Billy Joel's The Stranger: different CD masterings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ricks, Apr 21, 2008.

1. princesskiki

princesskiki Kiki's Mom

I would be interested in the result of your comparison against the SACDs.

2. ricks

ricks Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks Scott.

Apologies but as the OP that is totally against what my intentions for this particular thread are. For some reason the first 4-5 few posts in this thread seem to be absent, maybe they never made the copy over to the new forum software? Who knows it was a few years back when I started the thread, but it really looks as if it starts mid-way through a conversation.

3. LouChang

LouChang her brother (but nobody's bro)

Would someone please post DR meter values for the various CD masterings? I'm especially interested in the orange and green versions on the chart in post #53.

Thanks!

4. LouChang

5. George P

George P Notable Member

Many thanks for this, Rick!!

I just scored a copy of the Japan for US 35DP-2 matrix in the classifieds!

6. ricks

Nice matrix info from another thread:

princesskiki likes this.
  7. After extensive A/B comparisons of every CD (and it's mastering), as well as the MFSL SACD, mentioned in this thread, my final conclusion of which CD mastering I prefer most over all the others, is the 2nd Japan mastering, which will clock in at 42:49. It is the mastering listed in the GREEN boxes in the chart provided throughout this thread.

Here are the CD pressings which will have this 2nd Japan mastering (taken from KeithH's list in post #27)...

2. Catalog number 35DP 2, aluminum on label side, matrix code is "35DP-2 91A2" in neat font, "CSR COMPACT DISC" repeating in plastic ring: Total time = 42:49

3. Catalog number 35DP 2, aluminum on label side, matrix code is "35DP-2 101A2 +++++" in neat font, "CSR COMPACT DISC" repeating in plastic ring: Total time = 42:49

6. Catalog number CK 34987, Japanese CBS/Sony pressing, matrix code is "35DP-2 101A2 +++++" in neat font, no text stamped on plastic ring: Total time = 42:49

8. Catalog number CK 34987, Austrian DADC pressing, matrix code is "DIDP-050002 12A2": Total time = 42:49

9. Catalog number CDCBS 82311, Japanese CBS/Sony pressing for Europe, matrix code is "35DP-2 101A4 +++++" in neat font, no text stamped on plastic ring: Total time = 42:49

A very close second choice is the original Sony SACD (both Stereo and MC layers).

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  8. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Do you like it better than the Sony SACD?

9. I addressed the Sony SACD in the last sentence of my post above. But to answer your question here, yes, I do.

10. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I have an early USA for USA CBS cd with a matrix that reads "Disc Manufactured By Disctronics" which runs 42:49 and features the "Japan 2nd Mastering."

princesskiki likes this.
  11. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

What's the MOFI one like? The last one I bought was the 30th Anniversary one. Not generally highly though of...

12. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

My copy is #6

13. Then you are good to go!

Chris C likes this.
  14. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Perhaps a bit off topic. I understand that many early CBS/Sony CDs with Gold tint have different mastering than the silver counterparts.
    Is it safe to say this rule applies to almost every title?

15. princesskiki

princesskiki Kiki's Mom

Hi. It is more complicated. Most of the gold tint first Japan-for-Japan CBS/Sony discs shares the same mastering as at least one later pressing on the non-gold tint Japan-for-Japan. Where the different mastering (or just different sound) started happening was sometime in the second half of '83 or early '84 (probably more like '83) when CBS/Sony started using a different analog to digital converter (or different digital mastering chain or something like that). Basically, CBS/Sony's digital mastering just got better starting in the second half of '83. Therefore, if a given title that first came out in late '82 or early '83 was still being pressed (i.e., still in print) later in '83 or later and they decided to take advantage of this "different" mastering process or equipment, then the later pressing tends to sound better than the original gold tint or an earlier silver tint.

yasujiro likes this.
  16. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Thank you for the explanations, Kiki!
    JFYI, in Japan it is widely said that the world's very first REmastered CD was late Eiich Otaki's A LONG VACATION (CBS/Sony 35DH1) which was initially issued on October 1982, as one of the world premier CD releases. The peak level of the first issue (gold tinted, of course) was limited to -20db. Then the second issue (silver tint) was remastered with level shifted up to 0db in 1983. However it was claimed as being distorted and the third issue (also silver tinted with adding number on the label) was made with -16db peak level.

ajyana and princesskiki like this.
  17. LouChang

I found a Japan for US (orange boxes in the chart) mastering. The disc has a Made in Japan sticker on its face at 3 o'clock. The DR dynamic range values are:
    13 15 15 14 15 15 13 14 15
    disc score 14

Of course, this mastering has pre-emphasis so after deemph processing with SoX the DR values are:
    12 13 14 13 13 14 12 13 14
    disc score 13

This is another of those pesky discs where the PE is in the subcode but not the TOC.

The only other CD version I have of this album is the Jensen remaster, but I prefer this older CD.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  18. John Grimes

John Grimes Forum Resident

Damn, I can't afford one of those nice early Japan masterings but, I'm confused. There are the CBS silver disc With the CK 34987,,,oh hell, I can't remember and then the columbia with the same matrix. Which one of those would be better for me? I just want to own the album, I have many of the others, 52nd Street, Glass Houses, etc. Thanks.

19. Look at the first chart in post #53. The CD's with the mastering called out in the Green columns, are the ones you should focus on.

20. John Grimes

Thanks, but I'm not using a computer, I use my phone app for this forum so, it doesn't tell me numbers for the post.

21. John Grimes

One question, CBS or Columbia? I took photos but, they won't let me upload.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  22. George P

George P Notable Member

23. princesskiki

princesskiki Kiki's Mom

I don't know if the label changed from CBS to Columbia in the 90's or later, but we are all talking about the EARLY CD pressings, meaning CBS. CBS was just one of the Columbia family of record labels in the 80's in the U.S.

John Grimes likes this.
  24. You will be looking for an original (pre remaster), with the disc either being made in Japan, or the U.S., and will have a total running time of 42:49. The U.S. CD will be much easier to find. It will most likely be a DADC manufactured CD, and will have either a stamped matrix code in the inner hub, or a laser etched matrix code with a bar code in the inner hub. Again, the most important thing is the total time of 42:49.

John Grimes likes this.
  25. ricks

There is a nice harder to find orange column one in the classifieds for $15
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/billy-joel-the-stranger-japan-for-us-35dp-2-101a2-nm.359581/

The plain ol' US stock versions in the green column in my area can be found for $3 or less...Can't imagine it being too much more anywhere else. This is a ultra-common disc no reason to spend more if you only want a listening copy.

[​IMG]