don't feel bad for the places that get stuck with stock because they obviously ordered too much. No one forced them to get 20 copies of a particular item that they couldn't sell. You read about it here all the time; someone goes to 4 stores before they finally find what they were looking for or go home empty handed. Where someone else will say hey such and such a place has 25 copies of the John Lennon Singles Bag. The distribution of some of these items is way out of line.

I only have one store in my town, I know a lot of you have none. I go in on average 3 times a week to browse, talk and buy. They hold items for me and order what they can. They seem to get shorted every Record Store Day.

Good luck to all on your RSD quest.

:cheers:

13. celtic1

celtic1 New Member

Lets see. You guys love vinyl but don't want these promotions? No one is forcing you to go or not go. Stay home and the rest of us can get the goods. We should be celebrating that vinyl is back to some extent and feel lucky they are having these type of days.

I got the Springsteen, Dylan, Hendrix and Frank. I call that a good day. Happy listening!

14. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

He's a record dealer... talking about the shoppers.

15. celtic1

celtic1 New Member

Not quite. I work at Boeing. Maybe you sell digital downloads....

16. dustybooks

dustybooks rabbit advocate

Yeah, I agree. I love MGMT (on Columbia), and their new album especially, but I glanced at that 7" and just couldn't see what was worth $8 or whatever.

Gravity here in town had one of those awesome Sharon Jones 45 boxes left as of about 3:30. I bet that thing rocks, but it's $50...

17. lpecucci

lpecucci Member

Got the Roky dvd & Hendrix 10" (cool green vinyl!)....wanted the Dylan 45 but no dice at the 2 shops I visited.....

didnt notice any extra traffic at the stores I was in,I dont think anyone there was there for this stuff....

18. sf74

sf74 Active Member

Got everything that I was looking for (that was actually released today)

Cee Lo
    Metallica
    Parlophone Box Set
    Slayer
    The Gaslight Anthem

I was kind of laughing at the folks scrambling to buy the U2 12" because I saw it being sold in a shop about 3 weeks ago.

19. Engineer X

Engineer X Forum Resident

Listening now, very tasty. Not an audiophile release, but sounds even better at 45 RPM

20. surfingelectrode

...Wait until you put on the 10". :(

21. Engineer X

That's next. I'll let you know in 20 min. The double 12" sounds superb, and ultra quiet

22. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

U2 seems to be the hot potato from this batch on ebay.

Topped out at $200(cheeky early bird listers and nutso fans) and now it's around $80. Next week it'll be $50 and before new years it should be back in the $20-30 range.

My gut feeling is that the numbering is a bit of a bluff, though even 10,000 is a tiny number for u2. Their crowd don't seem to be as nutso about vinyl as other groups.

23. Engineer X

My 10" is not bad on side one, has a slight lip warp that makes noise. Vinyl is quiet, but nowhere the same fidelity of the 12". Side 2 is not as good.

Where I am scratching my head is the original 33 rpm is 2LP, and the 45 rpm is 2LP. You do the Math. There is plenty of bottom on the 45 rpm, so I don't know where they are skimping to fit it all.

24. lennon_08518

lennon_08518 Forum Resident

I tried to get the ATMP box today. My local indie store did not get any. I guess it's off to ebay. I should have just stayed home and went on the computer. Now I know for the next RSD.

25. surfingelectrode

I just don't understand why Nonesuch had Pallas press the LPs and Record Industry do the 10". It's kind of a shame.

I've got no clue, though. The album is 55 minutes long, so it's too long for a single LP at 33, but not too long for 2LPs at 45.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.