Bill Evans OJC vs. XRCD vs SHM-SACD (Bill Evans Trio - Definitive digital versions?) *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kimo, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

2. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I have most if not all of the Bill Evans SHM-SACDs and all of the XRCDs. I haven't directly compared the SHM-SACDs to the XRCDs. But lately when I'm in the mood for Bill Evans' music it's usually the XRCDs.

SOONERFAN likes this.
  3. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I have most if not all of the Bill Evans SHM-SACDs and all of the XRCDs. I haven't directly compared the SHM-SACDs to the XRCDs. But lately when I'm in the mood for Bill Evans' music it's usually the XRCDs.

4. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I think it might be best to combine this thread and "Bill Evans OJC vs. XRCD" thread. Just a thought as I've been bouncing back and forth between the two threads :).

Bill Evans OJC vs. XRCD

5. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

I would love to hear your thoughtd after a direct comparison if you get a chance.

6. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'd be glad to when I get some time. Any specific titles? I used have two Oppo's (103 and 105D) in my rack so it was easy to compare discs. Now they're in two different systems.

7. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Two threads merged. :)

Turmatic, Bill Mac and J.A.W. like this.
  8. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Good idea!

9. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

It was by request. :)

J.A.W. and Bill Mac like this.
  10. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

Yes. Everybody Digs Bill Evans, Explorations, Moonbeams, and How My Heart Sings. I understand the DCC releases are preferred for Portrait In Jazz, Know What I Mean, and Interplay. I understand the AP gold Waltz For Debby is the forum favorite.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  11. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Umm, "Debby"? :)

I'm not sure there was consensus about the AP gold being the forum favourite, but I don't have time to do a search, sorry.

12. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

Please, correct me if I am mistaken but this was the impression I got from the posts/threads I have read today. Personally, I only have the old OJC and the SHM-SACD for Debby.

13. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

OK, but if I remember correctly there wasn't consensus in the sense that it was unanimous - I may well be wrong, though, as I said I haven't read all the old posts. Anyway, in my view it's not that important what most people here think, it's your own preference that counts - at least that's how I see it :).

Bill Mac likes this.
  14. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Correct.

15. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

Sure, of course one's own preference is what counts. The problem is, some of these versions discussed here are out of print and very expensive. I don't want to seek out such an expensive disc without getting some opinions, especially of those that have both the SHM-SACD discs that I have and the XRCD versions (and AP Gold for Debby) that I do not. I am happy with the three DCC versions.

16. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

Better then the SHM-SACD versions?

17. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

Selfish bump (I love this thread)

Jam757 likes this.
  18. George P

George P Notable Member

Hi @SOONERFAN,

I noticed that you are eager to find the best masterings of Bill Evans's albums. Personally, I think the original OJC's, the XRCDs and the DCCs all sound excellent. If you want the very best, I suggest you go with the XRCDs and the DCCs. However, the original OJC's I have all sound great and cost much less. I honestly don't think you will be less than happy with them.

:wave:

Jam757, Bill Mac and SOONERFAN like this.
  19. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

With the exception of the Waltz for Debby XRCD, the wrong tapes were used for that one. The AP gold CD is the one to get if you want the album, or the Complete Village Vanguard Recordings, 1961 Riverside 3CD-set if you want everything from the 1961 Village Vanguard date. Avoid any XRCDs that were mastered in Japan by Japanese engineers and not by Alan Yoshida, the sound is harsh and pumped-up.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    doors1991 and hvbias like this.
  20. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

I just got the OJC of Waltz for D and it is great.

MadCowTX and Jam757 like this.
  21. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

P.S. it’s the sound of the piano that is so perfect.

22. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Hi, most who have the AP Gold feel it's best. I do agree with that as its truly excellent, Doug Sax did an incredible job using tube gear, however the original OJC is very, very close. In 2019 with the AP commanding approx $100USD, the original OJC at least in my area can be found in bins for about 1/50 of that price. As a result taking everything into consideration (Cost, Amount of Music, Quality of the Masterings,etc) the original OJC is my overall recommendation.

Please note I've never heard the SHM version.

SOONERFAN likes this.
  23. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

Very helpful. Thank you.

24. JackDVD78

JackDVD78 Forum Resident

the OOP XRCDs can be a bit pricey.

Having recently discovered Bill Evan’s music I’ve become a new fan.

Having missed out on the Mobile Fidelity One Step Saturday at the Village Vanguard LP set and because the third party prices are crazy. No way I will pay 300.00 plus

I instead decided to splurge on some OOP Analogue Procduction SACDs from a member on the forum. Can’t wait to get my hands on them.

After these I may seek out some of his other albums that never received SACD releases.

I just wish MoFi would also issue their Bill Evans mixes / titles to SACD format

25. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

My question is about the new OJC remasters (or in some cases called Keepnews collection). I am wondering why the 80s CDs would be better than these options which are widely available in mint condition.

I’ve been listening to Sunday and Waltz on Tidal (the remasters: Keepnews and OJC remasters) and it seems to me they share the same mastering of the Complete Village Vanguard Recordings, which sounds good.

XRCD and other options listed are hard to find and too expensive. Thanks!