Billy Joel's The Stranger: different CD masterings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ricks, Apr 21, 2008.

1. ricks

ricks Senior Member Thread Starter

Hi, are there any markings in the plastic hub?

2. Bertly

Bertly Senior Member

No, nothing on the plastic hub area.

3. ricks

Thanks.

Final chart, unless another mastering is found.

Attached Files:

4. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

What are the sound differences on these different masterings? Thanks.

5. ricks

Over the weekend did blind a/b shootout with an old buddy.

We used the 3 different masterings:
    Japan for Japan 35DP Silver
    Japan for US 35DP-2 matrix (35DP-2 Gold Mastering)
    Japan for US 10 Track

We felt that the Japan for US 35DP-2 matrix (35DP-2 Gold Mastering) edged out the Japan for Japan 35DP Silver and the Japan for US 10 Track came in 3rd (a little muddier than the other 2 discs).

So another case where the less expensive disc prevailed at least for us.

6. My dad's European pressing has the following peak levels (CBS 450914, made in Austria)

Track 1: 80.2%
    Track 2: 84.1%
    Track 3: 71.2%
    Track 4: 89.6%
    Track 5: 84.0%
    Track 6: 81.3%
    Track 7: 36.8%
    Track 8: 76.0%
    Track 9: 72.3%

Same as US for US (CK34987).

The matrix is: CDCBS-82311 43 A3

7. John Hatter

John Hatter Senior Member

I have 1B CK34987 10 B

Sleeve says "Record Manufctured in Japan for CBs/Sony"

immediately underneath that it says

"Manufactured by CBS Records..... NY"

Is that a Japan for US ??

I'm in the UK and picked it up on UK Ebay.

8. pdovore

pdovore Forum Resident

Not wanting to flog "The Stranger" even further, I thought it interesting to add that I have a "Songs In The Attic" with crude matrix 35DP-19-4 1A1 BUT it is a silver disc.
    Perhaps there exists a run of 35DP-2 1A1's that are silver but have same mastering as the gold tinted copy.

Had to add this :)

9. pdovore

pdovore Forum Resident

BTW - it's a Japan for Japan 1A1 copy to clear up any confusion

10. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Well, that's a very subjective question. You'll not get a definitive answer. The 1998 remaster is good, but it's a little loud. The old, non-remastered US cd is better imo. It's not as loud and it sounds a bit smoother. And it's easy to find :)

11. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Thanks, I was about to ask for European issues. I wonder how the Japan-for-Europe disc compares.

12. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

maybe I can add something, I just got my copy today.

Tha Stranger -

Matrix: 35DP-2-2 1A3 (crude matrix)

same mastering as the Gold cd, but its not Gold.

Hub: Manu by CBS/Sony Records Inc.

best part...... I got it for $10 + $3 shipping in Exc Condition, cant find issues with art. still in original PP smooth jewel case thats in nice shape. I thought I was getting a japan for US and was suprised when I opened the package it was a 3/4 blackface. :D

13. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

BTW: how gold is the gold tinted disc? mine looks gold at certain angles and silver in another.

14. slinkyfarm

slinkyfarm Forum Resident

I found a US pressing today with another matrix matching the 42:36 US-for-US version:
    1B CK34987 16 C2

Inside the hub on the other side, it's marked "CMU P 98". As mentioned above, all the packaging erroneously says manufactured in Japan, but there's no specification on the disc itself. Just thought I'd add that to the list...

15. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

So I have a J4J 1A1 pressing, not gold, which (as you'd expect) matches the orange levels in the chart. I also have a DADC J4USA disc which has the green levels. I've not done a listening comparison with them yet.

What I really wonder is if these two mastering are essentially the same, but with and without pre-emphasis. (There's obviously a level change too, otherwise I'd expect the non-PE disc to have lower levels.) Back in those early days, since PE was applied at the very end of the mastering process, you'd think that they'd be re-using the same source, just without the PE switch.

16. gsvarney

gsvarney Forum Resident

I am looking for the best Stranger CD I can find and afford. I have located a couple of choices so far. One is a Canadian release. All I can get on it from the seller is the following information:

The number surrounding the inner hole is 1B CK34987 20 C3. The only other number I can see is 'WCK 34987'

I can't find any useful info anywhere on what the first data there means.

Does anyone know if this is an older master or one of the newer ones, and either way, is this a good disc?

Thanks

17. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

Mine is a 1B 34987 06 with nothing else but random blocks (like a UPC code sort of pattern) on the hub. It clocks in 1t 42:36, and says Mfg. in Japan by CBS/SOny in Tokyo...I assume this is the same as the other matrixes with the unique 42:36 time.

18. So, the gold-tinted 35DP 2 mastering (orange-brownish color in the table with 42:38 total timing) is supposedly the best sounding digital version?

How rare is that gold-tinted 35DP 2 version? I have one which still has the original case with the very long single stopper bar (it's my only CD with such a jewel case).

19. ricks

Hi Roland,

For CD I did feel the gold mastering was a bit better than the silver, but digitally the SACD is my go to disc.

20. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

I just bought this today for $3.97 My numbers match those above, plus there's CMU P99 on the plastic inner hub. The silver face has the 'Family Productions with what looks like pups underneath their 4 teated mama dog/hyena ? Under the CK 34987 there's the DIDP 050002 number as well.

Total time of 42:36

The back also has the Record manufactured in Japan and underneath that the Manufactured by CBS Records. There is a barcode with 7464 34987 - 2 on the back of the inner booklet and case backing.

About to listen to it. SOOOOO many different identifying numbers on these. It seems really crazy.

21. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Just bought 'The Stranger' Legacy Edition today at my local Ma&Pa, sealed, for $8.99 !

Randy just wanted to clear it out I guess.

Can't wait to hear the live disc and the mastering on the original release.

22. danfaz

danfaz New Member

My Stranger has the following details, that I don't think are on the chart:

Catalog # (on disc face)

CK 34987
    DIDP 50002

Matrix (neat letters) 35DP-2 101A1 +++++
    The hub has "CSR Compact Disc" repeated.

Peak levels: 72.4,69.5,68.5,75.6,74.9,86.6,52.5,78.3,76.8

Looks like a combo of the Japan for Japan and US for US on the chart.

23. I've been doing some comparison listening of my copies of Billy Joel 'The Stranger', and I have come to the conclusion that I most prefer the CD which has the 2nd 35DP-2 japan mastering (GREEN box peak levels).

princesskiki likes this.
  24. Did you include the new MFSL mastering as well in your comparison?

25. No, I wanted to keep it within the pressings discussed throughout this thread. I have the MFSL SACD, as well as the Sony MC SACD, but I wasn't sure if I should comment on those in this thread.