Billy Joel - The Stranger Mobile Fidelity - Anyone have it?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RatFarm, Jun 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

I hear it too, but I also hear in the 2008 Remaster too (and the 2011 Remaster in the complete collection box set, which is the same for that title.) I don't have the original, so I don't know if it is on that.

2. evad

evad Well-Known Member

Sounds like "the click" should be on both the MFSL redbook and SACD layer.

3. Blue Collar Man

Blue Collar Man Active Member

Has anyone tried contacting Mofi?

4. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Last resort it seems. Hard to believe the number is toll free given the reluctance to use it. :D

5. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

There is a small click at 0:53 on Movin' Out on my early CBS CD (CK 34987). I admit I never would have heard it if I wasn't specifically listening for it, but its definitely there.

6. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Could it possibly be on the original tape? :idea:

7. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

Honestly I was thinking it sounds more like an analog pop than a digital one, but didn't want to get publicly humiliated if I was wrong. ;)

I feel like the click exists in the mist of the music which to me suggests tape. Whereas, a digital click would represent a data corruption which would mean there would be no other sound at all? Perhaps, I'm oversimplifying. But one vote here for its in the original tape :):ducks in advance for the coming fallout:: )!

8. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

The click at 0:54 is also on the unremastered CD (CBS CK 34987).

9. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

Well folks having gotten my copy recently I'm over the moon with it, lovely EQ and certainly less 'loud' compared to the last Columbia remaster. That click might be on the tape but I dare say if it had been removed some would screamed blue murder over it (or alleged noise reduction was used). Seems to me they can't do right for wrong with some folks.

10. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I sent an e-mail asking about it. If they respond, I'll post that here.

11. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

I have the stereo-only JSACD and the Mofi. The Mofi is smoother overall and makes the boosted high-end of the JSACD quite obvious, especially when you crank it up.

12. CT Dave

CT Dave Senior Member

The click is also on the original vinyl. I thought it was a defect on my LP until I bought the first pressing CD and it was there as well.

13. steeler1979

steeler1979 Darren from Nashville

Just listened to the SACD layer and I think it sounds great. 52nd Street wasn't amazing but I do like Glass Houses on MoFi SACD. Claus and others didn't seem to care much for that one so opinion varies. I think history will be kind to the MoFi The Stranger SACD, I'm very pleased with it.

14. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Listening to The Stranger now and am loving it.

15. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

There are two clicks on track 1...at around :50 and :54 on the SACD layer...it's on every version I've heard before so I would assume as eelkiller said, it's on the master.

16. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

Any news about Songs in the Attic and Nylon Curtain?

17. Brian W.

Brian W. Senior Member

Nylon Curtain is already available for order. Heard nothing about Songs in the Attic.

18. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I received the SACD of The Nylon Curtain from Music Direct at the end of last week.

19. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Ditto. Some have said it is bass heavy...not on my system. The Stranger and 52nd Street are some of the best MOFIs in awhile. :cheers:

20. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

So did I and it sounds excellent, just like the others.

21. Rated-R-Ron

Rated-R-Ron Forum Resident

Just got done listening to the SACD layer of "The Stranger" and here are some quick impressions:

This release can be called "LP On Disc"
    The thing sounds beautiful, super smooth, very relaxed and laid back (maybe even a little too relaxed?)
    If I didn't know any better I would have thought I was listening to a super clean vinyl, no digital feel whatsoever.
    I would even go out on a limb and say that if Steve was to do this album, it would sound exactly the same, it has that Hoffman thing going.
    If anybody feels they're getting the whole picture with the old Sony SACD, then they're wrong.
    The Sony is an entirely different take on this album, almost like a different mix.
    While the Sony isn't bad by any means, it is brighter, compressed and "newer" sounding.
    This MFSL is probably the best "The Stranger" will ever sound, and for the love of god and our wallets, let this be the last time this album is reissued, as nothing more can be done with it.

22. trumpetplayer

trumpetplayer Senior Member

I agree both of those sacds sound great especially the Stranger. 52nd Street is not a great recording but I like what MOFI did with it. I really don't understand the bass heavy the other poster is talking about.

23. Claude

Claude Senior Member

The disc or the booklet?

Many early Sony SACDs reuse the late 90's CD reissue booklets, while the back cover is specific for the SACD. "The Stranger" was reissued on CD in 1998. No SACD was released before 1999.

http://www.amazon.com/Stranger-Billy-Joel/dp/B00000DCHC/

The US SACD (CS 69384) was apparently released in July 2001, while there is also a stereo only japan SACD (SRGS-4564)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004YC0D/

24. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

Ahhhh.... just ordered all 4 (Glass Houses, Stranger, 52nd and Nylon) - even though I have the Sony SACDs for Stranger and 52nd.

I was umming and ahhing and then remembered I've spent as much for one disc before now as I just spent on all of those.

Also I'm listening to the MFSL Turnstiles and it sounds so good I want more. :)

25. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

who did you order through ? I ordered through this mob ! http://www.importcds.com/Search/Guided/billy+joel?ed=4294958548

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.