Billy Joel's The Stranger: different CD masterings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ricks, Apr 21, 2008.

1. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

just "P 42"

nothing else.

no prob! I assumed I was gonna have the japan mastering and it got me curious. was suprised when it was not.

2. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I checked the total times on my early pressings of The Stranger. Here are the results:

1. Catalog number 35DP 2, gold on label side, matrix code is "35DP-2-2 1A1" in a very crude font, "MANUFACTURED BY CBS/SONY RECORDS INC." on plastic ring: Total time = 42:38

2. Catalog number 35DP 2, aluminum on label side, matrix code is "35DP-2 91A2" in neat font, "CSR COMPACT DISC" repeating in plastic ring: Total time = 42:49

3. Catalog number 35DP 2, aluminum on label side, matrix code is "35DP-2 101A2 +++++" in neat font, "CSR COMPACT DISC" repeating in plastic ring: Total time = 42:49

4. Catalog number CK 34987, Japanese CBS/Sony pressing, matrix code is "35DP-2-2 1A7" in crude font, "CSR COMPACT DISC" repeating in plastic ring, "MADE IN JAPAN" sticker at 3 o'clock: Total time = 42:38

5. Catalog number CK 34987, Japanese CBS/Sony pressing, matrix code is "35DP-2 81A3" in neat font, "CSR COMPACT DISC" repeating in plastic ring: Total time = 42:38

6. Catalog number CK 34987, Japanese CBS/Sony pressing, matrix code is "35DP-2 101A2 +++++" in neat font, no text stamped on plastic ring: Total time = 42:49

7. Catalog number CK 34987, later U.S. pressing, matrix code is "1B CK34987 12 B": Total time = 42:36

8. Catalog number CK 34987, Austrian DADC pressing, matrix code is "DIDP-050002 12A2": Total time = 42:49

9. Catalog number CDCBS 82311, Japanese CBS/Sony pressing for Europe, matrix code is "35DP-2 101A4 +++++" in neat font, no text stamped on plastic ring: Total time = 42:49

I have three different masterings, represented by total times of 42:38 (1st mastering), 42:49 (2nd mastering), and 42:36 (3rd mastering). More specifically, I have two different masterings for catalog number 35DP 2 and three different masterings for catalog number CK 34987. The CDCBS 82311 disc has the second mastering (42:49).

It is clear that my discs fall into categories provided by ricks:

* My discs with a total time of 42:38 represent the first mastering and are color coded in orange in ricks' chart.

* My discs with a total time of 42:49 represent the second mastering and are color coded in green in ricks' chart.

* My later U.S. pressing with a total time of 42:36 is represented in ricks' chart down to the exact matrix code and is shown in blue in the chart.

In comparing my discs to those shown in ricks' chart, a notable difference is that I have Japanese CBS/Sony pressings with catalog number CK 34987 with two different masterings, whereas the chart only accounts for one mastering. The chart does not list such a pressing in the green section.

3. ricks

ricks Senior Member Thread Starter

I will add times into the chart. My rare(?) 10 track, Japan for US clocks in at 42:32. Anyone else out there have the 10 track? The artwork indicates 9, so you will have to put in your CD player or computer.

It's also interesting that both the 35DP-2 masterings were used for US for US disc's.

Rick

P.S. Keith, do you mean 42:49 or 42:39 ?

2. Catalog number 35DP 2, aluminum on label side, matrix code is "35DP-2 91A2" in neat font, "CSR COMPACT DISC" repeating in plastic ring: Total time = 42:49

* My discs with a total time of 42:39 represent the second mastering and are color coded in green in ricks' chart.

4. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

OK... it's not gold-tinted.

Catalog # CBS/Sony 35DP 2
    Matrix # 35DP-2 101A1 +++++

NOTE: These values match those reported by Christian...

Track 1

Filename C:\01 Movin' Out (Anthony's Song).wav

Peak level 74.2 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy CRC 795C921E
    Copy OK

Track 2

Filename C:\02 The Stranger.wav

Peak level 69.5 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy CRC F2108ABD
    Copy OK

Track 3

Filename C:\03 Just The Way You Are.wav

Peak level 68.5 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy CRC 60DAAE75
    Copy OK

Track 4

Filename C:\04 Scenes From An Italian Restaurant.wav

Peak level 75.6 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy CRC 30262896
    Copy OK

Track 5

Filename C:\05 Vienna.wav

Peak level 74.9 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy CRC 83CC8D6A
    Copy OK

Track 6

Filename C:\06 Only The Good Die Young.wav

Peak level 86.6 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy CRC FC0B3BD6
    Copy OK

Track 7

Filename C:\07 She's Always A Woman.wav

Peak level 52.5 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy CRC 663C7308
    Copy OK

Track 8

Filename C:\08 Get It Right The First Time.wav

Peak level 78.3 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy CRC 8ECA6AFD
    Copy OK

Track 9

Filename C:\09 Everybody Has A Dream.wav

Peak level 76.8 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy CRC A8AE7615
    Copy OK

No errors occurred

End of status report

5. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

If it adds anything, the CSCS 6016 disc I have (in the grey column) is a blackface disc with silver lettering.

I don't see them posted (maybe in another thread), but someone said that my numbers matched the 32DP disc.

Can we do 52nd Street next?

Sebastich likes this.
  6. crispynz1

crispynz1 Forum Resident

My matrix is 35DP-2 101 standard silver

7. ivan_wemple

I'm in. And then we'll do 35DP-3, 35DP-4, 35DP-5, etc....

Heck, we could probably skip 35DP-4, as I'm not sure there's much interest in that title. :angel:

8. crispynz1

crispynz1 Forum Resident

With regard to Piano Man, IIRC somebody said the 35DP had the same levels as the US pressed disc. So maybe the same for that title as this one.

9. KeithH

ricks, I meant 42:49. I actually had made the correction before seeing your post. You were quick to catch it!

10. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

EAC reports TT on this disc to be 42:34:37 or 42:34.

11. KeithH

I checked total times on a Philips boombox. It was convenient.

12. ivan_wemple

OK. Obvious next question...

Which disc sounds better? The Japan for Japan 35DP-2 with the "gold tint", or the later "non-tinted" 35DP-2?

Keith, I believe it's all on you... as you've reported owning both.

SOONERFAN likes this.
  13. ricks

Now that I have 3 of these masterings (both 35DP's and the 10 Track Japan for US). Some blind a/b's are in order. Although I'm thinking maybe I should wait and see if more masterings are discoverd :) . Hopefully I'll be able to do the compare in the near future.

As for doing 52st, Piano Man, Turnstiles, etc next, sure. However on 52st, I only have the SACD so I won't be of much help, although I'd be glad to maintain the chart. As for the others albums I have multiple pressings. In any case the next one should have a dedicated thread.

Rick

14. scocs

scocs Forum Resident

With regard to Piano Man, IIRC somebody said the 35DP had the same levels as the US pressed disc. So maybe the same for that title as this one.

Nope. The Japan for US 35DP Piano Man and the US for US Piano Man have different masterings. I have 'em both.....and the 35DP is superior!

15. ricks

I have the Japan for US (35DP-109 21) matrix and a US for US (early DADC DIDP 50109 11A6) of Piano Man as well and mine have the exact same EAC peak values / same mastering. In any case before we go on, this will be best served with another thread, as it's has the possibility of being confusing...So to be continued. Now we can resume beating the Stranger to death :)

Rick

HAmmer likes this.
  16. ricks

Updated, maybe final (???) chart.

Attached Files:

17. scocs

scocs Forum Resident

To be honest, I didn't do an EAC check since I wasn't home when I wrote my last post. There's a good chance that they are the same, so it might come down to a pressing difference.

18. ricks

No prob, buddy. It may very well be that you have a US for US with a different mastering than my early DADC. This Stranger thread has taught us that a multitude of masterings may exist :)

Rick

19. evad

evad Well-Known Member

So...... which version sounds the best?

:hide:

John Grimes likes this.
  20. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I've been wondering that too but I don't think it matters at this point. :laugh:

21. ricks

It was never really my point when starting the thread. Besides it's subjective anyhow :)

But....

I now have both 35DP masterings to go along with the "unique" Japan for US 10 track. I've had that CD for over 20 year and never knew it was so "rare". It always sounded really good to me. In any case I will eventually get around to doing some blind a/b (or is it a/b/c?) compares. Although my feeling is the 2 channel on the SACD will be tough to beat.

Rick

22. evad

evad Well-Known Member

Thanks Rick. I look forward to your opinion on the various versions.

I initially liked the SACD 2 channel....and I still like it, but my Japan for US (9 track) sounds much more relaxed. The 5.1 mix is just awesome. I also have the 6016 Japan for Japan....but it's eq'd a little off for my taste from what I remember.

23. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

my US has the same mastering as the japan for US 10 track. I dont think it sounds very good.

24. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

A small variation: My CD has the same peak levels as the "US for US, CK 34987, 1B CK34987 12 B", i.e. time is 42:36, number of tracks is 9, and the peak level of track 1 is 80.2%. But the notations on the CD are a bit different:

CK 34987
    DIDP 050002
    Columbia logo
    (p) 1977 CBS Inc.
    matrix: F1 18 CK34987 26

25. Bertly

Bertly Senior Member

I looked at what I'm assuming is a U.S. pressing, as only the artwork reads "record manufactured in Japan".
    EAC shows the time as 42:32 and with ten tracks.

Matrix: CK34987 3/88 1B51