Billy Joel's The Stranger: different CD masterings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ricks, Apr 21, 2008.

1. A Local Bloke

A Local Bloke Forum President

I picked up a used Canadian CD WCK 34987. Is this one alright?

Also, what about the original Storm Front and River Of Dreams CDs? I think I've got those too.

2. EstimatedEngineer

EstimatedEngineer Well-Known Member

I am wondering about this one as well. It appears to be a gray mastering from the chart, sharing the same numbers as CSCS 6016 DPA-367

3. EstimatedEngineer

BTW I just compared a bunch of versions. I will not comment on the ones not mentioned here, but I did try all 4 different masters and I enjoyed the Blue and Gray equally as much. I found the orange too bright and the green too dull. YMMV

4. strippies

strippies Forum Resident

Blue and Gray are made from the same AD transfer, digitally edited slightly differently, but with the same EQ. I call them the same mastering.

EstimatedEngineer likes this.
  5. WiWavelength

WiWavelength Forum Resident

That is the first digital mastering found on the 1982 35DP gold tone and some subsequent 35DP matrix pressings. It is a mastering with pre-emphasis. De-emphasis must be applied, or improper frequency response will result.

AJ

ricks and EstimatedEngineer like this.
  6. EstimatedEngineer

Well, I guess i can trust my ears because I liked them equally as much. I had a hard time differentiating them, for good reason! Thanks for the clarification!!
    Thanks! I am a bit confused because I thought it was only the Gold-tinted disk with 1A1 in the matrix that had pre-emphasis, not the 81A3, but it would make sense, considering how bright it is. The funny thing is that the Silver Tinted 101A1 sounded the most dull of all of them.

7. WiWavelength

WiWavelength Forum Resident

Well, matrix 81A3 is right there in orange on the chart. And pre-emphasis mastering is not limited to just -2 1A1 crude font gold tone and 81A3 neat font. Bare minimum, I have -2 1A3 crude font, -2 1A7 crude font, 81 neat font, and 81A3 neat font -- all with the original pre-emphasis mastering. And I have 101A1 +++++ without pre-emphasis. Cutoff and transition to the second digital mastering is at or some point after 81A3 neat font.

AJ

EstimatedEngineer likes this.
  8. Vincent3

Vincent3 Forum Resident

Here's an update on the masterings I've heard. I listened to all three masterings through my Audio Technica MSR7 headphones plugged into my ASUS Essence STR-II sound card on hi-fi setting.

MFSL redbook layer - Clear, smooth, energetic, atmospheric. Well worth the premium.
    1998 - Compressed to the point of glaring. All peaks 99.8. Maybe a good choice if listening through earbuds in loud areas.
    "blue" - I listened to this one a long time ago, but I distinctly remember it sounding dull - and not just when comparing it to anything else. As soon as I heard it, I knew I'd be looking for a better mastering.

I have around ten albums remastered by MFSL and was considering selling them and replacing them with the best mainstream mastering. After hearing the Stranger on MFSL again (I intended to do some quick comparison listening, but ended up kicking back and listening to the whole album), I won't be replacing this one or most of my other MFSLs.

EstimatedEngineer and George P like this.
  9. Sebastich

Sebastich Senior Member

Hi! :wave:
    So we might say that 1). and 5). are identical?
    Apparently

10. Sebastich

Sebastich Senior Member

At least In this entry,

11. Vinylbeast

Vinylbeast But does it sound good?

I have the 32DP release also, I think it sounds pretty good, no other digital copy to compare to tho. It should be added as additional matrix on the chart with the DPA-367.

1987 Billy Joel- The Stranger
    32DP-654 11A1 +++++

Track 01 88.0%
    Track 02 92.3%
    Track 03 78.0%
    Track 04 98.3%
    Track 05 92.1%
    Track 06 89.2%
    Track 07 40.4%
    Track 08 83.4%
    Track 09 79.2%