Billy Joel Catalog To Be Reissued, New "Hits" Compilation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AKA, Oct 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

Those were two of the biggest mistakes he made during that era, in my opinion. The Mick Jones production caused Storm Front to sound very dated within just a few years of its release.

I have a Storm Front show (the Yankee Stadium Disney Channel special) and a River of Dreams show (from the box set) on DVD, and both shows are just lifeless and stale. I don't know if they're just "of their times," or if it has to do with the fact that the band is almost completely different, but I suspect the latter. I'd take the Live From Long Island show any day over these two.

2. marylanduser

marylanduser New Member

The one thing I'd love, love, love, love, love, love more than anything is an extended sax solo on "Just the Way You Are." It seems that it was pieced together from different takes, but I'd love for them to do something similar to what they did to "Zanzibar" on "My Lives" (which, by the way, did not include the entire solo from the original album version.)

Though if Billy feels the way he does about the song, this may be a pipe dream at best.

3. semidetached

semidetached Monkees Mixographist

The Stern crew were speaking about the appearance this week. Howard is very excited, he's been writing down questions and preparing more than usual. It's going to be killer, I can't wait.

4. Ringmaster_D

Ringmaster_D Surfer of Sound Waves

Agree 100% on all points. Nylon Curtain is my favorite as well. Maybe it's because I've always considered the album to be "Billy Joel Salutes The Beatles." There's some great songwriting on all the later albums, but the production kills them.

5. Tin Whisker

Tin Whisker Forum Resident

Except for the grainy filming style, I actually like the Yankee Stadium concert.

Great versions of "New York State Of Mind" and "Miami 2017".

And, speaking of "Miami 2017"....

I've always hated the "air raid / emergency vehicle siren" intro. Anyone else feel the same?

6. Stateless

Stateless New Member

That might of been what roped me in too. My older sister had all of his albums but TNC, Glass Houses & Songs In The Attic are the albums that really grabbed me.

7. Stateless

Stateless New Member

I heard they were moving a baby grand piano into the studio for him. He was on the phone with Howard a few weeks back for about an hour. Very interesting interview. I think they have been pretty good friends for a while.

8. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Howard said he's going to mention a song, have him play it, then have Billy tell him how/why he wrote it. With a very light commercial load as opposed to terrestrial radio, it should be a great show. I'm sure they'll go over an hour continuous for each segment.

9. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

That was Billy's decision to not call Doug Stegmeyer and Russell Javors back. he'd had enough after their complaining about tripl escale during the 1987 Russia tour...there's a glimpse of it in the "Matter Of Trust" documentary. It's a shame. I think he was on a roll with all of his frustration at the time, stemming from the lawsuit with his manager.

Billy's best band ended in mid-1981 when Richie Cannata left. But the band he had for the 1982 tour was damned good too. After that, Billy loses me...too many extra musicians onstage.

Hep Alien likes this.
  10. Stateless

Stateless New Member

Liberty DeVito is an amazing drummer.

Hep Alien likes this.
  11. Stateless

Stateless New Member

Billy said he quit smoking in his last interview with Stern. He might have more of a vocal range now than he had a few years back.

12. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Yes, Billy's muse got weaker after the stellar "The Nylon Curtain," but I still like every Billy Joel album with one exception: "Stormfront." I can't find anything to like about that album.

13. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Agreed :)

14. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

And So It Goes is one of my favorite BJ songs.

15. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

You're absolutely right. I thought there was one song I remembered liking, and that was it. For me the ONLY good song on the whole album. And it was actually a song from years prior (which makes sense).

Hep Alien likes this.
  16. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

How can The Hits not include "Uptown Girl"?!

17. rcb30

rcb30 Fender Rhodesian

In an earlier post, I theorized that every studio album had to be represented and no more than two tracks could go from any album. If that's in the ballpark, then maybe the real question is why pick those Innocent Man tracks instead of "Uptown Girl". Because I think it would be much harder to answer, Why does Innocent Man gets more tracks than Glass Houses, The Stranger, etc.

From the looks of the tracklist and similar tempos, the question probably came down to "Uptown Girl" vs. "Tell Her About It." Vidiot posted a list of Joel's hits earlier, and it looks like a tough call, but maybe they went with the #1 single.

18. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Yes he is! I wish they could bury the hatchet, but I don't believe that'll ever happen.

I agree Storm Front is his weakest (though The Bridge is not that far behind). But my favorite track is "Storm Front". I think it's a killer groove.

19. Tin Whisker

20. aarsonbet

aarsonbet Forum Resident

Oddly, I've found it to be just the reverse. There are several great songs on "Storm Front", with "Downeaster Alexa" and "Leningrad" being at the fore for me. "The Bridge" just never gripped me for some reason.

21. aarsonbet

aarsonbet Forum Resident

22. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

23. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

24. Tin Whisker

Give "The Bridge" another listen to. Start with the deep cuts instead of the ones that became more popular. Try it this way...

Running On Ice
    Getting Closer
    Code Of Silence
    Temptation
    This Is The Time
    Baby Grand
    Modern Woman
    A Matter Of Trust
    Big Man On Mulberry Street
    (I usually skip this one altogether, since it's my least favorite track.)

This is an album to listen to when your in a mellow mood.

I love his duet with Cindy Lauper on "Code Of Silence".

Hep Alien likes this.
  25. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

How can anyone not like "Baby Grand" with Ray Charles, especially if you see the video. Classic tune, IMHO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.